Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels great with lighter wheels, though Michelin sidewall is quite soft

Attachments

• E6E45352-6F50-4784-A8BE-F79A104DF83F.jpeg
    E6E45352-6F50-4784-A8BE-F79A104DF83F.jpeg
    831.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 7BE3CD33-2B0D-4DFC-9592-271E1B02A1C6.jpeg
    7BE3CD33-2B0D-4DFC-9592-271E1B02A1C6.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 841C597D-43E6-4444-806A-9C5D5D44FAE3.jpeg
    841C597D-43E6-4444-806A-9C5D5D44FAE3.jpeg
    949.7 KB · Views: 258
  • FEC31C5B-9301-4C98-983A-B28A5A89719D.jpeg
    FEC31C5B-9301-4C98-983A-B28A5A89719D.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 261
Reactions: Clivew and TonyJag
Received my 18x7.5s a couple of weeks ago, as I showed with the pics on the bathroom scales which caused some offence. Quality wise I am perfectly happy with them.

I put them on the car with Continental EcoContact 6 in 225/45. These are the A efficiency, A grip version developed for Jaguar. Wow - what a difference. On my usual 70 mph commute over 38 miles I was averaging 305-310 Wh/mile to work and 295-304 return over a few days. With this set up it was 244-260 Wh/mile to work and 223-225 on two commutes in the same conditions.

We then drove to the top of Scotland and set a new record for John O'Groats to Land's End (the length of the UK). On the first leg to get there, which was >95% 70mph, we recorded 229 Wh/mile. Yes that is 204 miles on 2/3 of a charge.

upload_2020-9-21_8-12-19.png

upload_2020-9-21_8-11-8.png

On the whole 840 mile trip from one end of the UK to the other, driving into a pretty fierce headwind, we managed 266 Wh/mile. In fact the efficiency increase was vital in the first leg of this record, the wind was so strong we were in danger of falling short of the first charge stop.

Tesla Model 3 breaks record for shortest charging time crossing UK | Autocar

So if you are after efficiency I am happy to endorse this set-up wholeheartedly. I can only assume the level of vitriol aimed at this company here is coming from people with something else to sell.

Received my 18x7.5s a couple of weeks ago, as I showed with the pics on the bathroom scales which caused some offence. Quality wise I am perfectly happy with them.

I put them on the car with Continental EcoContact 6 in 225/45. These are the A efficiency, A grip version developed for Jaguar. Wow - what a difference. On my usual 70 mph commute over 38 miles I was averaging 305-310 Wh/mile to work and 295-304 return over a few days. With this set up it was 244-260 Wh/mile to work and 223-225 on two commutes in the same conditions.

We then drove to the top of Scotland and set a new record for John O'Groats to Land's End (the length of the UK). On the first leg to get there, which was >95% 70mph, we recorded 229 Wh/mile. Yes that is 204 miles on 2/3 of a charge.

View attachment 590444

View attachment 590443

On the whole 840 mile trip from one end of the UK to the other, driving into a pretty fierce headwind, we managed 266 Wh/mile. In fact the efficiency increase was vital in the first leg of this record, the wind was so strong we were in danger of falling short of the first charge stop.

Tesla Model 3 breaks record for shortest charging time crossing UK | Autocar

So if you are after efficiency I am happy to endorse this set-up wholeheartedly. I can only assume the level of vitriol aimed at this company here is coming from people with something else to sell.
It’s funny you say that but everyone KNOWS it’s contact patch/compound that drives the most with efficiency and NOT a wheel. Martian wheels have no magical properties for efficiency besides kryptonite aluminum for 1000kg load rating :eek:. Efficiency wheels on a performance cars seems totally bass akwards but that’s just me

You’ll always get criticism with anything IF there is something to point out. I would never promote an item especially a wheel company that has multiple factual errors. Multiple users also received a product that was not by their expectation based on a positive review here only to discover more and more items that don’t add up by false advertising. Have you ever read a review in a 5 star system and shy away? Why do you think the 5 stars system exists? You’ll get a variety of people and a variety of ranges on satisfaction and you choose to run the risk or not.

