Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland - Cost of Tesla Wall Charger or NEMA 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need advise on cost comparison in Maryland. Please let me know if anyone have either Tesla wall charger or NEMA 14-50 installed and the cost of it?

I got my 1st quote of installing NEMA 14-50 for 640. Installing Tesla Wall Charger 575. This prices include permit to install.

I called Tesla and they said their services cost minimum of 1500 and it could go max around 2000 (this includes price of wall charger).

My charger will go right next to the swithbox, so I will not occur extra cost of extending wire.

Need advise on cost comparison in Maryland. Please let me know if anyone have either Tesla wall charger or NEMA 14-50 installed and the cost of it?

I got my 1st quote of installing NEMA 14-50 for 640. Installing Tesla Wall Charger 575. This prices include permit to install.

I called Tesla and they said their services cost minimum of 1500 and it could go max around 2000 (this includes price of wall charger).

My charger will go right next to the swithbox, so I will not occur extra cost of extending wire.

If those prices are indeed WITH permit/inspection costs, that sounds reasonable. Perhaps a little on the high side. I had a quote from one electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 to use with a Gen 2 mobile connector, and they quoted me $750. However, my install included a 30' run of wire to the outlet location in the garage.

Plus, remember MD will issue a rebate of 40% of the EVSE + install costs as long as the install is permitted and you are eligible for the rebate.

If those prices are indeed WITH permit/inspection costs, that sounds reasonable. Perhaps a little on the high side. I had a quote from one electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 to use with a Gen 2 mobile connector, and they quoted me $750. However, my install included a 30' run of wire to the outlet location in the garage.

Plus, remember MD will issue a rebate of 40% of the EVSE + install costs as long as the install is permitted and you are eligible for the rebate.
That's a pretty good quote for 30'
bro is right that it is the permitting that bites.

I installed NEMA 14-50 in my garage and just got the county inspection done. I had to pull 50ft #6/3 NM-B cable from the main panel in my unfinished basement. Luckily I didn't have to cut dry wall anywhere except the outlet. The total cost of the Materials came to $208.38 after taxes. It cost me an additional $70 for permit. I took multiple quotes from electricians and they all quoted above $1000.00. It took me about 3 hours of time to do the work.

Here is the link to the Homedepot cart

The Home Depot - Shopping Cart

upload_2018-9-20_17-49-21.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Federico
Tesla specifically recommends a Hubbell heavy duty outlet that is $70 because it handles plugging and unplugging regularly better.

I used a Levitron myself for awhile just a FWIW.

I really think the wall connector is money well spent, let's you keep the UMC in the car and as a backup. Let's you charge faster (even if only on a 50amp circuit) which may occasionally come in handy, second can be added at monimmi cost later for load sharing.

Even if you opt for the 14-50 today upsize the wire some, so you have the option of swapping the breaker and a wall connector later.

I really think a lot of folks doing bare minimum 14-50 installs today are costing themselves more later.

I just installed a NEMA 14-50 in the morning, $420 without permit. All the materials are provided by the electrician.

My electrician did a great job, that finished in two hours. My HOA didn't approve my application for installing a charging station at my assigned parking spot. I have to let my charging cord across the sidewalk. I will only charge my car at night.
IMG_2668.JPG

For safety reason, I use 2 cord ramps and one safety cone. I'm considering to add a portable light with censor.
IMG_2671.JPG

Reactions: Federico
I just bought my first Tesla, can someone recommend a good electrician with reasonable rate to install 14-54 outlet? Thanks!!

I meant 14-50 outlet. Just called a random guy from CL and he quoted me $500 minimum for the work while claiming there is no need for a permit for adding just an outlet. I also want to make sure 40% of the installation cost is rebated through EVSE 2.0 in MD.

You'll need a permit to claim the rebate for the install - but can still claim the EVSE cost without.
$500 is ok depending on how long the run is and for what amp wire.
Ours cost $1000 for a 50A breaker and 40A continuous run to our garage.

Our son just bought a 2019 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor. He had a Signature Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 60A breaker (48A charge rate) next to their brand new SoCal single family home's 200A 240V single phase main service panel for:
  • $300 for both parts (12' run of #6 wire, 60" EMT conduit with 3 bends, double gang junction box, 60A double breaker) + 3 hours of labor (electrician was meticulous and did an amazing custom job)
  • $245 electrical permit (I prepared and pulled the permit application including a Load Calc and Floor Plan and he waited for the electrical inspector, both which saved him being charged an additional $200)
  • $375 for Signature Tesla Wall Connector (Tesla referral recipient found on Craigslist)
If he had installed just a 14-50 receptacle on a 50A breaker (40A charge rate) instead of a Tesla Wall Connector, the electrician would have charged:
  • $200 for both parts (6' run of #6 wire, higher quality industrial grade Hubbell HBL9450A Receptacle https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-253-1454-HBL9450A-Receptacle/dp/B000J15QW2, double gang junction box, 50A double breaker) and ~ 1.5 hours labor
  • $245 electrical permit (I prepared and pulled the permit application including a Load Calc and Floor Plan and he waited for the electrical inspector, both which saved him being charged an additional $200)
He decided the extra $475 for the Tesla Wall Connector was worth since:
  • could leave their 2nd generation UMC in their Model 3 all the time
  • this would keep their UMC like new
  • eliminating the UMC / 14-50 connector would eliminate this known "point of failure" that has both melted 14-50 receptacles and ruined the expensive UMC
  • eliminate safety risk of their 1 to 3 year old nephews pulling their UMC out of the 14-50 receptacle
  • they could easily add a 2nd Tesla Wall Connector and Load Share them on a 100A circuit when they get their 2nd Tesla
  • SoCal Edison rebates $500 for EV vehicle owners to offset EV charger installations
  • the Signature matte black Tesla Wall Connector absolutely looks WAY cooler than a UMC
  • brand new Tesla Wall Connectors on Craigslist were selling at a significant discount from Tesla's $545 (including sales tax) price. FYI the seller's here on TMC wanted significantly more for the exact same Signature matte black Tesla Wall Connector
  • his wife's step brother is a licensed electrician and agreed to install their Tesla Wall Connector for FREE... so the actual difference between a 14-50 was only the $375 cost of the Tesla Wall Connector + $50 in parts = $425 net difference = NO BRAINER
Their net cost for their Signature matte black Tesla Wall Connector on a 60A circuit (48A / 11.5kW charge rate) installed was:
  • $375 for Signature Tesla Wall Connector
  • $245 electrical permit
  • $0 electrician installation
  • $50 electrical parts
  • -$500 SCE rebate
$170 NET COST :cool:

