Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to do some 0 to 60 runs with the current 20" PS4S to compare with similar runs after I get the lighter CC+ mounted on my lighter MW03 8"x18" wheels later this week. It appears that Track Mode has a lap timer, but I don't see any 0-60 timer. I have an old Android app called "Car Performance". is there a newer, better Android app that anyone can recommend? Thanks.

You need something like dragy to make reasonably accurate recordings. Cellphone apps are not going to do it for minor modifications.

do you have a link to the alibaba site. Curious if they have the same split 7 spoke design and what the direct manufacture price difference is. The invoice was confusing but paid about $120’ish for brokerage fees and rest taxes/duty. Total came to around $600 cad so yeah not cheap.

Forged Wheels Suppliers - Reliable Forged Wheels Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

Martian was one that I was considering, I think the design is ok but after looking through all these manufacturers I priced out a wheel like the Martian wheel, it was $864 for the wheels same finish, fully forged 6061 and $250-350 shipping (depending on manufacturer) Multiple manufacturers have similar designs, they copy everything.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I would like to do some 0 to 60 runs with the current 20" PS4S to compare with similar runs after I get the lighter CC+ mounted on my lighter MW03 8"x18" wheels later this week. It appears that Track Mode has a lap timer, but I don't see any 0-60 timer. I have an old Android app called "Car Performance". is there a newer, better Android app that anyone can recommend? Thanks.

you will have to record the center dash with speed and a google webpage stopwatch on the side. Then you watch and start last frame of 0 to first frame of 60 in the video and subtract from timer value.

• Informative
Reactions: TonyJag
You need something like dragy to make reasonably accurate recordings. Cellphone apps are not going to do it for minor modifications.

Sam1, Thanks. My S10+ phone updates GPS about once per second. Dragy does it 10 times faster (10Hz), so you are right. There is another similar unit that is 20Hz and can be used for drag as well as track events. It is the P-GEAR P-610. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/P-GEAR-Laptimer-10hz-P600-P-Box/dp/B01N6A7M88

These devices remind me of the Geez-Cube that I used with a Palm Pilot during my autocross days.

you will have to record the center dash with speed and a google webpage stopwatch on the side. Then you watch and start last frame of 0 to first frame of 60 in the video and subtract from timer value.
Thanks for the great idea! I found an Android app called Timbre that works on mp4 files from the Android camera. It has an Exact Frame view with readout resolution to 1 millisecond. So I could video the speed readout during a 0-60 run

Kalim,
Thanks for the great idea! I found a free Android app called Timbre that works on mp4 files from the Android camera. It has an Exact Frame view with readout resolution to 1 millisecond. So I could video the speed readout during a 0-60 run, then on playback subtract the time when it just reaches 60 from the time when it just moves above zero. I will try it and post the result.

Kalim,
Thanks for the great idea! I found a free Android app called Timbre that works on mp4 files from the Android camera. It has an Exact Frame view with readout resolution to 1 millisecond. So I could video the speed readout during a 0-60 run, then on playback subtract the time when it just reaches 60 from the time when it just moves above zero. I will try it and post the result.

Awesome, I will try it out as well.

Y'all are trying to fight it too hard. Dragy is only $150. There's no way an app and cobbled together recordings is going to get you accurate times. Generally a smartphone gps is accurate down to 15 feet at best, and these cars accelerate from 0-60 in less than 150 feet. So you've already got a potential 10% variation before even starting.

Y'all are trying to fight it too hard. Dragy is only $150. There's no way an app and cobbled together recordings is going to get you accurate times. Generally a smartphone gps is accurate down to 15 feet at best, and these cars accelerate from 0-60 in less than 150 feet. So you've already got a potential 10% variation before even starting.

Wrong

The GPS positioning error only matters when measuring timing over fixed point e.g. 0 - 60 ft.

The GPS speed measurement is much more precise -- and it is NOT calculated from change of the receiver's position. And hence is measuring video-recorded GPS speed vs frame timing (24hz) is fairly good

The method we proposed in post#446 does not use GPS at all. Using. only the video camera of a cell phone (or a go-pro if you have one), It video-records the Tesla's speedometer directly. If there is any delay, it would affect both the 0 and 60 MPH timestamps, so would cancel out. But there may be quantization errors. Does anyone know how frequently the Tesla's speedometer updates?

Using a Dragy (10Hz) would certainly be easier, avoiding camera mounting, and would give immediate readings without fiddly post processing. Again,
There is another similar unit that is 20Hz and can be used for drag as well as track events. It is the P-GEAR P-610. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/P-GEAR-Laptimer-10hz-P600-P-Box/dp/B01N6A7M88

Unfortunately, it seems to be currently unavailable.

