Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Anti-ICEing Law Proposed - 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I simply do not buy some of the reasons stated in that response. They say some kind of pavement markings are required to enforce any parking violation in Maryland. Think about that... do all reserved parking spots have pavement markings? No, of course not. That doesn't keep the police from giving tickets!

The only pavement markings that seem to be ubiquitous are at handicapped parking spots and those pavement markings are voluntary and NOT required by Maryland Code according to the Chief of Compliance in the Maryland Codes Administration.

Note the use of the phrase, "we have been told by law enforcement." That could mean that a single policeman has told them something that may or may not be backed up by facts.

The amendment that was added to accommodate curb-side charging spots on public roadways -- that affects only four charging stations in the entire state on Maryland that I know of. The reason for that narrow exception is the color green is not legal to use on public roads. Seven out of the eight states that have anti-ICEing laws do not require any sort of pavement markings. Neither do any of the three Maryland counties that have anti-ICEing laws.

A reason the sponsor wants green paint is to "brand" EV charging stations. In my opinion, that's not a reason to legislate green instead of white.

You may wish to voice your opinion to the members of the House Environment and Transportation Committee. They will vote on this any day now. Here is the list of members. Click on the names in the left row to show the phone numbers to call - it's better than writing.

Here is a photo of the garage near the Capitol in Annapolis that the lawmakers park in. The state agency that operates the garage took eight months to fix that charging station when it broke. Imagine how long it will take them to paint green pavement markings.

DGSside1.jpg

Message I received back from Seamus McNamara, Legislative Director

We have added an amendment so that the pavement markings can be in a different form on roadways and lots that must adhere to federal regulations under the MUTCD, but the pavement markings are required more broadly in order for the law to be enforceable in Maryland. Here is the explanation I have sent to others asking about this issue:

As much as we would like to have a simple bill that simply adds fines for parking in existing EV charging spaces with existing signs, that simply is not possible. We need to take certain steps in order to ensure that this is enforceable state wide. Unfortunately, we have been told by law enforcement that they need to see two things in order to enforce any parking violation: 1) a sign conforming to the standard set forth in law (we will be creating a statewide standard with this bill), and 2) some kind of pavement markings to indicate that the spot is a type of reserved space or no parking zone. Here again it seems best to try to come up with a uniform standard for that whole state. This means that lot owners will need to purchase new signs and will need to put down pavement markings in order for this law to be enforceable on their properties, there is just no way of getting around that.

Thank you for contacting us about this issue. I hope my explanation has shed some light into our thought process in crafting this legislation. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,
That's the exact same boilerplate that I got from Clarence Lam 5 days ago. Of course it doesn't make any sense. The vast majority of parking tickets are for parking in a no parking zone, or outside of posted time limits, or for an expired meter. There is almost never any pavement markings for these tickets. Only signs. I'd love to have a video of a Maryland police officer testifying that parking tickets aren't enforcible unless there is pavement markings. I'd bring it to court to fight my wife's next parking ticket!
Since Lam was kind enough to sponsor I let it go figuring it doesn't help to fight with the people that are on your side.

Here's the Maryland HB36 "green pavement markings" picture of the day.

Ironically, this is in Annapolis.

There's still time to put a stop to this green nonsense. Here's the list of members of the House Environment and Transportation Committee with contact info. Amend HB36 to remove the "green pavement markings" requirement.

AnnapolisArtGreenPaint820.jpg