Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most recent official supercharger map has a "Coming soon" pin just north and east of the Bethesda pin. Probably the Laurel site previously mentioned. Anyone care to go diving the records for a permit? Lanny, you are excellent at this! And the 2015 map has been updated and doesn't include many superchargers previously thought to be open by the end of the year.

The most recent official supercharger map has a "Coming soon" pin just north and east of the Bethesda pin. Probably the Laurel site previously mentioned. Anyone care to go diving the records for a permit? Lanny, you are excellent at this! And the 2015 map has been updated and doesn't include many superchargers previously thought to be open by the end of the year.

Hopefully a 6 bay if not more.

LOL. Actually I've been trying to find a permit in several possible areas in PG county. It's been difficult because the system needs a specific address for the search. Even when I call, they tell me that I need to give them an address.

My understanding is that Laurel Towne Center is off the table now. A year ago, Savage Mill was in the process of getting a permit and that fell through.

Recently, I've looked in the area of 4050 Powder Mill Rd in Beltsville, MD which is a shopping center just off an exit of I-95 north of the beltway. No sign of construction around there as of last weekend.

Lanny

I hope the PG County location comes with on site security or is next to a police station. There are some pretty scary areas in that county and I would have really hoped the SC site is in a safe area north of 495. I hope the Tesla Supercharger teams liaises with people who live in the area to get some idea about safety before plopping down a S installation.

Based on what I've heard from friends in the DC area, I'd be very weary about taking an exit from 495 into most parts of PG county. Just look at that crime map below. People in Teslas waiting 30+ minutes for a charge in a crime ridden area is not the best idea.

http://spotcrime.com/md/prince+george's+county

LOL. Actually I've been trying to find a permit in several possible areas in PG county. It's been difficult because the system needs a specific address for the search. Even when I call, they tell me that I need to give them an address.

My understanding is that Laurel Towne Center is off the table now. A year ago, Savage Mill was in the process of getting a permit and that fell through.

Recently, I've looked in the area of 4050 Powder Mill Rd in Beltsville, MD which is a shopping center just off an exit of I-95 north of the beltway. No sign of construction around there as of last weekend.

Lanny

- - - Updated - - -

Another possible location would be Arundel Mills. The property is owned by Simon Properties which is a popular location for Superchargers.

++1 for Arundel Mills. Lots of shopping and dining options and it is not in crime-ridden PG County.

Screenshot 2016-10-25 15.14.15.png

Footer Dye Works building in Cumberland, MD. MAP LINK

• Informative
Reactions: Sonny Daze
Yikes! The google street view of that place from 2014c looks pretty rough. Are they restoring/repurposing that old industrial building? Currently, the site does not look like you could walk to near by restaurants without a frogger-like crossing of multilane streets. Maybe someone with more local knowledge of the site could chime in.

Yikes! The google street view of that place from 2014c looks pretty rough. Are they restoring/repurposing that old industrial building? Currently, the site does not look like you could walk to near by restaurants without a frogger-like crossing of multilane streets. Maybe someone with more local knowledge of the site could chime in.

The multilanes you see are mostly elevated. That area of Cumberland is actually quite nice, reasonably accommodating to pedestrians and seems to be on the 'up and coming'.

I have a question...if there was a Fast Charger, not a Super Charger, 2 miles south of Thurmont off of Route 15, open 24/7, with bathroom, and hot and cold water, would anyone show?

Great question. Are you a business owner? I have attached a map of the area on plugshare which shows the relative lack of EV charging (especially DC Fast chargers) in this area. This area would seem like a good location for EV charging especially if it is tied to a business where drivers would want to spend an hour or so such as a restaurant etc. As an EV owner, I do make it a point to seek out businesses that have installed EV charging (preferably complementary such as with Tesla's destination charger program) and have done so at several restaurants and hotels. DC Fast Chargers are more expensive to install so seem to generally be fee based though there are some free ones like at MOM's organic market in Frederick, MD. I personally don't use the pay chargers much since the capacity of the Model S means I can just drive by and charge at my destination or the next Tesla Supercharger.
Thurmont area chargers.jpeg