UPDATE 09-01-2020:
Martian Wheels called me back. Confirm there was an error with the weight posted as he said these were new product. Albeit he said they got 22.5lbs instead of my 23 lbs measured. No plans to making another revision when I asked. Unfortunate situation as I told him as I might have went with TSportline TST since weight is close at their estimate of 25.95 lbs. But the MW03 are fully forged as he confirmed. So decided to keep the wheels. He did offered to ship back for free and refund but since I already paid taxes, duty and brokerage fees which I don't think I can get back.
So they changed their numbers but Lol. Still KNOWINGLY short changing .5-1 lbs to make a sale.

And to make matters worse...there’s ONLY 1 style of wheel in TWO widths per size except 18s. How hard is it to display real weight? So in total there’s (1) 18s, (2) 19s, (2) 20s...so only 5 weights to disclose for the Y. Business principles.

• Informative
Reactions: KingsT910 and Atraf
So they changed their numbers but Lol. Still KNOWINGLY short changing .5-1 lbs to make a sale.

And to make matters worse...there’s ONLY 1 style of wheel in TWO widths per size except 18s. How hard is it to display real weight? So in total there’s (1) 18s, (2) 19s, (2) 20s...so only 5 weights to disclose for the Y. Business principles.

Probably weighed the one they got and said good enough (if they even saw 1)

If you read from the guy that posted the weight the shipment came from China. So they are blind selling the wheels from a factory.

Forged Wheels Suppliers - Reliable Forged Wheels Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

Martian was one that I was considering, I think the design is ok but after looking through all these manufacturers I priced out a wheel like the Martian wheel, it was $864 for the wheels same finish, fully forged 6061 and $250-350 shipping (depending on manufacturer) Multiple manufacturers have similar designs, they copy everything.

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find the same design or equivalent to the Martian Wheels MW03 design but did see some others. Some are not too far off in price vs MW03 but some others were much lower. I guess it is like eBay where some suppliers can be trusted vs some not so much. Btw I have noticed Martian Wheels has now updated the weights on their site. Good to see good business practice here.

Yeah I noticed the website updated last night too. Not sure how close their numbers are to mine but I was using just a bathroom scale so I'm sure there is a bit of tolerance on accuracy +/- .5 to 1 lbs.

Yeah I noticed the website updated last night too. Not sure how close their numbers are to mine but I was using just a bathroom scale so I'm sure there is a bit of tolerance on accuracy +/- .5 to 1 lbs.
The point I was trying to make with the earlier post is that they actually know their wheel weighs 22.5 lbs. They physically weighed it and yet they're claiming .5 lbs less. SMGDH Martian wheels......

Not everyone wants to invest, but are curious to know. All owners can do this as everyone has a recording device at 60fps, the phone. Measuring speedometer on the dash, with a webpage open on the dash browser with a google search stop watch timer is pretty accurate. What it won't give you is 1ft rollout and the inconvenience having to watch the video todo the math. No gps involved at all.

Not everyone wants to invest, but are curious to know. All owners can do this as everyone has a recording device at 60fps, the phone. Measuring speedometer on the dash, with a webpage open on the dash browser with a google search stop watch timer is pretty accurate. What it won't give you is 1ft rollout and the inconvenience having to watch the video todo the math. No gps involved at all.

Speedo and video can be dramatically incorrect. You're basing the entire estimate off of the computer reported wheel speed and not the speed of the vehicle. It doesn't take into consideration any slip that is occurring, and, relies on the inaccurate speedo + the unknown delay that occurs between the metric being reached, and the metric being displayed on the screen.

Speedo and video can be dramatically incorrect. You're basing the entire estimate off of the computer reported wheel speed and not the speed of the vehicle. It doesn't take into consideration any slip that is occurring, and, relies on the inaccurate speedo + the unknown delay that occurs between the metric being reached, and the metric being displayed on the screen.

So 0-60 measurement is point of observer on the outside the system, noted.

Probably weighed the one they got and said good enough (if they even saw 1)

If you read from the guy that posted the weight the shipment came from China. So they are blind selling the wheels from a factory.

This is not true. I followd the transport, and they were shipped form the Martian adres in the US. They do the quality checks, finishing, painting, hubcabs and installation of pressure sensors themselves.
I was dissapointed in them as well, because of the very long lead time. But you cannot declare falsehoods. They are really high quality wheels. Better looking also compared to the angular sharp machined designs that most aftermarked shops sell.

Reactions: Danny Brown
Status
Not open for further replies.