Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland HOV Permit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. My Model 3 delivery is scheduled next week and I am wondering about the logistics for HOV Permit and Excise tax credit for Maryland since I couldn't get an answer from Tesla, yet.

On the MVA page at High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Permit Issuance for Plug-in Electric Vehicles, I see this text:

"Note: If you are planning to purchase a plug-in electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer can issue you an HOV permit at the time of purchase."

Does Tesla do this at the time of delivery or should I fill out and submit the form to MVA to obtain the HOV permit?

Also, does Tesla handle the paperwork for VR-334, the form for the excise tax credit? I'm just trying to be prepared to avoid extra trips.

Thanks!

I would focus on the delivery and condition of the car. I would plan on processing the additional MVA paperwork yourself. If you want the HOV permit immediately, you can go to the 2nd floor of the Glen Burnie MVA and they do it on a walk in basis. Usually no line, just go directly to the 2nd floor service area.

Yeah - the delivery is definitely my primary focus. I had to run around to get the paperwork done for the excise credit with Chevy dealer for my Volt, hence the question. I need the HOV sticker as I’m dependent on that a lot, so will try to do the walk-in, thanks for the tip.

BTW, I saw a really nice red Model 3 in Boyd’s the other day with CHRGIT as the license plate. Your handle reminded me of it. Wondering if that was you!

Yeah - the delivery is definitely my primary focus. I had to run around to get the paperwork done for the excise credit with Chevy dealer for my Volt, hence the question. I need the HOV sticker as I’m dependent on that a lot, so will try to do the walk-in, thanks for the tip.

BTW, I saw a really nice red Model 3 in Boyd’s the other day with CHRGIT as the license plate. Your handle reminded me of it. Wondering if that was you!
That is my license plate, but not my car. I have a Model S. Hopefully it wasn't a MD plate or there may be a counterfeit tag out there.

Also read the current excise rules very carefully. When I did my Model S a few years ago, I had to put my wife on the title as I had already claimed the tax credit with a Nissan Leaf. Not sure how the program works now.

That is my license plate, but not my car. I have a Model S. Hopefully it wasn't a MD plate or there may be a counterfeit tag out there.

Also read the current excise rules very carefully. When I did my Model S a few years ago, I had to put my wife on the title as I had already claimed the tax credit with a Nissan Leaf. Not sure how the program works now.

Yep - planned it that way. Volt is titled to the wife and Model 3 to me.

Yes. MD tax credit is limited to one time per person.

Yep, and that sorta sucks in a 1 per lifetime credit. I think CA allows 2 per YEAR per individual or something crazy like that.
Of course a way to skirt the 1 per person limit would be to create an LLC. Then I think you'd be able to take 5 or 10 credits under the LLC's name. I seriously considered starting "Bro1999's Consulting Services LLC" to cash in on more MD credits. ;) If I was still lease flipping, I would have strongly considered it.

Yep, and that sorta sucks in a 1 per lifetime credit. I think CA allows 2 per YEAR per individual or something crazy like that.
Of course a way to skirt the 1 per person limit would be to create an LLC. Then I think you'd be able to take 5 or 10 credits under the LLC's name. I seriously considered starting "Bro1999's Consulting Services LLC" to cash in on more MD credits. ;) If I was still lease flipping, I would have strongly considered it.

Agreed. Also, I just wish the credit was at point of sale and done online for manufacturers like Tesla who are fully electric.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. My Model 3 delivery is scheduled next week and I am wondering about the logistics for HOV Permit and Excise tax credit for Maryland since I couldn't get an answer from Tesla, yet.

On the MVA page at High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Permit Issuance for Plug-in Electric Vehicles, I see this text:

"Note: If you are planning to purchase a plug-in electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer can issue you an HOV permit at the time of purchase."

Does Tesla do this at the time of delivery or should I fill out and submit the form to MVA to obtain the HOV permit?

Also, does Tesla handle the paperwork for VR-334, the form for the excise tax credit? I'm just trying to be prepared to avoid extra trips.

Thanks!
Tesla will NOT give you the HOV Sticker...you have to fill out the form and submit. Enjoy!

If you don't want the sticker directly on your paint, you can follow what I rigged up in the thread below:

MD HOV sticker

This satisfies the requirement for the sticker to be secured w/in 12" of the rear license plate but with the benefit of not messing up your paint!
That thread appears to be closed. So my question is do I need a hacksaw/jigsaw/powered saw and not just the knife tool? I don't have it, but I do have a drill...

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Tesla will NOT give you the HOV Sticker...you have to fill out the form and submit. Enjo
That thread appears to be closed. So my question is do I need a hacksaw/jigsaw/powered saw and not just the knife tool? I don't have it, but I do have a drill...
I used a saw to make mine - just cutting out the shape of the permit so it looks cleaner...

Reactions: DarrenK