Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries. I didn't take it that way at all. It is just a bit difficult holding a 23lb wheel with my hands and trying to snap a photo at the same time. The wheels don't sit properly by itself on the scale so I can't take a photo that way either.
You can actually put the wheel gently face down on the scale and take a reading between the spokes. Here’s a spare oem 19” wheel I have laying around.
BFC26DCE-D2FE-4CC7-9457-3985BC44B03E.jpeg

or you can do the Qtip method to keep it from rolling
6E63544E-5D4B-406A-9A42-A838EB8B5E84.jpeg

Last edited:
You can actually put the wheel gently face down on the scale and take a reading between the spokes. Here’s a spare oem 19” wheel I have laying around.
View attachment 582876
or you can do the Qtip method to keep it from rolling
View attachment 582878

The wheels are 9.5" width and are too wide to place on the scale in any orientation. If I find a large scale I'll give it another go. But I think my previous method of calculating should be fairly accurate. I did tested this with some dumbbells with marked weights and my scale was accurate.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
You mentioned my name. All of the tires in the rolling resistance study are with standard
Sorry that got cut short from my phone. Here is what I meant to say:
You mentioned my name. All of the tires in the rolling resistance study are with standard Tesla OEM rim sizes, mostly 18"x8.5". Others have noted that narrower rims would improve winter traction but hurt dry cornering, etc. Be careful about going too small, not only because of speedo error, but also load rating.

Reactions: dpeilow
Speaking of narrow tires. Most tires designed to have best traction at 35 psi. Tesla already uses more narrow tires than it should with target of 42-45 on XL tires. Limit on a car tires is ~50. Ideal temperature for traction usually +40F (or +100F for sport tires). Every 10F roughly adds 4/3 psi of pressure (more precise is here Tire Pressure Temperature Calculator - TirePressure.com). Narrower tires cool down slower proportionally. So check with calculator that you won't be above 50 psi hot or 45 cold and remember that anything above 35 is already decreasing traction.

But narrower tires can be higher load capacity. Say 215x50 r18 SL needs 36 psi vs 42 psi on 235x35 r20 XL.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've already noted that when you go down to 215/45 the tires with sufficient load rating only have at best a C rating on the EU scale.

Looks like I will settle on 225/45. There are a couple of candidates: Continental EcoContact 6 (Jaguar OEM version) which are A for economy, A for grip and 72 dB noise or Pirelli Cinturato P7 which are A for economy, B for grip and 69 dB noise. I might go with the less noise.

3 dB diffrence means twice the sound level. I have Pirelli's now, the Cinturato all season plus, which is also 69dB.
It is really a big diffrence in sound level, compared to the stock performance tyres, Michelins PS4S wich are 72dB.
CUP2 is 71dB and it's definitely more loud than 4S, don't know how to trust those things.

Did anyone ordered the Martian Wheels MW03 in 19x9.5" +45 offset for their Model Y? Site specs are 19.5 lbs but I weighed them at 23 lbs. This is 3.5 lbs and much more than I was expecting. So strange and disappointed as I bought them for the weight saving performance.

UPDATE 09-01-2020:
Martian Wheels called me back. Confirm there was an error with the weight posted as he said these were new product. Albeit he said they got 22.5lbs instead of my 23 lbs measured. No plans to making another revision when I asked. Unfortunate situation as I told him as I might have went with TSportline TST since weight is close at their estimate of 25.95 lbs. But the MW03 are fully forged as he confirmed. So decided to keep the wheels. He did offered to ship back for free and refund but since I already paid taxes, duty and brokerage fees which I don't think I can get back.

UPDATE 09-01-2020:
Martian Wheels called me back. Confirm there was an error with the weight posted as he said these were new product. Albeit he said they got 22.5lbs instead of my 23 lbs measured. No plans to making another revision when I asked. Unfortunate situation as I told him as I might have went with TSportline TST since weight is close at their estimate of 25.95 lbs. But the MW03 are fully forged as he confirmed. So decided to keep the wheels. He did offered to ship back for free and refund but since I already paid taxes, duty and brokerage fees which I don't think I can get back.

Coming from China?

Not sure where manufactured but had some oriental marking so most likely China or Taiwan. The max load rating is 1,000 kg vs 900kg on TST from TSportline. Yeah wish it was lighter but at the end of the day I guess ok with it since fully forged.

So they are manufactured in china. There are a handful of companies on alibaba that do that, there is a thread about it since a few members including myself ordered from.

