TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Maryland HOV Permit

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by yokel, Jun 19, 2018.

1. yokel

yokel Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. My Model 3 delivery is scheduled next week and I am wondering about the logistics for HOV Permit and Excise tax credit for Maryland since I couldn't get an answer from Tesla, yet.

On the MVA page at High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Permit Issuance for Plug-in Electric Vehicles, I see this text:

"Note: If you are planning to purchase a plug-in electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer can issue you an HOV permit at the time of purchase."

Does Tesla do this at the time of delivery or should I fill out and submit the form to MVA to obtain the HOV permit?

Also, does Tesla handle the paperwork for VR-334, the form for the excise tax credit? I'm just trying to be prepared to avoid extra trips.

Thanks!

2. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

I would focus on the delivery and condition of the car. I would plan on processing the additional MVA paperwork yourself. If you want the HOV permit immediately, you can go to the 2nd floor of the Glen Burnie MVA and they do it on a walk in basis. Usually no line, just go directly to the 2nd floor service area.

3. yokel

yokel Member

Yeah - the delivery is definitely my primary focus. I had to run around to get the paperwork done for the excise credit with Chevy dealer for my Volt, hence the question. I need the HOV sticker as I’m dependent on that a lot, so will try to do the walk-in, thanks for the tip.

BTW, I saw a really nice red Model 3 in Boyd’s the other day with CHRGIT as the license plate. Your handle reminded me of it. Wondering if that was you!

4. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

That is my license plate, but not my car. I have a Model S. Hopefully it wasn't a MD plate or there may be a counterfeit tag out there.

Also read the current excise rules very carefully. When I did my Model S a few years ago, I had to put my wife on the title as I had already claimed the tax credit with a Nissan Leaf. Not sure how the program works now.

5. yokel

yokel Member

It was a MD plate for sure, but I could be remembering the words incorrectly. It was definitely a variation of “charge it”.

6. yokel

yokel Member

Yep - planned it that way. Volt is titled to the wife and Model 3 to me.

7. DarrenK

DarrenK Member

Are you talking about the MD credit? there is no limit on the Federal tax credit.

8. yokel

yokel Member

Yes. MD tax credit is limited to one time per person.

9. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Yep, and that sorta sucks in a 1 per lifetime credit. I think CA allows 2 per YEAR per individual or something crazy like that.
    Of course a way to skirt the 1 per person limit would be to create an LLC. Then I think you'd be able to take 5 or 10 credits under the LLC's name. I seriously considered starting "Bro1999's Consulting Services LLC" to cash in on more MD credits. ;) If I was still lease flipping, I would have strongly considered it.

10. sdugan99

sdugan99 Member

I did the HOV permit after taking delivery it is a simple process. I wasn't in a rush as the only place I travel with HOV lane is 50 and that is about twice per week during the school year.

11. yokel

yokel Member

How was the tax credit process? Did Tesla fill out their portion promptly?

12. yokel

yokel Member

Agreed. Also, I just wish the credit was at point of sale and done online for manufacturers like Tesla who are fully electric.

13. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

Tesla will NOT give you the HOV Sticker...you have to fill out the form and submit. Enjoy!

14. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

If you don't want the sticker directly on your paint, you can follow what I rigged up in the thread below:

MD HOV sticker

This satisfies the requirement for the sticker to be secured w/in 12" of the rear license plate but with the benefit of not messing up your paint!

15. DarrenK

DarrenK Member

That thread appears to be closed. So my question is do I need a hacksaw/jigsaw/powered saw and not just the knife tool? I don't have it, but I do have a drill...

16. GOPJEW

GOPJEW Member

Tesla will NOT give you the HOV Sticker...you have to fill out the form and submit. Enjo
    I used a saw to make mine - just cutting out the shape of the permit so it looks cleaner...

• Like x 1
  17. DarrenK

DarrenK Member

No saw...I have limited tools...lol. But I am sure I can borrow a saw from my buddy.

18. sdugan99

sdugan99 Member

I didn't need Tesla to fill out anything for the Tax Credit or the HOV sticker. Hov is a form you file with the MVA. Tax credit is a credit on your tax return you just need proof of purchase.

19. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

No, the Excise tax refund is not filed with your taxes, it is filed with MVA. See form attached.

Attached Files:

20. sdugan99

sdugan99 Member

Sorry didn't read back assumed it was the Federal tax credit. I didn't qualify for the excise tax credit as that limits the purchase to 60k