Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03 - New discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Original (locked) thread, for reference, is here: Martian Wheels MW03

This new thread is created for discussion on this topic to continue, without any sharing of coupon codes, etc.

Thank you.

=====================
EDIT - inserting general moderation comment regarding this thread and another similar thread

General moderaton content

There is obvious passion to discuss aftermarket wheels on these boards, and that is obviously allowed. With that being said, there is a lot of discussion / debate on specifics in these threads, and much of it starts devolving into personal attacks between members on both sides.

After receiving multiple repeated reports on both threads (martian wheels and this one), please consider this a general public warning to keep any disagreements civil, on thread topic, and stay away from personal attacks. Its also "not ok" to rile up a disagreement, then start reporting posts that one doesnt agree with after riling up said disagreement.

I get the passion around the topic, but the discussion should be able to be had with respect on both sides. I dont want to have to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" regarding this thread but will do so to prevent repeated reports, attacks, etc.

Thank you for understanding
======================

Last edited:
D1D425AC-F337-4A66-8EF8-1F3E4C63AD4D.jpeg
Love my MW03’s!

I am also happy with my 18x8.5" MW03 wheels, as posted in the old thread. Even though at 18.9 Lbs, they were a pound overweight (post #271), there was a huge savings compared to the original 20" tires and wheels:.
"Original PS4S on 20" gunmetal cast wheels: 53.8-54.2 Lbs each.
CC+ on MW03 8.5"x18" wheels: 42.6-42.7 Lbs each.
Weight Savings 11.1 - 11.5 Lbs each, 45.0 Lbs, total. There is also a similar additional savings due to reduced rotational inertia."

My only complaint is that the plastic tool for removing the black plastic caps is too thick, making it difficult to insert both prongs. So I finally got around to making a new tool as described in the following pictures. The key component is a stainless steel strip, about 1/8" wide, from an old wiper blade insert, with notches at each end. You insert the end, then turn it 90° so the notch catches on the lip of the cap.

1. Clockwise: A. A Cap. B. A small square file used to sharpen the notch. C. One end of the wiper strip with sharpened corner of the notch to improve grip in the cap. D. Other end before sharpening.
20210218_205513.jpeg

2. Clockwise: A. The Cap, B. The original plastic tool, C. The new tool. Heat shrinkable tubing avoids scratching the wheel, yet still allows the end to easily slip next to the cap before twisting it 90° to grab the cap. The chain is from an old lighting fixture.
20210219_164412.jpeg

3. New tool in action. Sometimes, the cap will pop off using just one half of the tool.
20210219_164923.jpeg

Thanks. I thought about that. Or even drilling and tapping the center of the cap so you could use a small nylon screw to yank or jack it out. But, here in New England, I prefer to have the stud and lug nut fully protected.

A better but much more expensive solution would be to buy a set of closed-end lug nuts. Capped lug nuts might be cheaper, but can degrade in a way that could make it difficult to remove.

A cheaper method that may not look so good would be to replace all 20 caps with black vinyl tape cut as hexagons that stick to the lug nut. That would only work if the stud ends up recessed slightly with the nut fully torqued, which mine do. If any caps get lost, I will try that.

Reactions: android04
Just weighed my 19x9.5 satin black MW03's and they came in at 23.1lbs! Getting Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus's coming in at 26 lbs. Only a 2.75 lbs savings per corner, but a savings is a savings, right?

Anyone else sporting 19x9.5's? What kind of rubber did you choose?

Just weighed my 19x9.5 satin black MW03's and they came in at 23.1lbs! Getting Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus's coming in at 26 lbs. Only a 2.75 lbs savings per corner, but a savings is a savings, right?

Anyone else sporting 19x9.5's? What kind of rubber did you choose?
Wow...ANOTHER overweight story by false advertising. Go figure :rolleyes:. SMGDH.....

Dude, the wheel is under weight 😂 since I was thinking they'd come in at 24 lbs... Go figure. The website said 20.5 to 24lbs depending on width (8.5", 9", and 9.5")

Best thing is to just ignore and not respond to anything he posts in here. He has an obsession with trash talking the products instead of letting people be happy with their purchases and worrying about his own life.

Dude, the wheel is under weight 😂 since I was thinking they'd come in at 24 lbs... Go figure. The website said 20.5 to 24lbs depending on width (8.5", 9", and 9.5")
Wow. They actually revamped the site. Who woulda thought by calling them out they would actually change it. The last time I remember they said their 19s were 19.5 lbs. I still feel bad for those who bought previously with that impression.

Ultimately a win on manufacturer visibility for the now consumers which was always the ultimate goal.

BEFORE
1616818305513.jpeg

AFTER
1251C088-E88C-4707-9FCF-BA25037ABA5E.jpeg

Last edited:

Martian Wheels​

Martian Wheels also needs no introduction around here. Their MW03 wheels are fully forged, so light weight and strong coming, yet coming in at a reasonable price point. A wide variety of sizes ranging from 18"-20" and widths from 7.5"-9.5 in multiple finishes.

Recently fully restocked, we have cataloged Martian Wheels neatly in our store for you to have a refined shopping experience.
Take advantage of our free shipping code "TMCMODELPLUS" that expires at the end of this month!

