Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mary Barra, what is going through your mind right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you which is why I don't understand most of the posts in this thread. I want EVs to be wildly successful. I want the Bolt to be wildly successful (even though I know many at GM and their dealers will try to kill it) - it isnt really a competitor to the 3 so why all the hate?

Because it is not a Tesla.
People also hate on hydrogen fuel cars even though they are not ICE. (yes, they have a long way to go, but so did all EV cars several years ago)

Reactions: AnOutsider
I agree with you which is why I don't understand most of the posts in this thread. I want EVs to be wildly successful. I want the Bolt to be wildly successful (even though I know many at GM and their dealers will try to kill it) - it isnt really a competitor to the 3 so why all the hate?

I think much of the hatred stems from the fact that GM is a very, very major driving force behind anti-Tesla laws that ban their sales and service centers from states.

I want EVs to succeed. I don't want GM to succeed because the less money they have, the less political influence they will wield over Tesla.

They hate GM, not necessarily the Bolt. GM had been taking some not so subtle stabs at Tesla (saying the cars are for elites and not regular people), but the most infuriating thing is they have been actually pushing laws to block Tesla from opening stores.
GM continues to try to stifle competition

Contrast this for example reaction to the Leaf, which many people find ugly, but at the very least people here respect Nissan's efforts in EVs (given Nissan never had to resort to the tactics GM is taking).

Well said. Bottom line is, GM doesn't care all that much, they're content to sit back and reap massive profits on full size trucks for the next few years while gas is cheap.

The Tesla vs. GM mentality on electric vehicles really comes down to "play to win" vs "play to play". Tesla MUST play to win. It's their only viable path forward. GM can't play to win, because that means cannibalizing their entire existing customer base and admitting that their entire existing revenue stream needs to change. So they play to play. Invest just enough to play without seriously endangering their existing business model.

The whole "those who can't innovate, legislate" is a valid criticism as well.

ca
If you go on twitter and are scrolling through #Model3 Ford has a promoted campaign where they show a butt fugly Fusion looking thing plugged in, saying you don't have to wait to get it.

Well, yea, of course you don't have to wait.....

NO ONE WANTS ONE.

I've been trolling them back, because I figure the poor Ford Social Media rep needed something to do today.

can't find this, can you post a screenshot?

Attachments

• 2016-03-31_1832.png
    2016-03-31_1832.png
    541.8 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: Gerasimental
Now, now champ. One doesn't have to be butthurt to point out facts that put something in context.
But thank you for your concern about my butt.
(not interested if that was some sort of come-on, but thanks anyway).

I'm just wondering where you're "drivin" to, as you appear to be lost right now. Perhaps Elon can show you a vehicle with something called AutoPilot.

Can GM?

If you go on twitter and are scrolling through #Model3 Ford has a promoted campaign where they show a butt fugly Fusion looking thing plugged in, saying you don't have to wait to get it.
Well, yea, of course you don't have to wait.....
NO ONE WANTS ONE.
I've been trolling them back, because I figure the poor Ford Social Media rep needed something to do today.

Not sure how that is successful trolling since the Fusion sold 300k cars in the US last year and 45k in the first two months of this year.
Seems there are plenty of people who WANTS ONE.

Because it is not a Tesla.
People also hate on hydrogen fuel cars even though they are not ICE. (yes, they have a long way to go, but so did all EV cars several years ago)
I feel, in addition to the legal actions taken by GM, there is a question hanging in the air. "Is that the best you've got?" GM could have made a more attractive vehicle, instead they electrified a cheap looking compact. They gave it a slow charge rate, and are boasting about its superiority by taking swings at Tesla. On its own, I think the Bolt is a great addition to the small group of available BEVs, but the positives end there. I do hope the car sells all that can be produced, but in the end, it's more expensive than a model three, and most likely less of a car.

Ps, I know the 3 will rarely be sold stock, but come on. The tesla is for the elite, but is actually less expensive, really?

In response to hydrogen, as a third year engineering student, it's a scam. A very dangerous and expensive one at that. Hydrogen weakens all metals, leaks through everything, is energy intensive to produce, transport, and pump, while simultaneously being a lousy energy storage medium for transportation. The only thing going for it is the theoretically shorter refueling time. In practice, it's a cluster F.

They were probably too busy selling the 9.9 million cars they sell every year or counting the 23B in cash that they have to respond to your tweet.

Wow, 23B in cash. Wouldn't it be great if they used some of it to payback the 12B in losses the US and Canadian governments absorbed bailing them out? Or perhaps to compensate victims of their poor ignition-switch engineering and subsequent cover up instead of just saying, "that was the pre-bankrupt GM, we're not responsible. "

Not sure how that is successful trolling since the Fusion sold 300k cars in the US last year and 45k in the first two months of this year.
Seems there are plenty of people who WANTS ONE.

And how many are the PHEV Energi version with 21 mile AER.
cough 9750 and 1573 cough

And how many are BEV with 200 plus mile range?
Hint number starts with the letter Z and ends with letter O.

All the hate, I think, is residual resentment and anger from a public who dislikes companies like GM for the crap they've pulled in the past. Elon is a charismatic leader viewed by the Tesla fans as leading the world to a sexy, sustainable promised land. GM is viewed as a cynical "me too" company building stuff only in reaction.

Also Tesla is still the only company building cars that are electric + sexy looking + drool worthy handling and technology (ie autopilot).

The Bolt has none of those things and when I see one I think to myself - "You folks at GM still just don't get it. You don't understand what people actually want."

There's no reason that I know of that the Bolt has to look so odd - just like the Leaf looks odd, the Volt looks odd, the Prius looks odd. None of them look mature, rich, attractive - Tesla has proven you can have your cake and eat it too.