Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mashing the accelerator, a lot...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to search for this, but didn't really find anything. I basically would like to know how much is too much when it comes to jamming the accelerator??

I picked up my M3 on Monday and immediately bought the boost. I haven't really driven all that much, but whenever I have driven it I'm just addicted to flooring the thing. It seems most pleasurable when jamming it around 20 to 30(ish)mph, but still extremely fun from a stop. I really missed that feeling I had in my S7 knowing I can overtake nearly every single car on the road. I have a need for speed that is sometimes insatiable.

So would I have to do this a LOT in order to damage the batteries?? I will have to cut it way down if it can really cause damage - that's all I'm wondering right now.

Just enjoy. It's not going to break anything.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
You can get a ticket for aggressive acceleration. Depends on the state on what they call it. Speed racing, even not exceeding the speed limit or against another car, exhibitionist driving, etc. A friend got a ticket on an on ramp for accelerating rapidly to the posted limit.
The good part about an electric vehicle vs. and ICE vehicle is you don't make a bunch of noise doing so, so less of a chance a cop will hear you a mile away.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and lUtriaNt
I have a LR RWD. I rotated tires once at 10k miles. At 20K+ the wear is equal with sedate small town driving. I may not rotate again. Trend is toward 35-40 k mile life. I find fewer and fewer takers for stop light drags. The word has gotten around. That being said, never let a stop light/sign go to waste to goose it a little. Half-pedal is enough.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn
Mine is a stealth P3D, OEM tires...well..I left them on a few miles too long (like...probably 5k too long...) and replaced them at ~30k miles, rears were nearly bald and fronts still had significant life. I did not rotate, my fault for not paying attention to wear. I'm paying attention now, rotated after ~8k on current set of tires (Nitto Motivos). I'm going to watch for front and rears to even out (rears were already showing more wear than fronts) and rotate again. I hope I can legitimately get 35k out of these tires. Heavy car + super high torque + heavy foot = rear tires wearing quick! Totally worth it for the jump to hyperspace from every stoplight at which I'm first in line! :D

Reactions: Arctic_White
I live in Sacramento and I feel like I am the only one that doesn't drive my Tesla like a Prius albeit I do own a P3D-. I am regularly mashing the pedal whenever I catch a red at a stop light or see an open gap in traffic. I don't drive like a complete asshole aka cutting people off, but I do regularly exceed, sometimes double the speed limit on city streets. I came from an ICE car and I thought I would miss the "vroom vroom" sounds but now I absolutely love the stealth factor since the car doesn't draw any attention from the popo.

I live in Sacramento and I feel like I am the only one that doesn't drive my Tesla like a Prius albeit I do own a P3D-. I am regularly mashing the pedal whenever I catch a red at a stop light or see an open gap in traffic. I don't drive like a complete asshole aka cutting people off, but I do regularly exceed, sometimes double the speed limit on city streets. I came from an ICE car and I thought I would miss the "vroom vroom" sounds but now I absolutely love the stealth factor since the car doesn't draw any attention from the popo.
Sac P3D owner-that-doesn’t-drive-it-like-a-Prius-owner here. :D

• Love
Reactions: Sukhshanti
I really missed that feeling I had in my S7 knowing I can overtake nearly every single car on the road.

So how does the Model 3 compare?

I'm paying attention now, rotated after ~8k on current set of tires (Nitto Motivos). I'm going to watch for front and rears to even out (rears were already showing more wear than fronts) and rotate again. I hope I can legitimately get 35k out of these tires. Heavy car + super high torque + heavy foot = rear tires wearing quick! Totally worth it for the jump to hyperspace from every stoplight at which I'm first in line! :D

How are you liking the Nittos? I need new shoes.

I don't think your battery will be damaged unless you constantly Supercharge to 100%. More like your tires and maybe your brakes (if you have to suddenly stop a lot).

You'll eventually tire of the right pedal smashing.... :)
Yep on the wear and tear, including parts of the suspension

Nothing particularly EV related, just a LOT of torque on the moving parts