Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Solar Roof Soup to Nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pepco PTO came in this morning (at least that is how I read the email), so wanted to provide an update on my experience for those contemplating this in Maryland (and, in particular, with PEPCO). Signed the purchase agreement May 28, 2020, so total time just shy of six months. Originally, it would've taken a little longer. Assigned an install date of first week in November. Received a call in August that they would like to start in early September, which I (of course) accepted (side note: this resulted in me getting the Firestone underlay whereas I would've had the TESLA one now...lots of threads on that). Install of 11.3 kw roof and three pws took a little over two weeks, but went as well and as smoothly as it could go. Roofing crew was great (added gutters the following weekend in one day), pw crew and install crew even better. So, without the bump up, likely would've been an eight month process for me, BUT: much of that was do to some PEPCO interplay. If you have the PIV rate with PEPCO, GO TO THE REGULAR RATE BEFORE THE INSTALL. They rejected my application twice and it was hard out find out why. But they will not let you net meter over the plug in rate, and it takes a lot of back-and-forth to figure that out. They should just automatically switch you but do not, and the process can take two weeks. Lost a lot of time there and then had to resubmit the whole packet. Once resubmitted, everything moved fairly quickly, and lightning fast on the part II approval. After the mid-September completion of the install, submitted for permit review. Resubmitted after discovering the install differed slightly from the plan in terms of where the inverters were, inspection on October 6. Conducted remotely and passed first time. Received a new meter at the beginning of November (again, this got caught up in the rate issue). Then PTO this morning.

Now to submit for the rebates.