Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Excise Tax Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw the revised bill and I'm a bit confused. If you bought the vehicle before 2020, would you be eligible for only the sales tax refund up to $3000 OR would you be eligible for the flat $3000 tax refund regardless of the tax actually paid. Reason why i ask this is because technically the bill goes into effect 7/2020. Does the flat $3000 (regardless of how much tax was paid at the time of purchase) refund only apply to purchases after 7/2020?

I think it applies to all vehicles purchased new and titled after July 1, 2017, but it has always been a once-per-lifetime credit. So you couldn't apply again if you applied once and received less than $3,000. But that being said, if you're married and buy a second EV your spouse can also apply for the credit.

Also, thanks to @Lanny here's a copy of Delegate Fraser-Hidalgo's version of the bill: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2020RS/fnotes/bil_0003/hb1223.pdf

Looks like the Delegate and the Governor agree on the flat $3,000 per vehicle, but differ on whether to include hybrids (Delegate's version is limited to 30 kWh and above) and the total amount of funding ($12 million from the Governor and $24 million from the Delegate).

Reactions: Lanny
I think it applies to all vehicles purchased new and titled after July 1, 2017, but it has always been a once-per-lifetime credit. So you couldn't apply again if you applied once and received less than $3,000. But that being said, if you're married and buy a second EV your spouse can also apply for the credit.

Also, thanks to @Lanny here's a copy of Delegate Fraser-Hidalgo's version of the bill: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2020RS/fnotes/bil_0003/hb1223.pdf

Looks like the Delegate and the Governor agree on the flat $3,000 per vehicle, but differ on whether to include hybrids (Delegate's version is limited to 30 kWh and above) and the total amount of funding ($12 million from the Governor and $24 million from the Delegate).

If I traded in a vehicle back on November 2019 and paid the tax only on the taxable portion (Vehicle Price - Trade In = Paid Tax), lets say $500 bucks. Do you think this situation would result in the flat refund of $3000 or would I only get $500 back as I had purchased it before the effective date of the new bill (7/2020)

If I traded in a vehicle back on November 2019 and paid the tax only on the taxable portion (Vehicle Price - Trade In = Paid Tax), lets say $500 bucks. Do you think this situation would result in the flat refund of $3000 or would I only get $500 back as I had purchased it before the effective date of the new bill (7/2020)

Upon second reading, it's actually not as clear as I first thought. Both versions of the bill say:

"A person may claim an excise tax credit equal to $3,000 for each qualified zero-emission electric vehicle or fuel cell electric vehicle."

Where the past legislation read:

"Subject to available funding, a person who purchases a qualified plug-in electric vehicle or a qualified fuel cell electric vehicle may claim a credit against the vehicle excise tax. The credit is equal to 100% of the excise tax imposed, not to exceed $3,000."

Now that led me to believe that they are simply changing the rebate from 100% of the excise tax imposed to a flat $3,000 for everyone... But reading the top line again, it's still called an "excise tax credit" despite dropping the "not to exceed" language. Would it still be an "excise tax credit" if it exceeded the excise tax paid?

Also, be thankful that the legislation doesn't simply state that this is a state grant or rebate. Because it's a tax credit, you don't need to pay Federal income tax on it. So maybe if it exceeded the excise tax paid it would cease to be an excise tax credit... Sorry I can't provide a more definitive answer!

I just received a check for 2280 from the MVA with no identifying information or verbiage in it at all. It did have my Tesla title # in the Invoice number section of the check. I submitted my forms a couple weeks after a 3/18/19 purchase, and my last communication with the MVA folks was that they had my forms and that mine was on the pending list, and would be addressed after the April 2020 legislation session.

So I wasn't expecting anything yet (particuarly not now) and I was always expecting the full 3K but I guess, as in the discussion above, it's limited to the actual sales tax paid? (my invoice says 2292, which is close...). I can't, of course, call to ask, they're closed.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I just received a check for 2280 from the MVA with no identifying information or verbiage in it at all. It did have my Tesla title # in the Invoice number section of the check. I submitted my forms a couple weeks after a 3/18/19 purchase, and my last communication with the MVA folks was that they had my forms and that mine was on the pending list, and would be addressed after the April 2020 legislation session.

So I wasn't expecting anything yet (particuarly not now) and I was always expecting the full 3K but I guess, as in the discussion above, it's limited to the actual sales tax paid? (my invoice says 2292, which is close...). I can't, of course, call to ask, they're closed.

that’s weird. the bills regarding ev credit have been shelved for this year because of corona so it’s odd that you are getting money now. i thought their ev rebate funds were depleted?

As someone that bought two months after you, I'm crossing my fingers...and will check my mail closely.

I submitted my VR-344 on June 20th of 2019 for a purchase on June 8th of 2019. Receipt was acknowledged when I called them but as of today, September 22, 2020 I have not heard from them.

They had funding renewal suspended due to the pandemic. And oddly enough, it looks like their official page describing the funding has been password protected: https://mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/Pages/27300-71T.aspx

I had luck contacting them via this email address in 2019. Not sure if it's still active, but it's worth a try: [email protected]

Has anyone gotten their rebate this year?

My form was received late April 2019. I heard that I had just missed the cutoff and that I'd be receiving a rebate this year. The last status I saw was pending. I asked the MVA for an update today and they told me funding is not available.

Has anyone gotten their rebate this year?

My form was received late April 2019. I heard that I had just missed the cutoff and that I'd be receiving a rebate this year. The last status I saw was pending. I asked the MVA for an update today and they told me funding is not available.

Read comments above.
COVID stopped the approval process. Hopefully they’ll take it up again at some point.