Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Anti-ICEing Law Proposed - 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
House Bill HB 36 [PDF link], has been filed by Maryland Delegate Clarence Lam for the 2017 session in Annapolis.

This proposed anti-ICEing legislation is very similar to last year's HB 839 that I testified in support of (with amendments) in the House Environment and Transportation Committee. That bill passed the House but died in the Senate.

The bill requires “green pavement markings” in addition to a sign that meets applicable requirements in order to be enforceable.

Sign and Green Pavement Markings Specified

A sign designating a plug–in electric drive vehicle charging space shall:
(1) Be at least 18 inches high and 12 inches wide;
(2) Be clearly visible to the driver of a motor vehicle
entering the plug–in electric drive vehicle charging space;
(3) State the maximum fine that may be incurred for a violation; and
(4) Meet any applicable state and federal requirements for parking signs.
(D) A plug–in electric drive vehicle charging space shall be indicated by green pavement markings.

Towing Provision Included

(1) A privately owned parking facility may have a vehicle that is stopped, standing, or parked in violation of this section towed or removed in accordance with subtitle 10A of this title.
(2) (I) A parking facility owned by a local jurisdiction may have a vehicle that is stopped, standing, or parked in violation of this section ticketed, towed, or removed if authorized by local law.

$100 Fine for ICEing

A person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of $100.

Good luck, do you plan to testify in support of this one as well?

I've already been talking with lawmakers and potential supporters about this bill. My goal is to preserve the amendments we successfully lobbied for last year and I want to get the requirement for "green pavement markings" removed from the language of the bill. We tried to get the pavement markings removed last year and met strong resistance from the State Police and one committee member.

The law will only be enforceable when the exact signs specified in the bill are posted at charging stations AND "green pavement markings" are present. This won't automatically solve the ICEing problem in Maryland. Convincing private property owners to post signs and paint spaces will be the real challenge to solving the ICEing problem.

Anything new about a replacement state EV rebate program?

My understanding is that there's a bill in the works for a Maryland EV and EVSE tax credit/rebate program. The details were being debated as of December. There are a number of factors in play including how to treat the purchases since the previous program ran out of funds and possibly putting limits on the eligibility of higher priced EVs. I may know more next week.

My understanding is that there's a bill in the works for a Maryland EV and EVSE tax credit/rebate program. The details were being debated as of December. There are a number of factors in play including how to treat the purchases since the previous program ran out of funds and possibly putting limits on the eligibility of higher priced EVs. I may know more next week.

Ok, hopefully some new news comes out.

Honestly, I hope they don't make previous purchases eligible for a rebate retroactively, even though I just purchased another EV. That'll probably lead to funds running out earlier than expected again next fiscal year, like what happened last FY.

I notice that this still allows EV parking w/o charging, if I'm reading it correctly.

This is one of the amendments we asked for and received last year and survives in HB 36.

AMENDMENT NO. 1
On page 2, in lines 23 and 24, strike “THAT IS CONNECTED TO CHARGING EQUIPMENT FOR CHARGING PURPOSES”

The concern with the requirement that the vehicle be “connected to charging equipment for charging purposes” is that it could leave an innocent EV driver vulnerable to having a car towed or ticketed if someone innocently or maliciously unplugs them. It also prevents the practice of sharing one charging station among several adjacent spaces at long-term parking facilities such as at airports.

Reactions: liuping
Yes, that makes sense. I just feel like it will be an issue long term.

For example, what does Tesla do if a leaf is parked at a supercharger?

Regarding airports, I believe there would be a much better return on L1 capability. Or a fancy system where you entered your return day/time and the system could manage peaks and get everyone charged.

@loganss Excellent point about wireless charging stations. Hadn't really considered that before you mentioned it.

That sounds like a big headache to craft legislation covering wireless charging situations.
An EV being plugged in is an obvious and easy way of determining whether a car should be parked in an EV charging spot or not.

What about a wireless charging spot? Unless a cop had awareness of what vehicles were actually EVs and which vehicles weren't, how could they determine whether a car parked at a wireless charging spot was actually an EV charging or not? Imagine some non-plugin Prius driver ICE'ing a wireless charging spot.

Officer: Is this your car?
Prius driver: Yes.
Officer: We received a complaint you are improperly parked here.
Prius driver: My vehicle is a Hybrid Electric Vehicle so I can park here.
Officer: Well, are you charging though?
Prius driver: Sure, it's always charging.
Officer: .....OK, have a good day!

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
That sounds like a big headache to craft legislation covering wireless charging situations.
An EV being plugged in is an obvious and easy way of determining whether a car should be parked in an EV charging spot or not.

What about a wireless charging spot? Unless a cop had awareness of what vehicles were actually EVs and which vehicles weren't, how could they determine whether a car parked at a wireless charging spot was actually an EV charging or not? Imagine some non-plugin Prius driver ICE'ing a wireless charging spot.

Officer: Is this your car?
Prius driver: Yes.
Officer: We received a complaint you are improperly parked here.
Prius driver: My vehicle is a Hybrid Electric Vehicle so I can park here.
Officer: Well, are you charging though?
Prius driver: Sure, it's always charging.
Officer: .....OK, have a good day!

Maryland HB 36 [PDF link] uses a definition of “Plug–in electric drive vehicle” that has been established previously for consistency in the Maryland Code. The current Maryland bill does not use "connected for charging purposes" language.

The wireless charging issue that @loganss pointed may have implications with the anti-ICEing laws in California and Washington State.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
I hope the green paint language is removed. Not because it's not a good idea. It is. But red looks better and it's more noticeable.

bigstock-Tesla-supercharger-station-and-117090020-650x433.jpg

And green isn't a universal color for EV charging.

electric-car-charging-parki.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

This is Ontario.

car-charging-logo-pavement.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Lanny
Maryland HB 36 [PDF link] uses a definition of “Plug–in electric drive vehicle” that has been established previously for consistency in the Maryland Code. The current Maryland bill does not use "connected for charging purposes" language.

The wireless charging issue that @loganss pointed may have implications with the anti-ICEing laws in California and Washington State.

Yeah, but the cop would still need to be able to determine whether a vehicle was a plug-in vehicle or not. Unless they are an avid EV fan, most cops would not be able to tell the difference between say a Ford Fusion Hybrid and a wireless-charge capable Ford Fusion Energi. Hell, probably a lot of them can't even tell the different between a regular Fusion and a Fusion Energi without the cord being plugged in.