Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland EV Tax Incentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found out a few days ago that the Maryland EV tax incentive has run out of funds, even though you were able to claim it up to July 2013. I hear there is a new bill in the legislature to extend it until 2015, but I couldn't tell if there will also be new funds. Because what is the point if there is no cash to back it up. Anyone have any info on this?

I found out a few days ago that the Maryland EV tax incentive has run out of funds, even though you were able to claim it up to July 2013. I hear there is a new bill in the legislature to extend it until 2015, but I couldn't tell if there will also be new funds. Because what is the point if there is no cash to back it up. Anyone have any info on this?

While there have been posts in various places the the incentive was eliminated on March 15 I haven't found any official evidence of that. None, anywhere. It was set to expire in June. I'm hoping it didn't expire in March as that will add $2,000 to the cost of my car, which likely will be delivered in late April or early May.

How can a tax credit run out of funds? Given the creative financing in state government I can't imagine that Maryland actually set aside reserves to cover the costs of the incentive.

While there have been posts in various places the the incentive was eliminated on March 15 I haven't found any official evidence of that. None, anywhere. It was set to expire in June. I'm hoping it didn't expire in March as that will add $2,000 to the cost of my car, which likely will be delivered in late April or early May.

How can a tax credit run out of funds? Given the creative financing in state government I can't imagine that Maryland actually set aside reserves to cover the costs of the incentive.

I had a link from the forums at TM's site and there is/was an announcement on MVA's home page on the lower right--easy to miss. clicking it goes to a very brief explanation. I didn't know it was fund-limited, so I count myself lucky to have gotten the credit and I'm bummed for the folks who didn't get their car in time to get the credit!

I don't know whether Maryland set aside reserves, but clearly they only earmarked a certain amount of money.

@Ven: If they're looking at extending it then that must include new funds. Hopefully they'll pump some cash into it and make it available to folks who get their cars during this gap--I don't believe there's really a time limit on applying for the rebate/incentive, so I'm sure if it's extended and includes 2013, that it will be available to anyone who got their car after the incentive ran out of funds earlier this month.

Last edited:
I had a link from the forums at TM's site and there is/was an announcement on MVA's home page on the lower right--easy to miss. clicking it goes to a very brief explanation. I didn't know it was fund-limited, so I count myself lucky to have gotten the credit and I'm bummed for the folks who didn't get their car in time to get the credit!

I don't know whether Maryland set aside reserves, but clearly they only earmarked a certain amount of money.

@Ven: If they're looking at extending it then that much include new funds. Hopefully they'll pump some cash into it and make it available to folks who get their cars during this gap--I don't believe there's really a time limit on applying for the rebate/incentive, so I'm sure if it's extended and includes 2013, that it will be available to anyone who got their car after the incentive ran out of funds earlier this month.

Thanks. That's disappointing, but it's the crazy world of our political system and the politicians who star in its daily clown show.

I took delivery of my model s in mid-feb and have been waiting on my plates since then. This thread made me check in with tesla on the status of my registration....and.....you guessed it: it looks like my paperwork has been sitting on someone's desk since purchase. Tesla FedExed it to the MVA today. I don't think this is going to end well for me!

I took delivery of my model s in mid-feb and have been waiting on my plates since then. This thread made me check in with tesla on the status of my registration....and.....you guessed it: it looks like my paperwork has been sitting on someone's desk since purchase. Tesla FedExed it to the MVA today. I don't think this is going to end well for me!

D'oh! Hopefully MVA moves quickly on it. How long does that California strip of paper last???

D'oh! Hopefully MVA moves quickly on it. How long does that California strip of paper last???

First, the CA registration may not be legal at all if the car is going to be registered in another state.

Second, MD requires cars to be registered within 30 days. The CA temp registration may show it is good for 90 days but this is not going to help you in MD.

I know a little about this because I was pulled over for missing plates in MD. The LEO did not accept the CA temp registration as valid and wrote 5 (five) tickets for this offense. And my car was impounded. My court date to fight all this is coming up.

Lessons learned: Do not rely on TM to take care of the registration in a timely fashion. Call them to make sure the paperwork has been sent to the MVA. Even better, do it yourself.

Hey Chris,

That sucks! Is Tesla helping you out with this?

On the legal side, do you happen to have the MD code that supports the LEOs tickets? Also, where in MD did this happen?

Thanks,

Peter

First, the CA registration may not be legal at all if the car is going to be registered in another state.

Second, MD requires cars to be registered within 30 days. The CA temp registration may show it is good for 90 days but this is not going to help you in MD.

I know a little about this because I was pulled over for missing plates in MD. The LEO did not accept the CA temp registration as valid and wrote 5 (five) tickets for this offense. And my car was impounded. My court date to fight all this is coming up.

Lessons learned: Do not rely on TM to take care of the registration in a timely fashion. Call them to make sure the paperwork has been sent to the MVA. Even better, do it yourself.

Whoops, I should have asked that, too--when MD requires registration.

I'm curious, did you have that letter from Tesla that they give people these days? I know folks have had inconsistent experiences with law enforcement in the DC area. Anyway, that sucks, sorry, man. I count myself lucky I wasn't pulled over at all, let alone by someone like you encountered. I hope your court date goes smoothly. I'm glad Tesla's being supportive--I hope they're doing something useful to help you! ;-(

I was personally worried about missing out in the MD tax incentive, but Chris's situation raises the bar.

im at 6 weeks without a pullover. Fortunately, I live in Baltimore city where the police department's last priority is my tesla (I hope). I love my tesla, but this process is broken.