TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Maryland BGE Home charging program

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by DermMD, Dec 1, 2016.

1. DermMD

DermMD Member

I registered my car with BGE for their home charging program. They sent me an introductory letter which in summary says I can choose to enroll in their home EV charging rates. The gist of it is that I can get charged lower rates than standard for off peak electricity usage (to encourage charging off peak). However, the peak rates for my house will be higher than standard. That right there may mean that in the end it is not worth enrolling at all as the two aspects may end up cancelling each other out. They clearly have data and the EV rate setting may just be a smoke screen. Any one on this program? Do you have data of your own comparing this program to standard rates?

I can post the letter here is anyone is interested.

2. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

I am on a similar program here in WI (although just called time-of-use, not EV).

Peak hours run 12 hours weekdays (we have some latitude to choose what range), with the other 12 hours on weekdays as well as all weekend and holidays being off peak. Our standard rate was (all amounts rounded for ease) $0.12, peak is $0.18 and off peak is $0.06.

Mathematically, in my case if 2/3 or more of our usage is off peak we come out ahead (remember 2/3 of the time is already off-peak, so you just need to manage those items that are flexible like charging, pool, dishwasher, etc...). Last month > 80% of our usage was off-peak and if I remember correctly we saved about $50 vs. the standard plan.

3. Daro346

Daro346 New Member

I considered the BGE EV program a couple of years ago. There is a separate department that handles EV. They ran an analysis for me. The email address is [email protected] The analysis looked at my actual usage and comparied off peak vs peak rate. it showed there was only a 2.25% savings by going to the time of use metering. Not worth it in my mind!

4. preilly44

preilly44 Member

I live in MD and also inquired about the EV charging program. I too decided against doing it because of the higher day time rates.

BGE obviously doesn't care about pushing the utilization of EV's forward.

5. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

I asked BGE about it too and the rate differential for daytime rates would have increased our total bill. I drive 30-50 miles per day so I'm not using a lot of energy. I have electric A/C and a gas furnace.

I gave BGE feedback that the rate structure made no sense.

• Like x 1
  6. wviands

wviands Member

I skipped it too.

7. loganss

loganss Spaceman

I also looked into it in the past and decided it was not worth it.