TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Maryland Car Owners: Did a flat repair kit come with your car?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by GlenF, Dec 11, 2019.

1. GlenF

GlenF Member

In an online discussion, I saw another Maryland Tesla owner mention that his car came with the flat repair/inflator (the one on in the Tesla store) *as required by law.* I didn't get one, and I don't think anyone at the service center/showroom was aware it should have been included.

I did some digging and found the relevant 2013 Maryland law:

§ 22-405 - 3. Spare tires
    If a new Class A (passenger) or Class M (multipurpose) motor vehicle is sold in this State, the manufacturer shall equip the motor vehicle with a spare tire that conforms with the requirements in § 22-405 of this subtitle, unless:
    (1) The tire-wheel system of the motor vehicle provides a run-flat capability by which a partially inflated driving surface becomes available in the event of a tire failure;
    (2) The motor vehicle is equipped with a factory-installed temporary tire repair and inflation system; or
    (3) Technological improvements, consistent with applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards, become available.

Having already purchased the inflator, I've now asked for a refund from the Tesla store. We'll see how that goes. But I thought I'd ask here to see if this is something that was overlooked for many of us MD owners, or if I was just unlucky.

2. 1HandedBandit

1HandedBandit Member

I did not. I am interested in hearing the response they give you. Which store did you contact?

3. GlenF

GlenF Member

shop.tesla.com, that was where I purchased the inflator (aka "Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit"). Seemed the best starting point for reimbursement.

4. serendipitous

serendipitous Member

I did not. Picked up second week of September from the Rockville center.

5. DeanP

DeanP Member

I assume this only applies to NEW vehicles, right? Not used?

6. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Mine did. Bought in MD. 2nd one didn't. I complained and it magically showed up at point of sale free.

7. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

Live in MD, but picked the car up at Tyson's Corner. I'm guessing that means I don't qualify.

8. dannycamps

dannycamps Member

My used '15 (picked up in Owings Mills) did not come with a kit.

9. Jard

Jard Member

Yes, new Model S delivery on 11/29 at Rockville.

I don't think we got one with our Model 3 in August 2018 in Rockville.