Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd stop by and mention that I just took off the CrossClimates after about 1500 miles on them due to vibration and noise issues that I just couldn't beat. My worst tire experience in a couple of decades. Replaced them with Pilot Sport A/S 4's (luckily for the cost of labor since I was under 60 days).

I was hoping the CrossClimates would work out for me based on where I end up getting sent for work occasionally, but the A/S 4's are going to have to suffice. I wouldn't have been able to stand the noise/vibration if they were on my A6, much less on the M3P.

Reactions: Clubhops10
I received the wheels in August in 19x8.5 ET28 configuration. It seems the weight advertisd is inncorect on their website.

It weights 9.4 kg which is 20.7 lbs while website says 19 lbs , I am bit dissapointed since I was looking for the lightest wheels. The quality seems good and yeah are made in china.

I received the wheels in August in 19x8.5 ET28 configuration. It seems the weight advertisd is inncorect on their website.

It weights 9.4 kg which is 20.7 lbs while website says 19 lbs , I am bit dissapointed since I was looking for the lightest wheels. The quality seems good and yeah are made in china.

That's way too big of a diff to attribute to and manf variance or measurement error or rounding approximation. That's disappointing

They have updated the website to 20.5lb for the 19x8.5 but still... you bought it when it shows 19lb each. Close to10% error is unacceptable, the reason you choose Martian wheel is because the weight... In this case, might as well go with titan 7 or direct from the Chinese manufacture.

Wait...another missed weight and false advertisement? Ya don’t say.....shoulda just gotten flow formed and save $800ish dollars

Tell me about it :( I can see the website has been updated meanwhile but its dissapointing to sell a product without verifying the spec
Try to get your money back. It’s super stupid a company that sells only 1 “style” of wheel can’t even write down actual weights. How freaking hard is it to do? Other companies have 10+ styles and 10+ widths and offsets and they can be within .5-1lb max of advertised weight. What even more wrong is that they actually weighed one for @sirkdub and changed the advertised weight 1/2 lb less knowing it’s 1/2 lb more.

waiting for @dpeilow to show weights on a hard surface but I’m guessing he figured out it’s over 18.2 lbs anyways.

Last edited:
The method we proposed in post#446 does not use GPS at all. Using. only the video camera of a cell phone (or a go-pro if you have one), It video-records the Tesla's speedometer directly. If there is any delay, it would affect both the 0 and 60 MPH timestamps, so would cancel out. But there may be quantization errors. Does anyone know how frequently the Tesla's speedometer updates?

Using a Dragy (10Hz) would certainly be easier, avoiding camera mounting, and would give immediate readings without fiddly post processing. Again,
There is another similar unit that is 20Hz and can be used for drag as well as track events. It is the P-GEAR P-610. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/P-GEAR-Laptimer-10hz-P600-P-Box/dp/B01N6A7M88

Unfortunately, it seems to be currently unavailable.

I almost ordered a Dragy, until I looked at the Android app and found that the average rating was only 2.7/5, based on 771 reviews. There were more "1" (poor) ratings than "5"! Some of these bad reviews were because people tried to use it without the Dragy hardware, but still it doesn't look good for what is essentially a readout, white the accurate GPS at 10Hz done in the hardware.

I thought I'd stop by and mention that I just took off the CrossClimates after about 1500 miles on them due to vibration and noise issues that I just couldn't beat. My worst tire experience in a couple of decades. Replaced them with Pilot Sport A/S 4's (luckily for the cost of labor since I was under 60 days).

I was hoping the CrossClimates would work out for me based on where I end up getting sent for work occasionally, but the A/S 4's are going to have to suffice. I wouldn't have been able to stand the noise/vibration if they were on my A6, much less on the M3P.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the CC+. Could it be the balancing? I had mine mounted and balanced at a shop that uses a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Measurement system. They actually turn the tire on the rim to minimize net radial runout.

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to wait until closer to winter to put my CC+ on MW03 8.5"x18" on the car but decided to try it now to see if there were any noise or vibration issues. There were not. Details on weight savings in a later post.

I almost ordered a Dragy, until I looked at the Android app and found that the average rating was only 2.7/5, based on 771 reviews. There were more "1" (poor) ratings than "5"! Some of these bad reviews were because people tried to use it without the Dragy hardware, but still it doesn't look good for what is essentially a readout, white the accurate GPS at 10Hz done in the hardware.

I'm pretty sure the majority of those reviews are going to be people that were upset that they couldn't get v box data quality, out of a $5 Google store app. They just didn't want to buy the $100 piece of equipment

UPDATE on post #437
Martian Wheels MW03
Given a report on CrossClimate+ noise and vibration, I decided to try the new CC+ on MW03 on the car yesterday, rather than waiting until closer to winter. Here are some results that may be of interest:

Weight Savings
Tires on wheels, including balance weights, excluding center caps, weighed on a bathroom scale* with pet platform on hard surface.
Original PS4S on 20" gunmetal cast wheels: 53.8-54.2 Lbs each.
CC+ on MW03 8.5""x18" wheels: 42.6-42.7 Lbs each.
Weight Savings 11.1 - 11.5 Lbs each, 45.0 Lbs, total. There is also a similar additional savings due to reduced rotational inertia.
Q1: What improvement in 0-60 time should I expect?.

* Same scale that I used in an earlier post reporting the weight of one bare wheel as 18.9 Lbs. A digital fish scale measured higher at 19.3 Lbs, while a digital luggage scale measured 18.6 Lbs.

Noise and Vibration (Based on a short drive up to 90 MPH)
No vibration, Noise about the same level but seems different, i.e. lower-pitched. Wind noise still dominates at highway speeds.

Ride (Based on a short drive up to 90 MPH)
Smoother over bumps.

Sidewall Bulge
Less than expected, even with the rim protection, still looks vulnerable to curb rash. 7.5" rims are likely better in this respect.

TPMS
Just as promised by Martian, they were recognized and gave accurate readings after just a few miles. The car automatically reset TPMS as soon as I started it after swapping tires.

Turn-In
A little less crisp, but still good.

More on Wheel Configuration and center caps in a later post.

Q2: Is there a center cap with 5 fingers to cover the lug nuts, like the stock 20" wheels have, that fit the MW03?

• Informative
Reactions: dwalme and mechrock
Status
Not open for further replies.