Just fyi, direct from manufacturer, i priced out the martian wheels with their finish, in 20" $216 a piece 350 shipping fully forged. I bet martian is using one of those manufacturers. You can find the design on the manufacturers website.

I don't think wheels from china are bad, I bought a set being made right now. I just argued in other threads that the middleman is useless.

What did you pay in duty fees? I'm in vancouver having shipping from china as well, if you could pm me.

UPDATE 09-01-2020:
Wow. That’s sucks. Totally false advertisement for at least 3 people. Im sure there are more people who are mum about their wheel weights just to have a set. Let’s see how long it takes for them to change this. We can timestamp it now
2905C1A9-2B72-4F0A-8050-CDA3BFCB8D60.jpeg

Wow. That’s sucks. Totally false advertisement for at least 3 people. Im sure there are more people who are mum about their wheel weights just to have a set. Let’s see how long it takes for them to change this. We can timestamp it nowView attachment 583360

Now taking bets on whether or not Martian is blind selling wheels from a chinese manufacturer that he found on alibaba.

+1 for yes

Not sure where manufactured but had some oriental marking so most likely China or Taiwan. The max load rating is 1,000 kg vs 900kg on TST from TSportline. Yeah wish it was lighter but at the end of the day I guess ok with it since fully forged.

That would be the last thing I would be thinking after dropping $2k on something.

UPDATE of post#372:
Martian Wheels MW03
Well, using all of these results plus more detailed reviews like "Are These Grand Touring All-Season Tires the way of the Future" TireRack Sept 29, 2017, I decided on CrossClimate+ from Tire Rack. Vredestine Quatrac5 was second, with lower cost and a bit better rolling resistance at the expense of almost everything else. The best rolling resistance would be Primacy MXM4, but it really gives up way too much in other performance characteristics and is very expensive and heavy. A few other advantages of the CC+ are 3 mountain snowflake symbol, rim protection, Emerging Groove technology, an EU label of CB69, a price that just dropped from $208 to $200.51, A $ 120 rebate from Michelin, no MA sales tax during the past weekend, and a weight of just 23Lb (vs. 25 for the MXM4 and 24-26 for the others). That will make uo for the 1 lb overweight M3 wheels (see post#271 Martian Wheels MW03)

Today, I took of one of the 20" wheels off the front and stuck on a MW03 18"x8.5" wheel, not yet having a tire mounted, just to try it out. Here are a couple of measurements that may be helpful:
  • Clearance between outermost extent of the big red Brembo Caliper to the inside of the rim: 0.418" minimum.
  • Clearance between inside edge of rim and suspension upright: 0.634"
These measurements were made using telescoping gages and a dial-type caliper.

I just got an email that the tires are at the installer's, so I will take the wheels there to be mounted.

BTW: RE-TORQUE YOUR LUG NUTS!...MINE WERE ALL WELL BELOW 129 FT-LBS.

Last edited:
Hi - I've just ordered a set of the Martian 18x7.5s for my M3P and wanted to get some advice on the best tire to go for to totally maximise efficiency ( @TonyJag ?).

Basically, will a 205/45 or 215/45 EU B rated tire give better Wh/mile than a 225/45 A rated? Or are there too many other variables?

Second question: Will the stock Tesla aero covers from the SR+ fit onto these wheels?

If you can bench 0-60 on those when you get them, interested myself for range and quicker 0-60!

Reactions: dpeilow
I would like to do some 0 to 60 runs with the current 20" PS4S to compare with similar runs after I get the lighter CC+ mounted on my lighter MW03 8"x18" wheels later this week. It appears that Track Mode has a lap timer, but I don't see any 0-60 timer. I have an old Android app called "Car Performance". is there a newer, better Android app that anyone can recommend? Thanks.

So they are manufactured in china. There are a handful of companies on alibaba that do that, there is a thread about it since a few members including myself ordered from.

Just fyi, direct from manufacturer, i priced out the martian wheels with their finish, in 20" $216 a piece 350 shipping fully forged. I bet martian is using one of those manufacturers. You can find the design on the manufacturers website.

I don't think wheels from china are bad, I bought a set being made right now. I just argued in other threads that the middleman is useless.

What did you pay in duty fees? I'm in vancouver having shipping from china as well, if you could pm me.

do you have a link to the alibaba site. Curious if they have the same split 7 spoke design and what the direct manufacture price difference is. The invoice was confusing but paid about $120’ish for brokerage fees and rest taxes/duty. Total came to around $600 cad so yeah not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.