Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland EVSE credit proof of payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kendallpb

Model S: P 8061
Oct 29, 2010
MD, USA
I bought the HPWC with my car; anyone applied for the Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Tax Credit Program? The application for the credit requires a "photo copy of a paid invoice, receipt or equivalent proof of payment for EVSE." I'm e-mailing the guy listed at the bottom of the web page, but I'm just wondering, since I paid for it as part of the car purchase, what I can use . . . the final MVPA? That's like an invoice, but not a paid invoice. I remember paperwork when I picked up the car, and paying the balance with a check from my Credit Union, but I don't remember a receipt, per se. Was there one? I'm usually good at keeping this stuff, but I'm at a loss.

:redface: Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Weirder yet, I have to file form 500CR once I get the MEA certificate of the credit. Two problems here:

1. Form 502 says "You must file this form electronically to claim business tax credits on Form 500CR." (I'm not worried about the business tax credits; the EVSE Tax Credit page makes it clear this is one of the weird situations where individuals may use the biz form to claim a credit.)

2. Maryland'e electronic iFile system doesn't have a section for 500CR.

This makes me think I'll have to buy the state package from TurboTax, but if filing electronically, how does one attach the credit certificate? It seems like a Catch-22! ;-)

BTW I've been Googling this stuff--no luck; Googling my original question, above, mainly gets me old PDFs. I've e-mailed both Qs to Maryland...let's see what they say...but I figure, it might wind up being faster checking here, to see how other folks handled it. ;-)

It's fairly easy for professionals, so worst case you may need to ask an accountant buddy.

This was the closest I could find to a solution on the consumer side... How do I take the Maryland Community Investment TAx - TurboTax Support (from last year.)

Looking like VERY slim pickings beyond that...http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Indi...x_Forms/Approved_eFile_Software_Vendors.shtml (third & fourth columns.)

Whoops, this does look like a no-go. Thanks for that second link, especially--500CR not supported in any Intuit products for individuals. Bummer! That first link seems to imply filing by mail (since it says to include the form that's not in TurboTax)...but 500CR must be filed electronically. Ugh! Interesting that Maryland's table even covers which ones allow attaching binary files to the return, which I believe I'll have to do--column 4, as you say--"Personal Binary Attachments Accepted."

I did get a confirmation e-mail from Maryland that, as it appeared, iFile doesn't support it.

I guess I'll check out some of those other individual e-filing options from your second link. Thanks! You're right about slim-pickings, though--I don't recognize any of the ones that (a) aren't listed as not supporting 500CR, and (b) do support binary attachments:

CS Professional, Drake Pro, NTS Services Corp (if they do individual), Taxsoftware.com online and Pro (regular), Taxworks, and Universal Taxwise

Anyone used any of these?! Some sound like they're aimed at accountants, but I don't have time to Google them right now; I'll check tomorrow, thanks! I'm not sure I have an accountant buddy (let alone one who does Maryland), but I may wind up asking around. ;-)

You can click their names to go to the websites, but from your list, NTS and Taxsoftware.com are the only ones I don't recognize as being a professional product (and half are serviced by the same company). Glancing over the Taxsoftware website, I'm a bit scared it actually passed MD's quality review, and NTS definitely looks pro-only.