Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland - Support EVSE Rebates & EV Tax Credits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Lanny,

I wish I had known sooner. Jessica was in Annapolis that day on behalf of Climate XChange, to support carbon pricing legislation by signing up co-sponsors for the bill. I would have asked her to stop by the hearing to testify.

People from CXC are going to be in Annapolis (at least) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week as well and other days after that; so please let me know if there are other opportunities coming up.

Thanks,
Alan

@Lanny,

Thanks for the URL - nicely organized - very helpful!

Sorry Jessica couldn't make it to the hearing last week -- she got tied up at the previous meeting/luncheon.

Jessica plans to be back in Annapolis Tue 2/26, Wed 2/27 and Thu 2/28. If there are other possible hearings you'd like her to pay attention to, please let me know. Or individual legislators.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. For (big!) bonus points, at least with the MD bills, maybe you could add your pros/cons or talking points about what is good/bad in the bills. Reading the bills is a challenging exercise, given how they are marked up. Even the summary analysis provided with each bill can be challenging.

Since this didn't pass in 2018, they are trying again with a bill to take care of people who didn't get the Maryland EV tax credit because of the funding gap.

Maryland HB 72 is sponsored by Delegate Korman.

The 2019 Maryland bill to retroactively address the funding gap for the people who purchased in the interim between when the FY 2017 funds ran out and the start of FY 2018 has failed.

• Informative
Reactions: Thinkje
@Lanny,

P.S. For (big!) bonus points, at least with the MD bills, maybe you could add your pros/cons or talking points about what is good/bad in the bills. Reading the bills is a challenging exercise, given how they are marked up. Even the summary analysis provided with each bill can be challenging.

@Pollux - Thanks Allan for the suggestion to include a pros & cons summary for each bill. That may happen next year as this session is almost over. I've just updated the EV Bill Tracker with an interactive table that shows the current status of the bills as the MDGA approaches sine die on April 8. Some EV bills have passed their originating chamber and have hearings in the cross-over chamber next week.

Electric Vehicle Legislation Tracker – 2019 | PlugInSites

Lanny

Love the tracker.

Thanks for the effort you put into it!

Alan

P.S. One point of confusion for me: Clean Cars Act of 2019 shows up in multiple places, listed against multiple bills. One of which (HB1246, DFH, EV Tax Credit) is still actively making progress while the others appear to be inactive. Since I don't really understand how the legislation is organized and shepherded, I don't understand how Clean Cars Act of 2019 relates to this set of bills. Thanks.

To update anyone watching this thread about this rebate, I just got a reply back from the MEA after submitting my application.

They are adding applications to a wait list for funding, and applications will be funded in the order they are received. To date, there is $190K worth of waitlisted applications in the queue, which is well below the program cap of $1.2 million. If you haven't submitted your application yet, do so as soon as possible to enter the queue!

Posted this in the Model 3 forum earlier, but I noticed some people in this thread were following action on the Clean Cars Act. Some good news on this, today Larry Hogan signed the Clean Cars Act of 2019 into law this morning Maryland Gov. Hogan to sign bill reforming university regents after death of Terps football player

This expands the tax credit from $3 million total to $6 million for FY 2020 (beginning in July 2019).

The program was in sore need of this credit. It previously ran out in November 2018 after just 4 months; and if the MVA is keeping a waitlist of applications, they may have already passed $3 million worth of waitlisted applications.

I'm having trouble finding monthly statistics on EV registrations, but given the difference between this article which pulled numbers as of February, and the dataset as of March, it looks like 363 EVs and 113 hybrid vehicles were registered statewide in March alone. If that rate was constant for the 5 months of registrations since the program ran out of money, that would mean 1,815 EVs and 565 hybrids. Assuming each EV gets an average credit of $2,000 and each hybrid gets an average credit of $1,000, we're already up to $4.2 million of the new $6 million cap accounted for!

• Love
Reactions: Pollux and vadims1
Wrote an email to the MVA for clarification, got a reply back in the affirmative:

"Yes, we do have an ongoing list and we refund applicants on a first come first serve basis as we work down the list. Once funds run out the applicants that have not been processed stay on the list for the next fiscal year. Thank you for your inquiry."

• Informative
Reactions: vadims1