Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mason mother of 5 dead in Clermont County crash (Model Y crash)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PS: Those EV sales in Norway are subsidized by the government, and the government gets the money to subsidize EV's by selling massive amounts of fossil fuel to the rest of Europe. I don't want the US to follow Norway's path to EV dominance...
Money has to come from somewhere either people (Tax) or selling something that we have (i.e. energy). There is no other alternative that do not impact either way. It is all balancing act, such as more ICE cars = more CO2 emission, more EVs = more battery waste and electricity generation/distribution issues.

To put some numbers on this... According to Car and Driver, a gas engine is around 30-35% efficient... Tesla told Car and Driver that the motors in the Model S is 90% efficient, and is able to hit 94% efficiency during EPA test cycle.
High efficiency sounds good and all, but you have to remember that high efficiency means EV's are very sensitive to weather, driving condition/habit, and many other factors that do not really impact ICE vehicle performance as much.

So the article states at the very end, tesla's have 1 fire for every 205 Million vehicle miles traveled. That statistic doesn't mean anything to the average person.

So looking at the tesla report they referenced, it also states ICE vehicles have a fire every 19 Million vehicle miles traveled.

In the end, the internet is a safe space of confirmation biases, a quick google search can confirm anything. (Yes i said that also realizing I'm in a tesla forum..)

Reactions: Atari2600
So the article states at the very end, tesla's have 1 fire for every 205 Million vehicle miles traveled. That statistic doesn't mean anything to the average person.

So looking at the tesla report they referenced, it also states ICE vehicles have a fire every 19 Million vehicle miles traveled.

In the end, the internet is a safe space of confirmation biases, a quick google search can confirm anything. (Yes i said that also realizing I'm in a tesla forum..)
If that info is true 11 times more fires which I assume need water to put out, just not as much on a per car basis. This offsets the electric car fires needing more water a bit.

There are clearly a lot of facts missing from this story. It would appear that the vehicle was traveling above the speed limit based on the damage to the tree shown in the picture. Electric vehicles have an immense amount of energy stored in the battery. Similarly ICE vehicles have energy stored in their fuel tanks. There is always a chance that energy could be released in an uncontrolled manner with either vehicle. I would argue less of a chance with an EV…much less.

The problem here is it is new technology and most people fear it because they do not understand it. I’m no expert but I don’t think water is the most effective way to extinguish a battery fire. It is a case of using the wrong tool for the job that may very well have been the only tool they had available.

To their credit they did quote the Tesla website at the end of the article which give some perspective on the likelihood of EV fires. I have long said that EV should have some kind of thermal alarm to notify those near the vehicle it is at risk of combustion. This would go a long way to ease the concerns of consumers over EV fires. The main issue is that folks are used to smelling gas or seeing something leaking from an ice before a fire. EV fires while very rare compared to ice can happen very very quickly and with little warning of a problem. In this case there was a severe accident though which would put anyone on alert of a possible fire ice or EV.
Water is used to cool the battery cells because heat is the main cause of a Tesla battery fire continuing.. Internal combustion vehicles have a way higher rate of fires than EVs. I certainly hope every Tesla vehicle occupant knows how to use the manual door release in case of an emergency.

Water is used to cool the battery cells because heat is the main cause of a Tesla battery fire continuing.. Internal combustion vehicles have a way higher rate of fires than EVs. I certainly hope every Tesla vehicle occupant knows how to use the manual door release in case of an emergency.
Yup.

I really don't like the rear door manual release not being available without modification to the system... seems like they figure the driver can keep front seat passengers from using the manual release, but the rear passengers are less under driver observation / control and would be likely to use the manual release (if there was one)... so they didn't give us one!

Keith

Shyt happens. Accidents everywhere lol
This is no laughing matter. Terrible that it happened and that there was a loss of life, whatever the reason.

Let's please be more sensitive and caring, especially in situations like this.

I do encourage Tesla to find ways to help prevent or greatly reduce the chance of fire for their vehicles. There are fire suppressing materials out there that they might be able to include.

[Insert Carebear meme here]

This is no laughing matter. Terrible that it happened and that there was a loss of life, whatever the reason.

Let's please be more sensitive and caring, especially in situations like this.

I do encourage Tesla to find ways to help prevent or greatly reduce the chance of fire for their vehicles. There are fire suppressing materials out there that they might be able to include.

There is a manual release. See under the rear door pocket cover and lid. I saw a thread where people were adding a loop using a ziptie.

Yup.

I really don't like the rear door manual release not being available without modification to the system... seems like they figure the driver can keep front seat passengers from using the manual release, but the rear passengers are less under driver observation / control and would be likely to use the manual release (if there was one)... so they didn't give us one!

Keith

There is a manual release. See under the rear door pocket cover and lid. I saw a thread where people were adding a loop using a ziptie.
You bolded and italicized one section of my post, but missed the line above it where I said the rear door manual release was available if you modified the system. I didn't specify how (pop open the door pocket bottom cover and add a loop by zip tie it to the cable) but that is what I was referring to when I said we had to modify the system to make it functional. I think it should be available for emergency use, in an obvious place without having to modify the system to make it useable.

Keith

You bolded and italicized one section of my post, but missed the line above it where I said the rear door manual release was available if you modified the system. I didn't specify how (pop open the door pocket bottom cover and add a loop by zip tie it to the cable) but that is what I was referring to when I said we had to modify the system to make it functional. I think it should be available for emergency use, in an obvious place without having to modify the system to make it useable.

Keith
I agree, I'm not sure why they didn't do something like the MS/X that has some sort of pull that is under the rear seat cushion that you can apparently pull out a little bit so it's right there in an emergency. Although I guess if you hit something hard enough to pop the pyro fuse that disables the electrical system, the doors may be too damaged to open anyway.