Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2nd that question.

With these lighter weight martian wheels, are your wh/mile better or worse (compared to the 19" aero covers)?
It's been about a week with the new wheels and there has been a slight decrease in the wh/m, maybe the numbers will improve a bit more once the tires are broken in, but that is from the uberturbines. so i bet you'll take a hit. I will say, however, that the overall improvements in ride, sound, and feel have been astonishing.

I just changed out the Ubers with MW-03's in 19x9.5 +45 to maintain the vehicle width/stance but stuck with 245/45/19's for the range boost. I normally would have gone 255 but the appearance is fine IMO, a little more flat-sided. Because it's my winter set I'm taking a spin with Vredestein Quatrac Pros due to being both a high-performance GT tire and having a severe snow service rating. So far they're quieter than the P-Zeros, the ride is not as edgy on imperfections in the pavement, and the car feels more nimble overall with turn-in and cornering in general, especially at slower speeds around town. Only 100 miles on the Vreds but so far, so good. Oh, and they came with two years of hazard coverage which is a nice bonus. Just after this shot, I put some custom trimmed clear Xpel on the bottom rear of the back doors to cover the whole area where it flares out. Man, that area gets chewed up!

IMG_4643.JPG

Hey you are the first post I saw about wheels and was wondering if you could answer a newbie question. I Ordered my tesla with the standard 19' wheels. The car will be coming in January. I was wondering if the car is compatible with changing the wheels with any custom after market one I prefer.

Or does tesla have some weird "tesla only" wheels and tires that can work on the model Y

I just changed out the Ubers with MW-03's in 19x9.5 +45 to maintain the vehicle width/stance but stuck with 245/45/19's for the range boost. I normally would have gone 255 but the appearance is fine IMO, a little more flat-sided. Because it's my winter set I'm taking a spin with Vredestein Quatrac Pros due to being both a high-performance GT tire and having a severe snow service rating. So far they're quieter than the P-Zeros, the ride is not as edgy on imperfections in the pavement, and the car feels more nimble overall with turn-in and cornering in general, especially at slower speeds around town. Only 100 miles on the Vreds but so far, so good. Oh, and they came with two years of hazard coverage which is a nice bonus. Just after this shot, I put some custom trimmed clear Xpel on the bottom rear of the back doors to cover the whole area where it flares out. Man, that area gets chewed up!

View attachment 612397
Nice. Did you get your custom trimmed Xpel locally or online? I've got the same wheels and tires in 20" - I'm very happy too.

Did you get your custom trimmed Xpel locally or online?

I bought a 12" x 60" roll online, then created a template out of paper which I transferred to the roll and trimmed. Install was straightforward using the squeegee/felt and water/baby shampoo mixture. I tried to make it as professional as possible following what I've seen on some 911's.

does tesla have some weird "tesla only" wheels and tires that can work on the model Y

There's nothing particularly special about Tesla wheels or tires that I'm aware of, but there are only so many aftermarket options since the vehicle is so new and the dimensions/specs are not that common. Tires must have the proper load rating and that's about it, otherwise, you'll want to think of the usual balance between wear, performance, range, your specific weather (rain/snow), and intended use/driving style. I guess road noise is specific to Tesla's because they are so quiet tire noise becomes prominent.

Drifting off-topic, but here’s an image of the installed guard. I just traced the outline of the dirt pattern on the rear door after a drive on dirty wet roads and made sure to cover the predominate “strike zone” (where the paint was actually showing signs of getting abraded). Since I already have a template I’d consider ordering/cutting more if there’s enough interest.
E26BEC4C-F134-41A8-8C1A-61A911888C4C.jpeg

Drifting off-topic, but here’s an image of the installed guard. I just traced the outline of the dirt pattern on the rear door after a drive on dirty wet roads and made sure to cover the predominate “strike zone” (where the paint was actually showing signs of getting abraded). Since I already have a template I’d consider ordering/cutting more if there’s enough interest.View attachment 612857
Well done! I'm pretty handy but that looks more like art. I'd be happy to contribute to getting this somehow....