-Danny
Speaking of Martian Wheels, we've just finished fully cataloging their MW03 wheel sets in our store. Happy stimulus shopping! :cool:

Best thing is to just ignore and not respond to anything he posts in here. He has an obsession with trash talking the products instead of letting people be happy with their purchases and worrying about his own life.

Yep, and it‘s an indication of lack of experience and ignorance.

I’ve lost count of the amount of wheels I’ve purchased over the last 30 years, and it’s completely normal for wheels to come in over their advertised weight. The last set I bought were TSW‘s, which were 1lb over their stated weight. Occasionally you buy a set that are under the advertised weight, which is great, but that’s not the norm.

Speaking of Martian Wheels, we've just finished fully cataloging their MW03 wheel sets in our store. Happy stimulus shopping! :cool:
I'd assume 80% or more of us here won't be getting any stimulus. Either way, these wheels have caught my attention. Can't decide between trying to go for a range play or full out track package and keep my Uberturbines for daily use

I'd assume 80% or more of us here won't be getting any stimulus. Either way, these wheels have caught my attention. Can't decide between trying to go for a range play or full out track package and keep my Uberturbines for daily use
The problem with Uberturbines is that they aren't good for anything and especially daily. No, they are not bad for showroom sales. My winter package is on 20 inch and I hate the ride.

Yep, and it‘s an indication of lack of experience and ignorance.

I’ve lost count of the amount of wheels I’ve purchased over the last 30 years, and it’s completely normal for wheels to come in over their advertised weight. The last set I bought were TSW‘s, which were 1lb over their stated weight. Occasionally you buy a set that are under the advertised weight, which is great, but that’s not the norm.
Within 1 lb...sure. But 3.5lb deviation? Yeah right. Who are YOU kidding? Even Martian knew how wrong it was and changed the website and all of its wording. It’s completely different now. If they knew they weren’t in the wrong doing they wouldn’t have changed it. I’m sure the masses and information across social media and all my efforts has gotten back to them and now it’s for the better FOR THE CONSUMER.
The ultimate end result is visibility to the consumer instead of false advertising especially from someone that does solely a tesla product but isn’t a vendor on this forum. Unplugged, MPP, Signature, Redwood, Etc all provide products and respond to the consumer feedback.

Are we still beleaguering this point?

it seems to me like they acknowledge the discrepancy and changes their site.

I have no clue how their wheels are, but it seems many have had great results, and they are quite light at 20.5 for a 19x8.5.

Can we get back to discussing their product rather than what their website used to say? I’m in the market for wheels and don’t really care what the website said before , just what their product offers.

Within 1 lb...sure. But 3.5lb deviation? Yeah right. Who are YOU kidding? Even Martian knew how wrong it was and changed the website and all of its wording. It’s completely different now. If they knew they weren’t in the wrong doing they wouldn’t have changed it. I’m sure the masses and information across social media and all my efforts has gotten back to them and now it’s for the better FOR THE CONSUMER.
The ultimate end result is visibility to the consumer instead of false advertising especially from someone that does solely a tesla product but isn’t a vendor on this forum. Unplugged, MPP, Signature, Redwood, Etc all provide products and respond to the consumer feedback.

Actually, checking the figures I wrote down, it was 1kg, so 2.2lbs. So what is the acceptable limit? Perhaps you should e-mail TSW and tell them your displeasured about their wheels that you’re never going to buy.

So, I take it you’re reporting all these companies via the correct legal channels due to their false advertising? If not, then why not, as you seem to be obsessed with it. And if not, it pretty well just shows you’re all mouth and no trousers.

• Funny
Reactions: TwoK4drSi and Sam1
Actually, checking the figures I wrote down, it was 1kg, so 2.2lbs. So what is the acceptable limit? Perhaps you should e-mail TSW and tell them your displeasured about their wheels that you’re never going to buy.

So, I take it you’re reporting all these companies via the correct legal channels due to their false advertising? If not, then why not, as you seem to be obsessed with it. And if not, it pretty well just shows you’re all mouth and no trousers.
Actually not an apple to apple comparison by a mile.
1. TSW is NOT a Tesla vehicle specific wheel company. So do I care? Not really. I only care about products made specifically for the community. That’s like me caring about quality control of a ford vehicle while owning a Tesla.

2. MARTIAN makes only wheel 1 design. 1 DESIGN. We aren’t EVEN talking in the same ballpark as TSW. They make hundreds of wheels, hundreds of designs, different offset, different widths, different PCD and center bore catered to hundreds of cars. This is exactly where the phase “You only had 1 job” is inserted into comment. They don’t even make model S and X wheels. So yeah...apples to rocks comparison when talking about weight. You can go preach to TSW if you’d like but for me since Martian is a Tesla specific wheel I will preach here since I know people with them dissatisfied with their weight and marketing.

3. If you don’t feel that better visibility from a company is better for the community and that the Martian website is now for the better for its consumers then I have no more words to speak to you about and your argument is moreso personal than for your peers.

4. Personal attacks do get you reported so I’d recommend staying on topic without personal snippet comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.