Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They have updated the website to 20.5lb for the 19x8.5 but still... you bought it when it shows 19lb each. Close to10% error is unacceptable, the reason you choose Martian wheel is because the weight... In this case, might as well go with titan 7 or direct from the Chinese manufacture.

I understand this is unfortunate that Martian doesn't have the correct weights, but still given the weight/price ratio these still seem like a good deal. Titan 7's will cost ~$800 more and weigh the same if not slightly more, and saving money on flow forged options will still mean the wheels will weigh ~5 lbs more. All this and I'm still inclined to keep my order for 19x8.5 MW03's for my Model Y.

Reactions: TonyJag
I understand this is unfortunate that Martian doesn't have the correct weights, but still given the weight/price ratio these still seem like a good deal. Titan 7's will cost ~$800 more and weigh the same if not slightly more, and saving money on flow forged options will still mean the wheels will weigh ~5 lbs more. All this and I'm still inclined to keep my order for 19x8.5 MW03's for my Model Y.

Easy for me to pay $800 more for honesty, no reason to support the company that make lies like Martian... but it's your money so buy whatever you want.

Some pictures with my 19x8.5 MW03 wheels, tomrrow I will mount the Michelins PS4S and take som pictures

Attachments

• 9E0434F9-5389-4BDB-9C8C-DE1C098CEF3F.jpeg
    9E0434F9-5389-4BDB-9C8C-DE1C098CEF3F.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 533
  • 3A5C8123-4921-4749-872F-1DD0752015F3.jpeg
    3A5C8123-4921-4749-872F-1DD0752015F3.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 403
Some pictures with my 19x8.5 MW03 wheels, tomrrow I will mount the Michelins PS4S and take som pictures
Wow...I can’t believe this wheel company has surpassed 5 of the biggest names in forged wheels making a 1000kg (2204lbs) at half the price! Over 400lbs additional load minimum for each wheel. Some type of special kryptonite aluminum and all the missed weights gave it more strength? Lmao.

Titan 7: load rating of 750kg
90EB59B1-50EC-4067-8D88-E8809616ACA7.jpeg

Apex wheels: Load rating of 1800 lbs
29FF0E22-2ACB-44C7-A165-8DF0A8EBB720.jpeg

Advan GT: load rating 1591lbs
C4231A90-0CB7-4C27-AF7B-2A4889D0833A.png

BBS FI-R: load rating 620kg
B71D30FA-6AAF-421B-8FB1-F4DB1D74E17A.jpeg

Volks TE37: load rating of 690kg
(Can’t find a pic but verified)

Oh btw...that killer deal is warrantied by wheelspae.com for the lifetime of the wheel. Good luck with a non existent website!
B732E998-EF34-4A32-8FE8-0ADB02D25B6B.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like the MW gunmetal is lighter than the aero cap color, but I’ll order those from Tesla and post a side-by-side picture.
8D1AB2E3-674E-4CBD-B433-D165D417BBFB.jpeg 58B674F2-1CF7-4F89-85E7-D44F319A38F5.jpg So the Aero wheel caps are close enough in color to the gunmetal of the Martian Wheels imo. Still, I think if you have access to a high quality laser printer, you could print on adhesive vinyl and cover the MW logo caps that come with the wheels. Those caps seem higher quality than the Aero caps sold by Tesla.

That is odd that a fully forged wheel isn't fully machined on inner barrel? It looks like they only machined the part where they laser etched the specs but the rest still looks like it came out of cheap flow forge process. I'm talking about thick orange peel finish in the pictures. All of my previous fully forged wheels were completely machined 100%.

That is odd that a fully forged wheel isn't fully machined on inner barrel? It looks like they only machined the part where they laser etched the specs but the rest still looks like it came out of cheap flow forge process. I'm talking about thick orange peel finish in the pictures. All of my previous fully forged wheels were completely machined 100%.
You’re right. The inside of the barrel looks hideous compared to Titan 7 and other manufacturers. My VMR barrels were black and I emailed VMR and they told me they only put paint finish on the face and outer lip which I thought was dumb. I guess wherever you need to save money right?

Okay so they lie about certifications, weight, load rating, manufacturing process and delivery estimates are entirely up in the air,

But at least they don't break?