Lastly the comment on the aim to sell something else...kinda opposite to be honest. An older local model 3 owner I met at a supercharger “heard” of Martian wheels and bought a set to replace his performance wheels. We talked for awhile and sad to say it didn’t meet the weight on what the website said nor his expectations for forged wheels. I actually bought his oem wheels so he could recoup the cost of his “forged” wheels. Too bad he rather run Martian then run the risk to crack the oem cast 20s. I still have his boxes that he gave me the wheels in.
26C2BC2F-FB85-4BD4-B136-B0432EC622B9.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a P3D- with aeros, will these MW not be worth better handling, 0-60, and slightly better whr/mi at 18x7.5?

These are obtuse generalizations: When you cut width of the tire, you're going to lose 0-60 time. When you cut the width, you reduce your wh/m. When you try to negate the loss of traction by using stickier tires on the thinner wheel, you're going to increase your wh/m.

After reading all of the comments, I ordered a set of Gunmetal 18x8.5 Martian wheels for my 20 3P. I have the 20s on her now and they will continue to be my summer wheels, but these Martians will be my winter wheels with a set of all season Michelins. I am pleased with all the positive comments about the quality of the wheels and know that they will be a nice drop in weight vs. my stock Tesla 20's. Thanks for all of the input.

Reactions: Tanis
I need a set of Martian's pretty quickly and don't think I can wait for some of them to be restocked mid-Oct. Looks like the 18" 9.5's are in stock though. Since these are wider, would they stick out and not be flush with the car? Any other big downsides to the 9.5" width?

20200912_182114.jpg

Managed to get some more hardware with these wheels. Got a red-light in the final running a 7.363 on a 7.36 dial. Finishing up the season with some no box/box racing @ Renegade Raceway if anyone is local first two weekends of October. Car is dialed in @ 7.35 and 11.49 on the 1/8 and 1/4. Actually had to add a bit of weight to stay at those numbers in competition because any faster requires 6 point roll bar etc.

Wheels have done at least 300 passes this year and still holding strong.

Discount Code: JASONLEON
Ref Link: Martian Wheels

Reactions: REH3P and Sam1
View attachment 590976
Managed to get some more hardware with these wheels. Got a red-light in the final running a 7.363 on a 7.36 dial. Finishing up the season with some no box/box racing @ Renegade Raceway if anyone is local first two weekends of October. Car is dialed in @ 7.35 and 11.49 on the 1/8 and 1/4. Actually had to add a bit of weight to stay at those numbers in competition because any faster requires 6 point roll bar etc.

Wheels have done at least 300 passes this year and still holding strong.

Discount Code: JASONLEON
Ref Link: Martian Wheels

they require a roll bar at 7/11? Never heard that before, it's usually 6/10. Also was that you we were discussing the PZ4 sports with earlier for lighter weight? If so, don't buy them for street use. They require a pretty hefty heat up to stick... Probably amazing track tires, but street is no bueno for our cars. I will definitely be switching to a different tire for the next set.

they require a roll bar at 7/11? Never heard that before, it's usually 6/10. Also was that you we were discussing the PZ4 sports with earlier for lighter weight? If so, don't buy them for street use. They require a pretty hefty heat up to stick... Probably amazing track tires, but street is no bueno for our cars. I will definitely be switching to a different tire for the next set.
Yeah we were talking about the PZ4, I have stuck with the PS4S which were a pound heavier and no complaints. Yeah NHRA requires them in ET bracket racing /divisional and national events which is what I do. Street legal nights if its 08 or newer and unaltered I think your good down to 10.00.

Reactions: Sam1
These are obtuse generalizations: When you cut width of the tire, you're going to lose 0-60 time. When you cut the width, you reduce your wh/m. When you try to negate the loss of traction by using stickier tires on the thinner wheel, you're going to increase your wh/m.

What about this, do you think its because model y 21s are too heavy and aeros would have gotten him the same?

Still waiting to see someone with p3d and their timing.

Anybody pick up a set of 19" martians? Wondering what kind of tire I should put on them. I know that's a broad question but just wondering what people are using. I'm not looking to go to the track on them but would like decent traction and if possible, good efficiency.

Anybody pick up a set of 19" martians? Wondering what kind of tire I should put on them. I know that's a broad question but just wondering what people are using. I'm not looking to go to the track on them but would like decent traction and if possible, good efficiency.

for 19's, those oem contipro rx are amazing. I was able to get a 2.97s 0-60 on them on the street, which says a lot for an all season and a 500 wear rating.

Reactions: SigNC
Status
Not open for further replies.