Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Front Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my Model S with DC temp tags (I purchased before MD allowed direct sales) they told me something similar; that they wouldn't mount the bracket if I didn't want them to since the DC temps only needed the rear tag *wink*

Additionally, at the time (and perennially) there was a bill up that would possibly remove the requirement for a Front Plate in MD. As always, it failed to pass, but I had been hopeful so I devised a "temporary" mounting of the front plate with zip-ties and some adhesive foam on the back of the front plate (to minimize scratches).

Since my car is old enough to come with a nose-cone it was easy to pop this solution on and off, but I ended up leaving it attached for quite some time until this spring when I accidentally tapped someone in traffic at an exit off-ramp (she started to go then stopped and I had turned my head to check cross traffic). I took the plate-solution off to fix a smushed wire on one of the ultrasonic sensors and left it off while I tested my fix out.

Then I just sorta left it off all the time and have been driving with only a rear plate ever since.

Knock on matte obeche wood, but I've not had any issues as of yet. I believe you're correct about it being a secondary offense, but most of us Tesla drivers are also typically committing the primary offense of "exceeding the posted speed limit" ;)

Some folks have noted that they received tickets when parked at meters or in other publicly accessible parking areas that are checked for parking enforcement but I think most of those reports have come from the other coast.

Reactions: preilly44
When I picked up my Model S with DC temp tags (I purchased before MD allowed direct sales) they told me something similar; that they wouldn't mount the bracket if I didn't want them to since the DC temps only needed the rear tag *wink*

Additionally, at the time (and perennially) there was a bill up that would possibly remove the requirement for a Front Plate in MD. As always, it failed to pass, but I had been hopeful so I devised a "temporary" mounting of the front plate with zip-ties and some adhesive foam on the back of the front plate (to minimize scratches).

Since my car is old enough to come with a nose-cone it was easy to pop this solution on and off, but I ended up leaving it attached for quite some time until this spring when I accidentally tapped someone in traffic at an exit off-ramp (she started to go then stopped and I had turned my head to check cross traffic). I took the plate-solution off to fix a smushed wire on one of the ultrasonic sensors and left it off while I tested my fix out.

Then I just sorta left it off all the time and have been driving with only a rear plate ever since.

Knock on matte obeche wood, but I've not had any issues as of yet. I believe you're correct about it being a secondary offense, but most of us Tesla drivers are also typically committing the primary offense of "exceeding the posted speed limit" ;)

Some folks have noted that they received tickets when parked at meters or in other publicly accessible parking areas that are checked for parking enforcement but I think most of those reports have come from the other coast.

I thought I really wanted no plate on the front. I bought the special tool to remove the plate. If you decide you don't want it and take it off. There will no evidence that it was there and you will probably be safe if you keep a copy of this law in your glove box.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013rs/bills/hb/hb0577f.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Richk and kevinf311
I purchased an almost invisible bracket called "The Law" for my Calif 2016 MX. The bracket was $125 but is very well made, heavy steel, black in color. Easy to install by attaching to the grill below the bumper, and is barely visible. I leave the plate off most the time, but carry it in the car for quick attachment if I need to street park

We have a front plate law but its rarely enforced, except by parking meter personnel. If you park on the street in most major Calif cities, you have a good chance of picking up a ticket for no front plate. We also have a height limit on placement of the plate which makes carrying it on the dash a violation.

Im wishing we would just do away with the darn things, but apparently the extensive use of red light cameras in Calif has reinforced the need for vehicles to have them.

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid
I thought I really wanted no plate on the front. I bought the special tool to remove the plate. If you decide you don't want it and take it off. There will no evidence that it was there and you will probably be safe if you keep a copy of this law in your glove box.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013rs/bills/hb/hb0577f.pdf

Unfortunately that PDF file does not reflect current Maryland law. It is the text of House Bill HB 577 from 2013 which did not pass. It received a hearing in the House Environmental Matters Committee, but no further action was taken.

Similar bills, HB 585 of 2012 and HB 425 of 2016, also did not pass. The police usually testify against these bills at the hearings.

Magneplate is another quick removal option. No Drill Tesla Model S Front License Plate

The law does not require that it be displayed, only that the plate be accessible. I'd think that keeping it in the frunk would be ok.

Sorry, but no.

The law in Maryland not only requires that the front plate be displayed, but that it be attached:

"one plate shall be attached on the front and the other on the rear of the vehicle."​

See the text of the Maryland Statute here.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
marsh1n " ... There is no bracket, so I don't need it ... "
The front tag isn't needed for the DC temporary registration that came with my car, but it's clear that my MD registration currently requires an attached front tag. I don't like the look of the front tag, but I need to (at least try to) be legal.

Thanks Curt.

I installed the Magneplate mount in August after I bought the car in June 2015. I have received 1 ticket for not having the plate mounted. It seems that Magneplate is no longer selling their option. I keep the plate in the frunk currently and don't plan on putting it back on. Also, the suction cups that attach the top of the Magneplate don't last very long, but the magnetic posts on the bottom keep the plate attached fairly well.

One benefit of living in West Virginia. No front tag! They look just wrong on the refresh. Took mine off shortly after it was home. Tesla would not take it off on delivery. Gave me a line about it was crash test approved with it on or some such nonsense.

The Law - Front License Plate Bracket for Tesla Model S
This is what I have too. So two votes for "the Law" (didn't realize that was its name until I googled it). The tag is a little lower on the front of the car than the way the Service Center mounts it, and since I have the long black EZPass on top of my license plate, it actually blends a bit with the classic nosecone.

Maryland has a bill in the 2018 legislative session to change the law to issue and require only one plate for all vehicles registered in the state. This has been proposed in previous years and had met resistance from law enforcement and toll plaza operators. 2018 SB12. http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2018RS/bills/sb/sb0012f.pdf
Thanks for the update. I can't wait to remove my front plate if this passes.

I've been driving my S for 2 1/2 years without the front tag mounted. I did get ticketed in late August 2015 for not having the front plate mounted. Oddly enough, the bracket I bought (can't remember the manufacturer, but it has the pins and magnetic sockets) arrived the next day. I keep the tag in the frunk, but I've not had any reason to put it back on.

Reactions: Richk and preilly44