Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Excise Tax Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my check in the mail today. Can I ask the amount of your check?? Mine was less than 3k. I got a mid range nov 2018 - I wonder if that matters??

Yes, my check was $2,142 for an SR+. Here's how it's calculated:

1. Maximum of $100 per kWh battery, up to $3,000 (all Teslas qualify for the full $3,000 here).
  2. Rebate of sales tax paid. tl;dr: you can only get back what you paid in sales tax.
In Maryland the excise tax is 6%, but that's inclusive of destination fee and exclusive of trade-in value. So in my case my vehicle cost $37,500 + $1,200 destination made it $38,700. But I also had a $3,000 trade-in so that reduced the taxable value to $35,700. 6% of $35,700 is exactly $2,142.

Reactions: shanif
To reiterate, funding for the tax rebate has not yet been re-appropriated for 2020 (FY2020 and FY2021).

Just reading through the Maryland Legislative Process right now: Maryland General Assembly - Legislative Process it seems like it is less likely for a funding bill to pass since it was not introduced in the First Readings of this year. That being said, it's not impossible.

Does anyone have contacts in the General Assembly? Are there any ZEV champions we could all reach out to to stress the importance of re-upping funding for all those EV owners on the waitlist?

For anyone who got their checks last year or earlier, did you ever receive a 1099G from the state? I was expecting to receive a digital one by the January 31 deadline to report as income on my Federal taxes, but I haven't received it yet.

Thanks!

I never got one for my 2 rebates in different years. I would assume this is not income, but a refund of sales tax paid.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I never got one for my 2 rebates in different years. I would assume this is not income, but a refund of sales tax paid.

Thanks for this interpretation. It's hard to tell whether this is a "grant," "tax credit," "rebate," or "refund." In California, the consensus is that their EV credit is taxable income: Solved: Is the California electric vehicle rebate taxable income? The amount is $2500. But the California credit is more of a "state grant" than anything else.

If the Maryland tax credit is actually a tax refund, then it should only be taxable if you chose to deduct state taxes (and I'm not sure anyone is allowed to do that anymore). I imagine I will have to pay federal taxes on the Maryland state EVSE grant, however, since that's a pure grant.

I just want to make sure I'm crossing my T's and dotting my I's this year. I'm also applying for the Federal EV Tax Credit, and I have heard that claiming it can open you up to further audits.

I bought my Tesla Model 3 on Jan 25, 2019. On the home delivery date, your so called “Delivery Team Member” told me that Tesla will sign the Maryland VR-334 Exercise Tax Credit Form and sent it to MVA for me. Now, it is Feb 13, 2020, I called the MVA and they said they never received my VR-334 form. I will have to resend it to them. So, I have been waiting for a year and for nothing. Now, I even missed the Maryland Fiscal Year 2020 Funding Pool (It has depleted). If I had known Tesla didn’t sent VR-334 for me, I would have sent it myself. I wouldn’t have missed Fiscal Year 2020 Funding Pool. Don't trust the delivery person and make sure you sent the VR-334 form yourself.

I bought my Tesla Model 3 on Jan 25, 2019. On the home delivery date, your so called “Delivery Team Member” told me that Tesla will sign the Maryland VR-334 Exercise Tax Credit Form and sent it to MVA for me. Now, it is Feb 13, 2020, I called the MVA and they said they never received my VR-334 form. I will have to resend it to them. So, I have been waiting for a year and for nothing. Now, I even missed the Maryland Fiscal Year 2020 Funding Pool (It has depleted). If I had known Tesla didn’t sent VR-334 for me, I would have sent it myself. I wouldn’t have missed Fiscal Year 2020 Funding Pool. So, do yourself a favor, ignore the delivery guy and sent the form yourself.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I bought my Tesla Model 3 on Jan 25, 2019. On the home delivery date, your so called “Delivery Team Member” told me that Tesla will sign the Maryland VR-334 Exercise Tax Credit Form and sent it to MVA for me. Now, it is Feb 13, 2020, I called the MVA and they said they never received my VR-334 form. I will have to resend it to them. So, I have been waiting for a year and for nothing. Now, I even missed the Maryland Fiscal Year 2020 Funding Pool (It has depleted). If I had known Tesla didn’t sent VR-334 for me, I would have sent it myself. I wouldn’t have missed Fiscal Year 2020 Funding Pool. So, do yourself a favor, ignore the delivery guy and sent the form yourself.
FYI, this is not a Tesla owned or operated website. Commenting here is not an effective means of communicating with the company.

Sorry to hear that, I picked my 3 up from the Tesla at Tysons and they printed out and signed the VR-334 for me. I did have to mail it in myself, however.

To be fair, if the Governor's version of the bill comes through this year, you'll likely get more money. They're talking about a flat $3,000 for every applicant, instead of just a reimbursement of your excise tax up to $3,000. After my trade-in reduced the basis, I got less than $3,000 back.

To be fair, if the Governor's version of the bill comes through this year, you'll likely get more money. They're talking about a flat $3,000 for every applicant, instead of just a reimbursement of your excise tax up to $3,000. After my trade-in reduced the basis, I got less than $3,000 back.

I saw the revised bill and I'm a bit confused. If you bought the vehicle before 2020, would you be eligible for only the sales tax refund up to $3000 OR would you be eligible for the flat $3000 tax refund regardless of the tax actually paid. Reason why i ask this is because technically the bill goes into effect 7/2020. Does the flat $3000 (regardless of how much tax was paid at the time of purchase) refund only apply to purchases after 7/2020?