Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryhill Loops Rd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Maryhill Loops Rd is a public road that is typically closed but can be rented out for weekend events and such. I went on one such tour this weekend.

Due to weak (/absent) 3G coverage in the area, I have no Tesla telemetry data. My GPS data from my dash camera is usable, just not as rich/frequent as the Tesla telemetry. As a result the visualization isn't as good. But here it is nonetheless:

MaryHillLoopsElevationFromDashCamData.png

According to the dashcam GPS data, my top speed for the day was 73mph (though the MP4 only caught 72):

MaryhillLoopsTopSpeed.jpg

Of course, this isn't including highway travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything sweeter than an electric car driving on a road between hills of wind turbines?
Being the only electric car present?

Having a few people say "on the straights your car looked like the fastest out there". I disagreed, but it's fun to hear.

I had a ride in one of the R8s (with V10) with an experienced driver. Definitely a blast. I know he surpassed 73 more than once in his runs.

(1) The part I love the most is the 500 drop if you make a mistake. (2) Looked like fun in your Tesla.
(1) After the event that part is great. During the event, it's a bit intimidating.
(2) Definitely. Great venue, great people, great weekend. AFAIK, no organic or mechanical drama the entire weekend for anyone involved.

Thank You for Sharing the video! Enjoyed the view and looking at the stats below. Looks like you had perfect weather for the event. It's cool to know you're driving a Tesla amongst all those wind generators. Thumbs up Brian!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Here's some phone camera footage of the group descent for the other session:

Sorry for the wobbly hold and the knee intrusion. It wasn't a planned recording, and it was just handheld.

That road is out there, love that area. How and where did you manage your charging locations to and from home?
Sammamish -> Ellensburg Roadster HPC -> Cottonwood RV park

Full disclosure:
1. I plugged in at Cottonwood RV park with approximately -0.8 miles. It would have been worse than that but I found a Walmart truck to draft with "5 miles rated" and "15+ miles navigation" remaining. Thank you, Walmart!
2. User error #1: I was following the R8 in our group for the trip down, and I couldn't resist matching his acceleration earlier in the journey so I wasted some juice.
3. User error #2: I should have stayed another 30-45 minutes in Ellensburg (where I ate), but I didn't want to make the group wait at their lunch spot any longer (about 20 miles south of Ellensburg).
4. User error #3: I left the house with 220mi rather than 232+mi because I forgot to nudge the charger when I showered in the morning.

Additional details:
a. I'm sure Disco and Francis are reading: Still no Trip charge. :)
b. If Tesla is listening, PLEASE give us an Ellensburg supercharger.

Last edited:
Nothing like taking your own thread (somewhat) off-topic but I figured others might be interested...

I can honestly say that the scariest driving moment in the past week came with the squealing of tires (not mine) at the end of this video:

I truly had no idea where this guy was going. As I did my best to safely get away from him quickly, I saw him reverse back into the right line and immediately veer left across both lanes to make (I think) a U-turn. I'm amazed he didn't hit anyone.

Editorial note: The "jump" at the end of the video is some "language" (mine) I clipped out. I looked for a way to mute a portion of a video in Expression Encoder but it eluded me so I just clipped instead.