Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03 - New discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 18x7.5 on Pilot Sport 4S's and regularly do drag racing so punching it from a standstill. The tires may have squeaked about 5 or so times out of 300+ launches. After a pass or two and some heat in the tires they have never spun at all. The Michelin's are a great tire so you definitely want a quality compound If you plan on launching it over and over again without loss of traction.
Any issues if I use pilot sport all season 4 with these narrow wheels? Do you wish you had gone with the 8.5 width to be able to swap oem tires?

Yes. We just placed an order earlier this week.
Is there anything in specific that I may be able to help you answer?

Danny
Their website shows the matte gunmetal as almost a bluish color while the regular gunmetal (not available) has a lot more of a copper hue in the photos. Is that right or are they just poor photos? Surprised the two gunmetal finishes are shown to be so radically different. I also see the 18" - 8.5" in matte gunmetal is listed as a expected June shipping. I wonder if that is pretty firm.

Any issues if I use pilot sport all season 4 with these narrow wheels? Do you wish you had gone with the 8.5 width to be able to swap oem tires?
Narrow wheels help I'm snow/slush. My car came with 20s so I had to get new tires anyways. I haven't tried the new all season 4 tire. I have a as3+ set which was the previous generation I believe. Do you think you will be using the car on the dragstrip? For everyday normal driving it should be fine as I use the AS3+ but I do not push the car on the road.

Yes. We just placed an order earlier this week.
Is there anything in specific that I may be able to help you answer?

Danny
Hey Danny,

I've been looking to get the 18x7.5" MW03 wheels but am struggling to learn tire sizing. Any chance you could inform me on what size tires I should be getting? Was looking at michelin pilot A/S 4's for my 2021 M3P. I know I should do a set of snow tires and summer tires, but I simply don't have the storage space for 4 tires in my apartment and I live near Boston so I need to be able to drive in any season. I've currently got the 20" ubertubines with perrelli's.

Their website shows the matte gunmetal as almost a bluish color while the regular gunmetal (not available) has a lot more of a copper hue in the photos. Is that right or are they just poor photos? Surprised the two gunmetal finishes are shown to be so radically different. I also see the 18" - 8.5" in matte gunmetal is listed as a expected June shipping. I wonder if that is pretty firm.

I searched around and couldn't find any real photos of Satin Gunmetal vs Gunmetal, sorry couldn't be of help on this one.
Hey Danny,

I've been looking to get the 18x7.5" MW03 wheels but am struggling to learn tire sizing. Any chance you could inform me on what size tires I should be getting? Was looking at michelin pilot A/S 4's for my 2021 M3P. I know I should do a set of snow tires and summer tires, but I simply don't have the storage space for 4 tires in my apartment and I live near Boston so I need to be able to drive in any season. I've currently got the 20" ubertubines with perrelli's.
If you're aiming for the 18x7.5, it's likely you favor range over performance.
In that case, I would opt for the A/S 4 in factory 18" 235/45/18 size.
For how heavy these cars actually are, 235/45 is considered "undersized" by most.
Given that you have a M3P, I wouldn't go any narrower in case you want to have some fun from time to time :cool: .

As @Mahamilto mentioned, the Michelin Pilot A/S 4 are fantastic all around tires.

Let me know, if I can help you place an order on the MW03s.

Thanks,

Danny

I searched around and couldn't find any real photos of Satin Gunmetal vs Gunmetal, sorry couldn't be of help on this one.

If you're aiming for the 18x7.5, it's likely you favor range over performance.
In that case, I would opt for the A/S 4 in factory 18" 235/45/18 size.
For how heavy these cars actually are, 235/45 is considered "undersized" by most.
Given that you have a M3P, I wouldn't go any narrower in case you want to have some fun from time to time :cool: .

As @Mahamilto mentioned, the Michelin Pilot A/S 4 are fantastic all around tires.

Let me know, if I can help you place an order on the MW03s.

Thanks,

Danny
Unless you REALLY need the range, I’d avoid the 7.5

My first 1k miles with the 19x9 forgestar with 245/40/19 AS4s got slightly better kWh/mi than the uberturbines with the 235/35/20 summer tires. Like 296 vs 302. So really a push

in my opinion, the grip is slightly less due to the compound, but by adding contact (new tires are 8.9” contact vs 7.9” on stock) it is very slightly less.

I’d imagine going to AS compound and going narrowing would significantly diminish handling, while improving range. I wouldn’t give that up on a performance.

Only reason I’d go with the 7.5 is as a true winter option. Otherwise stick with 8.5 and keep ur contact patch at least at stock.

Reactions: MODEL+
Awaiting seller completion of transaction - but potentially my M3P with MW rims. Due to road conditions may drop to 19s or 18s.

20210307_140414.jpg

Unless you REALLY need the range, I’d avoid the 7.5

My first 1k miles with the 19x9 forgestar with 245/40/19 AS4s got slightly better kWh/mi than the uberturbines with the 235/35/20 summer tires. Like 296 vs 302. So really a push

in my opinion, the grip is slightly less due to the compound, but by adding contact (new tires are 8.9” contact vs 7.9” on stock) it is very slightly less.

I’d imagine going to AS compound and going narrowing would significantly diminish handling, while improving range. I wouldn’t give that up on a performance.

Only reason I’d go with the 7.5 is as a true winter option. Otherwise stick with 8.5 and keep ur contact patch at least at stock.
Maybe a dumb question, but when and where did you get the AS4 in 245/40/19? I am taking delivery on the 8th and was going to swap to AS4 in 245/40/19 on my SV104s but I was told they could not get that size currently, saying it was not coming out till next month. I thought that sounded suspicious but when I go.to Michelins website they do not list that size for the AS4s. So having to go with AS3+.

Maybe a dumb question, but when and where did you get the AS4 in 245/40/19? I am taking delivery on the 8th and was going to swap to AS4 in 245/40/19 on my SV104s but I was told they could not get that size currently, saying it was not coming out till next month. I thought that sounded suspicious but when I go.to Michelins website they do not list that size for the AS4s. So having to go with AS3+.
Tire rack. Had them in 2d. Yeah Michelins website is not reflecting the size... but they are on my car so unless I’m miss something I think their site is wrong.
478592E3-3F7E-423C-B4DA-9293DFAD27BE.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.