I don't know if its just me, but, one of the primary reason I got my Tesla is vehicle safety, this product, in my opinion, compromises that safety.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi

That's because forged wheels are machined from an entire blank of forged metal. You have to machine it to get any shape or surface from it. No other option.

I totally agree, which is why it is odd that the inner barrel does not look fully machined. Martian claims they are 100% fully forged.

not all wheels are simply machined from a full billet. (shaped) dies can be used in the forge to create a basic shape.

Rays will hot forge the basic spoke structure and a shallow cup. then they will cold roll the barrell... eventually cut flashes and final finishing.

A manufacturer could hypothetically skip the fine machining of the inside of the barrel, or skip the shot blasting, or any other number of manufacturing steps to save on costs.

not all wheels are simply machined from a full billet. (shaped) dies can be used in the forge to create a basic shape.

Rays will hot forge the basic spoke structure and a shallow cup. then they will cold roll the barrell... eventually cut flashes and final finishing.

A manufacturer could hypothetically skip the fine machining of the inside of the barrel, or skip the shot blasting, or any other number of manufacturing steps to save on costs.

kudos sir. Well stated. There are many other processes that motorsports proven companies implement to improve their wheel structures. heat processes and shot peening are two of them as you mentioned.

In regards to wheel weights we've seen many of these Chinese manufactured wheels have weights misprinted. The reasoning this happens is because they take the weight published on the CAD drawings. This weight is prefinishing material. ergo, paint or powdercoating will add 1-2 lbs per wheel. I don't think this is worth complaining about. I do think it should be corrected but I will say that a heavier wheel with a thinner tire will likely produce more range than a lighter wheel with a wider tire. Don't spin your mental wheels too hard over thinking this.

Reactions: Clivew and TonyJag
I am starting to have buyer remorse seeing all the discussion about weight and load rating and manufacturing process. I will ask Martian Wheels what is their position on these points

Good. I have also sent Martian a heads-up email about this thread. I have no buyer remorse and am very pleased with the MW03 wheels, as noted above in
Martian Wheels MW03
I will post pictures as soon as I decide what to do for center caps.

I would appreciate your thoughts on these questions::
Weight Savings
Tires on wheels, including balance weights, excluding center caps, weighed on a bathroom scale with pet platform on hard surface.
Original PS4S on 20" gunmetal cast wheels: 53.8-54.2 Lbs each.
CrossClimate+ on MW03 8.5""x18" wheels: 42.6-42.7 Lbs each.
Weight Savings 11.1 - 11.5 Lbs each, 45.0 Lbs, total. There is also a similar additional savings due to reduced rotational inertia.
Q1: What improvement in 0-60 time should I expect?

Q2: Is there a center cap with 5 fingers to cover the lug nuts, like the stock 20" wheels have, that fit the MW03?

Good. I have also sent Martian a heads-up email about this thread. I have no buyer remorse and am very pleased with the MW03 wheels, as noted above in
Martian Wheels MW03

Awesome. I'm glad you did. Did you forward them the thread or did you ask them specifically:

1. Missed weights on all wheels and confirmed wheel weight by Martian and yet reducing the website weight by .5 lbs?
2. Load rating which is above and beyond any current manufacture.
3. Non existent warranty company.
4. Wheel barrel finish / forming not on par with forged wheels.
5. Verification of manufacturing pics of real forging despite weights being close to equal flow forming.

Q1: What improvement in 0-60 time should I expect?

too many variables for anyone to even guess. With my reduction, wheels/tires/rotors, I'm still turning a 2.97 0-60 at best, and consistently doing 2.98 ... Good times, but no improvement over the OEM 19" and continentals at high SOC. It does however make a substantial difference in noticeable power at lower SOCs.

Reactions: TonyJag
Awesome. I'm glad you did. Did you forward them the thread or did you ask them specifically:

1. Missed weights on all wheels and confirmed wheel weight by Martian and yet reducing the website weight by .5 lbs?
2. Load rating which is above and beyond any current manufacture.
3. Non existent warranty company.
4. Wheel barrel finish / forming not on par with forged wheels.
5. Verification of manufacturing pics of real forging despite weights being close to equal flow forming.
I sent them a link to this thread. If they reply, I will share.

Status
Not open for further replies.