Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope it's there through April as we have a trip planned to DC.

Based on the updates posted here, I'd guess that there's a good chance the Woodbridge, VA site will be up by then. I would also guess that they won't pull the Bethesda site until Woodbridge is complete. That said, I agree with what one of the other posters said--2 stalls located in one of the top tourist destinations in the country, in a place that also has a fairly high (and growing) number of locally owned Model Ss (Esses?) means that it is going to be packed. If you are going to plan to use it, I'd think about doing so well off-hours.

Based on the updates posted here, I'd guess that there's a good chance the Woodbridge, VA site will be up by then. I would also guess that they won't pull the Bethesda site until Woodbridge is complete. That said, I agree with what one of the other posters said--2 stalls located in one of the top tourist destinations in the country, in a place that also has a fairly high (and growing) number of locally owned Model Ss (Esses?) means that it is going to be packed. If you are going to plan to use it, I'd think about doing so well off-hours.

I was planning on a full range charge at Hagerstown. Then using the J1772's while in town. There's also one walking distance from our hotel that I was hoping to use too. It's 4 days in town so we should be fine on just the J1772's as long as we plan most of our stops to park at one, but the SC is nice for that extra confidence.

I was planning on a full range charge at Hagerstown. Then using the J1772's while in town. There's also one walking distance from our hotel that I was hoping to use too. It's 4 days in town so we should be fine on just the J1772's as long as we plan most of our stops to park at one, but the SC is nice for that extra confidence.

If you are visiting DC, I would suggest you take public transport for any downtown stuff you might want to do. traffic can be a pain, as can parking (and expensive). The metro is pretty convenient and fast. If you are staying in the outlying area then just charging where you can when you can should combat any driving you do (especially any overnight charging).

If you are visiting DC, I would suggest you take public transport for any downtown stuff you might want to do. traffic can be a pain, as can parking (and expensive). The metro is pretty convenient and fast. If you are staying in the outlying area then just charging where you can when you can should combat any driving you do (especially any overnight charging).

Awesome, thanks for the tip. We usually try to take mass transit in the big cities. Do you know if the metro has a multi day pass? We did that when we went to Chicago last year and it was awesome!

Here's a pic of the Bethesda (Montgomery Mall) superchargers. There is one supercharger, so there are two bays.
IMG_0412.jpg

At Hagerstown. The outlet security cop told us we were trespassing and had to leave because it is the middle of the night and we can't charge our car at night.

I told him we were not trespassing and we were not moving. He asked how long we would be, I told him 30 minutes and he said he would give us 30 minutes.

Also the parking lines don't line up right with the charging stations correctly and we had to straddle the lines to get the cable to reach.

At Hagerstown. The outlet security cop told us we were trespassing and had to leave because it is the middle of the night and we can't charge our car at night.

I told him we were not trespassing and we were not moving. He asked how long we would be, I told him 30 minutes and he said he would give us 30 minutes.

Also the parking lines don't line up right with the charging stations correctly and we had to straddle the lines to get the cable to reach.

I would have thought Tesla would have worked this out with the mall. I agree this is something Tesla needs to know about

When did this happen? (I had something similar happen and had talked to Tesla, and thought it would be fixed by now).

I think this is an issue (mall cops aside) Tesla needs to address. Many of the Superchargers are in locations without 24 hour services. This makes an overnight road trip more challenging when the place you're stopping for an hour has no bathroom or other services open.

On a separate note, I have noticed a serious lack of sidewalks in several of the east coast superchargers. Glen Allen, Rocky Mount, Lumberton all have the supercharger at a strip mall with a fair amount of other businesses located across the street but no sidewalks, crosswalks etc. I would prefer not to play frogger when trying to select where I will spend an hour waiting for a charge.

On a separate note, I have noticed a serious lack of sidewalks in several of the east coast superchargers. Glen Allen, Rocky Mount, Lumberton all have the supercharger at a strip mall with a fair amount of other businesses located across the street but no sidewalks, crosswalks etc. I would prefer not to play frogger when trying to select where I will spend an hour waiting for a charge.
Having crossed US-1 on foot while charging at Glen Allen, it definitely is not a crossing I'd recommend for those with small children, slow of foot or otherwise unable to play human Frogger as there are absolutely no pedestrian accommodations at the nearby intersections.

I think this is an issue (mall cops aside) Tesla needs to address. Many of the Superchargers are in locations without 24 hour services. This makes an overnight road trip more challenging when the place you're stopping for an hour has no bathroom or other services open.
If superchargers were placed only where there are 24 hour services available, that would severely limit the location choices, and probably be places we wouldn't want to spend an hour during the day. You can always stop somewhere else to use the bathroom.