Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03 - New discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@MODEL+
Hi Danny,
If you have them on hand, can you help check and see which MW03 color is closest to the shade of the factory Tesla center caps? All the websites say they're compatible with the factory Tesla center caps, but don't advise on which color actually matches. Thanks!
Hi,

Tesla's black caps will match with Satin Black, and Tesla's grey "Aero wheel" caps will match Gunmetal.

Danny

Some MW03 motivation.

C9EF3FFC-4E03-4FB4-9475-DB00ABF1606F.jpeg
97D691BA-7C0A-47A7-A785-EB8AD731B4E3.jpeg
F7B578B5-BD72-4660-9B4E-A514EADC0518.jpeg

Hey everyone - Bit of a noob here and requesting some help. I'm taking delivery of an M3P in a few weeks and am looking at the 18 inch MW03's to replace the stock 20" uberturbines with. Problem is, I can't decide between 7.5 or 8.5 widths or which size tires to go with them. I live in northern California where the weather is decent, but it's potholes galore and I drive up to the snow pretty often each winter. I'd like to have only one set of wheels and tires so I'm leaning toward the Michelin Cross Climate 2's but open to other suggestions. My key question is what are the tradeoffs among the three wheel+tire combinations below? Would like to understand affects on handling, acceleration, speedometer, efficiency, and curb rash protection.

18x7.5 with 235/45
18x8.5 with 235/45
18x8.5 with 245/45

Thanks all.

Is Martian Wheels still in business? They don't answer emails and their phone goes to straight to voice mail.
I've definitely had the same problem for the past two weeks.

Really wish someone at martian would answer their phone/email.

I'm looking for winter wheel set with the most range and I'm debating between EVO1+ wheels which only come in stock size, so 18/8.5 wheels with their aero covers vs the martian 18/7.5 wheels.

I'm not certain which of the two wheel set options provides the most range as the EVO1+ with aero covers would beat most other 18in wheels without aero covers, but the martian 18/7.5 in wheels are 3-4lbs lighter per wheel than the EVO1+, and if I run a 225 width tire with the narrower martian wheels that would give less rolling resistance.

Any of you guys know which of those two wheel options would provide more range for my winter tire set?

I'm looking for winter wheel set with the most range and I'm debating between EVO1+ wheels which only come in stock size, so 18/8.5 wheels with their aero covers vs the martian 18/7.5 wheels.

I'm not certain which of the two wheel set options provides the most range as the EVO1+ with aero covers would beat most other 18in wheels without aero covers, but the martian 18/7.5 in wheels are 3-4lbs lighter per wheel than the EVO1+, and if I run a 225 width tire with the narrower martian wheels that would give less rolling resistance.

Any of you guys know which of those two wheel options would provide more range for my winter tire set?
Aerodynamic design (e.g. more surface area) and weight, combined with low rolling resistance tires, will yield more range than a lighter weight wheel does with the same tires. If the weight of the wheels was a more important factor in EV range, then Tesla would place more emphasis on offering more lightweight wheels as opposed to aerodynamic design of wheels. Yet, you see all their OEM wheels are relatively heavy with more emphasis on aero design.

Reactions: Clivew
Aerodynamic design (e.g. more surface area) and weight, combined with low rolling resistance tires, will yield more range than a lighter weight wheel does with the same tires. If the weight of the wheels was a more important factor in EV range, then Tesla would place more emphasis on offering more lightweight wheels as opposed to aerodynamic design of wheels. Yet, you see all their OEM wheels are relatively heavy with more emphasis on aero design.
thank you.

honestly if you're talking about actual winter tires, those usually have such a low wear rating (if they even have a rating) that aerodynamics of the wheel isn't going to make much of a difference unless you're going on hour long trips at highway speeds on a regular basis. All season tires would be a bit different though.

If you can't get in touch with martian, Jova is still open and running full speed (but shipping is taking a long time unless you pay for air shipping), they're cheaper, better quality, and more choices.

More MW03 love..... downsized from the 20" stock performance wheel to MW Gunmetal19x8.5 et35 with 245/40x19 Michelin PS4S.

Martian Wheel/tire combo weight= 46lbs.... wheel weight with sensors and balancing weights=22 lbs

Stock 20" M3P wheel/tire combo weight=52 lbs. -- savings of 6lbs of unsprung weight per corner-- I'll take it. ;)

Martian front.jpg
martian wheels-5-15.jpg

More MW03 love..... downsized from the 20" stock performance wheel to MW Gunmetal19x8.5 et35 with 245/40x19 Michelin PS4S.

Martian Wheel/tire combo weight= 46lbs.... wheel weight with sensors and balancing weights=22 lbs

Stock 20" M3P wheel/tire combo weight=52 lbs. -- savings of 6lbs of unsprung weight per corner-- I'll take it. ;)

View attachment 697787View attachment 697788
How's the road noise with the switch to PS4Ss and no acoustic foam? I just ordered some 19" MW03s, satin gunmetal, but am wondering if I should go with the 18" wheels to enable the use of the Tesla acoustic foam 18" PS4s :eek:

I'm also struggling between Gunmetal and Satin Gunmetal!! I was thinking that the satin gunmetal would be more similar to my current dark gray uberturbines.

How's the road noise with the switch to PS4Ss and no acoustic foam? I just ordered some 19" MW03s, satin gunmetal, but am wondering if I should go with the 18" wheels to enable the use of the Tesla acoustic foam 18" PS4s :eek:

I'm also struggling between Gunmetal and Satin Gunmetal!! I was thinking that the satin gunmetal would be more similar to my current dark gray uberturbines.
I really haven't noticed any difference in road noise, but you would think the foam has to have some effect. I went with Gunmetal for some "gloss" (depending upon the lighting) -- you can't go wrong either way. What size wheel are you running currently?

A few photos of the wheels after lowering the car.....
left side post settling.jpg
left side after settling1.jpg
rt side after settling.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.