Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was tested and everything passed. They did the testing with a generator plugged into the main input power feed (where the 13kV -> 480V transformer goes).

Peter

I'm puzzling about how they could have tested the facility without a full electrical hookup. The Rockville Service folks thought it would be ready 17 Jan, and were supplying a car for testing purposes on 16 Jan. Something must have happened that is hanging things up, but I haven't asked what of the Rockville folks. I suppose it will be along "soon."

Blue, If you think you are short on range, drive slow. If you drive 55-60 mph, you might get the rated range.

I ran out of range on my way to Pittsburgh. The dash showed 0 miles left and I still had to go ~7.5 miles to Somerset, PA charger. I was really really nervous, but Model S made it!

Later I read on a blog that Model S has ~17 miles reserve battery. I don't wanna find out for real, but it helps to know! lol!

Blue, If you think you are short on range, drive slow. If you drive 55-60 mph, you might get the rated range.

I ran out of range on my way to Pittsburgh. The dash showed 0 miles left and I still had to go ~7.5 miles to Somerset, PA charger. I was really really nervous, but Model S made it!

Later I read on a blog that Model S has ~17 miles reserve battery. I don't wanna find out for real, but it helps to know! lol!

You are also in the hills of PA, they really eat into your range too. I always plan an additional 20% buffer. Then as I get closer to my destination and see that I'm doing better than planned I speed up.

I have been able to do better than the rated range here in PA on an I-80 to I-81 trip in 30 deg weather, 4 passengers and luggage. I set the cruise 2 mph below the 65 mph speed limit and did 60 in the 55mph zones.

I was driving watching the energy app and could literally watch the hills eat up my battery. I went about 62-63 once I realized I needed to slow down to conserve energy. The fact that it was 10 degrees out didn't help the range much!

Hagerstown is live! Now on the Tesla map and list.

Hagerstown Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Great news! And Bethesda's not too far behind. Just posted on the Bethesda Supercharger thread that the equipment has arrived. It just needs to be hooked up within the next two weeks).http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...er-Bethesda-MD?p=560534&viewfull=1#post560534

newsupercharger.jpg

I was there tonight. One other S was charging. And then an ICE came up and took up one of the spots. Funny thing -- right after i left the car, some guy drove up and must've taken a dozen pics of the car.

That other car may have been me. I was excited to take the Model S skiing at Whitetail and the SC made it that much easier. Unfortunately, I didn't see any other Model S's there when I was there.

I had the ridiculously dirty black MS.

Anyone know if Bethesda is a permanent location? It seems to be placed nicely. It would be a shame if it were removed.

Agreed. My understanding is that this single Supercharger is located at the same mall that a Tesla stores is located. This is a "mini-Supercharger" in comparison to full-fledged Supercharger Stations that have between 4-10 stalls. I believe this will mainly support the Store's test drive operations and as such it may turn out being permanent. I also believe that eventually most stores and service centers will have mini-Supercharger installations more to support their operations than traveling Model S owners.

However, since this location is at a mall with suitable amenities, it wouldn't surprise me if Tesla later adds more stalls at this location or elsewhere in the mall which would make it more suitable for large numbers of traveling Model S owners.

Larry

Last edited:
I live near Montgomery Mall and I'll check out the Supercharger this weekend. It is placed in the area where the Tesla Store had two HPWC units and four or five parking spaces. They used the HPWC units for their test drive vehicles and for any owners that wanted to charge while visiting the Mall.

That was actually where I went for my test drive! I picked the worst weekend for it too, the last weekend before Christmas... Haha. Getting a parking spot in there is a total nightmare (at least when I was there) so a prime parking spot reserved for Tesla's only is really sweet.

Agreed. My understanding is that this single Supercharger is located at the same mall that a Tesla stores is located.

Yes, although the page says it has two bays. There are also two J-1772 chargers at? next to? a bank nearby.

However, since this location is at a mall with suitable amenities, it wouldn't surprise me if Tesla later adds more stalls at this location or elsewhere in the mall which would make it more suitable for large numbers of traveling Model S owners.

I thought we already knew it was supposed to be temporary/had been advertised as temporary by Tesla? I remember reading that here at TMC, anyway. This is perhaps supported by a line of their web page, which sez...

"Expansion Plan
Permanent eight stall site coming soon to Woodbridge, VA"

...although that doesn't say the Bethesda spot's temporary, it implies it.

Yes, although the page says it has two bays. There are also two J-1772 chargers at? next to? a bank nearby.

I thought we already knew it was supposed to be temporary/had been advertised as temporary by Tesla? I remember reading that here at TMC, anyway. This is perhaps supported by a line of their web page, which sez...

"Expansion Plan
Permanent eight stall site coming soon to Woodbridge, VA"

...although that doesn't say the Bethesda spot's temporary, it implies it.

It says the site is temporary on the listing in the car.
Temporary.jpg

It says the site is temporary on the listing in the car.

Thanks for the pic/confirmation. I thought it was temporary from previous discussions, and the phrasing on the web page, but it never occurred to me they would actually make that the phrase they showed in the list. that's a good idea, so anyone going to it via the list in the car knows not to expect it to be in the list forever.

(I'm still curious how often the car checks for updated Supercharger lists; they seem to show up quickly.)

Just stopped by at this location. All spots were taken including two supercharging sites. One black MS appeared to be an owner the other one a test drive car. Two other MS were charging using HPWCs. I would not use this location for trip planning as it is going to be over utilized.