Our son just bought a 2019 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor. He had a Signature Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 60A breaker (48A charge rate) next to their brand new SoCal single family home's 200A 240V single phase main service panel for:
  • $300 for both parts (12' run of #6 wire, 60" EMT conduit with 3 bends, double gang junction box, 60A double breaker) + 3 hours of labor (electrician was meticulous and did an amazing custom job)
  • $375 for Signature Tesla Wall Connector (Tesla referral recipient found on Craigslist)
If he had installed just a 14-50 receptacle on a 50A breaker (40A charge rate) instead of a Tesla Wall Connector, the electrician would have charged:
  • $200 for both parts (6' run of #6 wire, higher quality industrial grade Hubbell HBL9450A Receptacle https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-253-1454-HBL9450A-Receptacle/dp/B000J15QW2, double gang junction box, 50A double breaker) and ~ 1.5 hours labor
He decided the extra $475 for the Tesla Wall Connector was worth since:
  • could leave their 2nd generation UMC in their Model 3 all the time
  • this would keep their UMC like new
  • eliminating the UMC / 14-50 connector would eliminate this known "point of failure" that has both melted 14-50 receptacles and ruined the expensive UMC
  • eliminate safety risk of their 1 to 3 year old nephews pulling their UMC out of the 14-50 receptacle
  • they could easily add a 2nd Tesla Wall Connector and Load Share them on a 100A circuit when they get their 2nd Tesla
  • SoCal Edison rebates $500 for EV vehicle owners to offset EV charger installations
  • the Signature matte black Tesla Wall Connector absolutely looks WAY cooler than a UMC
  • brand new Tesla Wall Connectors on Craigslist were selling at a significant discount from Tesla's $545 (including sales tax) price. FYI the seller's here on TMC wanted significantly more for the exact same Signature matte black Tesla Wall Connector
  • his wife's step brother is a licensed electrician and agreed to install their Tesla Wall Connector for FREE... so the actual difference between a 14-50 was only the $375 cost of the Tesla Wall Connector + $50 in parts = $425 net difference = NO BRAINER
Their net cost for their Signature matte black Tesla Wall Connector on a 60A circuit (48A / 11.5kW charge rate) installed was:
  • $375 for Signature Tesla Wall Connector
  • $245 electrical permit
  • $0 electrician installation
  • $50 electrical parts
  • -$500 SCE rebate
$170 NET COST :cool:

Thank you Don for providing such detailed information. I am not more inclined to install the wall connector.

I meant 14-50 outlet. Just called a random guy from CL and he quoted me $500 minimum for the work while claiming there is no need for a permit for adding just an outlet. I also want to make sure 40% of the installation cost is rebated through EVSE 2.0 in MD.
He's likely lying about not needing the permit so he can low-ball the bid. Most places definitely need a permit to add a new circuit.

Reactions: BrokerDon and Runt8
Thank you Don for providing such detailed information. I am not more inclined to install the wall connector.

@katiedaddy, HoCo requires a GFCI breaker for EV charging to pass permit inspection. We had our electrical work done in July (new breaker in finished basement) and long run into the garage where NEMA 14-50 was installed. The electrician mentioned there was a potential for breaker tripping due to dual GFCI (the UMC has one built in). In October after a software upgrade to v9 we started having the breaker trip randomly. I recently resorted to having the GFCI breaker replaced with non-GFCI and charging has returned to a worry-free event.

He's likely lying about not needing the permit so he can low-ball the bid. Most places definitely need a permit to add a new circuit.[/QUOTE
My electrician here in Ma did not pull a permit , he said it wasn’t necessary for adding an outlet. NEMA 14-50. He said he would if I wanted, but I said don’t bother. I’m getting 30 MPH which is plenty in my situation.

Keep in mind, the 14-50 outlet can only pull 32A max on a Model 3. Where as the Wall Connector can pull 40A.

For ultimate convenience and safety, if you chose UMC for home Charging you should permanently allocate the UMC for the home and purchase a 2nd that stays with the car. You don’t want to remove the UMC from the house on a daily basis, you want topping off daily to be quick, like 10 seconds. Nor risk not having the UMC with you in a pinch with the car because you got tired of packing it up daily and forgot it or never expected you’d need it.

So add $300 to the total if you go with 14-50.

Personally I think a 14-50 outlet should be ground faulted and that isn’t cheap. Even if code does not require it. You don’t need the Wall Connector circuit breaker Ground Faulted.

I assume the OP prices don’t include the Wall Connector because that part is $500 alone.

So add $500 to the Wall Connector install and $300 to the 14-50 install.

Since it is right next to switch box and highly doubtful that would include Wall Charger. It seems kind of high. If it did include Wall Charger and permits that sounds to good to be true.

I’m kind of surprised 14-50 is more expensive but that might be because he did include a GFCI breaker which are around $100.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden