Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mass EV vs. Mass ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious. So as more and more people adopt EVs in Norway, do you think they would raise taxes somewhere else to make up for the lost revenue from fuel taxes? Sorry, I'm American and I can't help but think that way. It's the way of life here!

Well, we do have taxes on electricity also, but they just can't make up for all of the fuel-taxes on this alone. But I understand that the fuel-taxes in the US is some sort of "road-tax" to pay for the roads? That is not how it works here. Here the roads (in principle) is paid over the normal taxes, and again over an yearly car-tax (from witch EV's are more or less excepted), and again with toll-roads (from witch EV's are still excepted). But some of the fuel-taxes is meant to compensate the health expenditure that the traffic causes. And that is expected to get lower as more cars is emission-free.

So no, I do not know about any plans to compensate for the lost revenue from fuel taxes. But is there anything that politicians are skilled at, it's finding new ways to fleece people for their money ;)

I'm confused... Where is this 'cheap gas' that people keep mentioning...?
Workspace 1_034.png

Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update - Energy Information Administration

McRat noted, "That's what always puzzles me. Gas in cheaper in the UK than Norway. Yet Norway is one of the larger exporters of petroleum."

Heh. It astounds me that there are a couple of oil refineries near my house, one I might be able to see if I stood on my roof... They actually MAKE gasoline here. And, they pump the black stuff out of the ground here, and offshore as well... When I was a kid, much of this area was filled with cow pastures, orange groves, and oil derricks. But people who live in the Midwest, quite a way from here, pay significantly less per gallon. And, there is a similar difference in pricing for those on the Gulf Coast as compared to California, who supposedly get their petroleum byproducts from offshore drilling rigs. Is it really all about the 'Weather Tax'...?

I'm confused... Where is this 'cheap gas' that people keep mentioning..

McRat noted, "That's what always puzzles me. Gas in cheaper in the UK than Norway. Yet Norway is one of the larger exporters of petroleum."

Heh. It astounds me that there are a couple of oil refineries near my house, one I might be able to see if I stood on my roof... They actually MAKE gasoline here. And, they pump the black stuff out of the ground here, and offshore as well... When I was a kid, much of this area was filled with cow pastures, orange groves, and oil derricks. But people who live in the Midwest, quite a way from here, pay significantly less per gallon. And, there is a similar difference in pricing for those on the Gulf Coast as compared to California, who supposedly get their petroleum byproducts from offshore drilling rigs. Is it really all about the 'Weather Tax'...?
"Fuel experts and consumer advocates also told the Petroleum Market Advisory Committee that a high state gas tax and more rigorous regulations have kept prices relatively high as oil prices have plunged across the nation in recent months.
Drivers in California pay more partly because of stiffer fuel blend standards to meet the state’s unique air-quality rules, speakers said at the hearing."
Sounds like a rerun of the Enron scam.

Sounds like a rerun of the Enron scam.
Oh, there are so many scams that affect California... Before ENRON, there was basically no need to draw from the National Grid here at all -- and many of the power plants that were shuttered for 'maintenance' back then, causing the rolling blackouts, remain closed. The Colorado River Aqueduct, delivering water to the Los Angeles area from another State, when we are sitting next to an ocean -- and the water desalinization process that is used throughout the Middle East was invented here. The closure of the Red Car after a consortium of automobile manufacturers, rubber manufacturers, and oil companies bought the train system -- and dismantled what was once hailed as the best public transit system in the world to make way for freeways instead.