Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martin Tripp must pay $400K to Tesla bc of court order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's right, after settlement Mr. Tripp has been ordered to pay tesla $400,000 as a result of the Tesla vs Tripp case. He erased his Europe-based website which was full of accusations and libel.

This is a major lesson to the big tesla shorts who encouraged his behavior. His internet lawyer Allan Greenspan had posted private info and MT was previously charged $25K as a result. The biggest Twitter Tesla shorts such as @PlainSite, @teslacharts, and others championed his cause and damaged his life. The TSLA shorts exploited him to further their own agendas including admitted short selling and taking in funds via Patreaon. A. Greenspan also profits via his business called Plainsite which he promotes on Twitter.

• Love
Reactions: bhzmark and SMAlset
Here's the report I just read on the settlement from Huffpost: Ex-Tesla employee agrees to pay $400K over claims he stole trade secrets

His YT channel someone posted here about back in August this year taken on his farm in Hungary is also devoid of any uploads. I personally always wondered if he went to Tesla for the purpose of doing something like this. I'm also not so sure he was used. He may not have realized the extent of what his actions would bring down on him but at any time he could have fessed up and made it less painful on himself. Glad the short-seller fund funding his counterclaims was named as well. Lots of bad press for Tesla over this Tripp mess, agree it manipulated the stock which I believe was the intended purpose (the press is always looking for negative stories on Tesla and encourages this kind of activity IMO), and not sure I think the $400K award is a fair compensation for a clearly intended malicious act. Doesn't sound from the article like Cable Car Capital LLC will be paying his settlement for him after he violated the terms of their litigation funding agreement (curious what that entailed). Do you think it will ever get paid?

Interesting to think if he hadn't done what he did and instead continued to work there and get stock what his life would be like now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TSleuths
I think he has little choice but to flee the country and go back to his native Hungary rather than pay. I think he made a series of mistakes rather than anything intentional.

My real concern here is Aaron Greenspan appears to be practicing law in CA and takes in money mostly via Patreon. He and his agents are admitted short sellers. Does that bother anyone? The tesla shorts have also exploited a CA Tesla customer by posting untrue statements w/o diligence and profiting from those statements.

Thanks for the Huff post link!

Reactions: SMAlset
Modifying software to steal info in and of itself seems pretty intentional to me. Also thought I read he tried to blame it on another worker/s there at the factory when confronted. Tried to follow the lawsuit for what was alleged and testified to but so much was redacted or only available to the lawyers of what I saw online.

Shorts are still out there. Michael Burry of “The Big Short” fame was the subject of an article on Benzinga this morning saying he was shorting Tesla. Nice to see AH the stock went up after Goldman Sachs issued their latest analysis.

from Benzinga:
“So, @elonmusk, yes, I'm short $TSLA, but some free advice for a good guy....Seriously, issue 25-50% of your shares at the current ridiculous price. That's not dilution. You'd be cementing permanence and untold optionality. If there are buyers, sell that #TeslaSouffle,” Burry tweeted Tuesday night.

Last edited:
Here's the case from Plainsite, Tesla vs Tripp. Be aware as the author Aaron Greenspan is a noted short-seller and has an active frivolous court case against Elon M, and Omar Quazi. He claims to have invented Facebook and openly accuses Tesla of the Fr word.

Here's a link that describes how people were profiting on the up and downside by posting at Seeking Alpha.

The shorts are very active with Tripp being a good lesson for them to learn. Also, Montanna Skeptic and a beginner writer have written articles where they accuse Tesla of $1.8 Billion of fraud over the last 2 years regarding "Goodwill". They got confused by the usage of 'Goodwill' as an accounting term and their internal usage for no cost warranty claims in their service department.