Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mass Pike getting new EV charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MOR-EV response was, essentially, "it's too hard to figure out the buyer's income, we'd need access to their tax data, and we're not part of the Department of Revenue". To which I would respond, "OMG! So go figure out how to solve this problem!".

And really, that's just lazy on their part. If YOU (the EV buyer) want the rebate, you can voluntarily provide your 1040. If you don't want the rebate, you don't volunteer your tax info. The burden of proof (of, in this case, income) should be borne by the consumer applying for the rebate in the first place.

And really, that's just lazy on their part. If YOU (the EV buyer) want the rebate, you can voluntarily provide your 1040. If you don't want the rebate, you don't volunteer your tax info. The burden of proof (of, in this case, income) should be borne by the consumer applying for the rebate in the first place.

I'm pretty sure you spent less than 5 minutes figuring out this first-order, seemingly-reasonable solution. Imagine if it were your JOB to spend, say, the next two weeks devising a plan to take purchaser income into account, verify the purchaser's claim via tax return or some other method, work out agreement(s) with your counterpart(s) at the Department of Revenue, so on and so forth. I'm thinking you'd come up with something reasonable and workable that would stand the test of time. But hey, that's just me thinking you'd put a little effort into it. I think the MOR-EV attitude was, "we can't figure this out right here right now at this community meeting, and we're just a little program, and we're all so terribly busy..."

Alan

P.S. Please recognize that I'm painting with a very broad brush, and I recognize that there were EV / Tesla community representatives who were trying to do the right thing and were outnumbered/outflanked by other points of view... an unholy alliance of ICE vehicle dealerships and our "friends" in the "real environmentalist" community.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I'm pretty sure you spent less than 5 minutes figuring out this first-order, seemingly-reasonable solution. Imagine if it were your JOB to spend, say, the next two weeks devising a plan to take purchaser income into account, verify the purchaser's claim via tax return or some other method, work out agreement(s) with your counterpart(s) at the Department of Revenue, so on and so forth. I'm thinking you'd come up with something reasonable and workable that would stand the test of time. But hey, that's just me thinking you'd put a little effort into it. I think the MOR-EV attitude was, "we can't figure this out right here right now at this community meeting, and we're just a little program, and we're all so terribly busy..."

Alan

P.S. Please recognize that I'm painting with a very broad brush, and I recognize that there were EV / Tesla community representatives who were trying to do the right thing and were outnumbered/outflanked by other points of view... an unholy alliance of ICE vehicle dealerships and our "friends" in the "real environmentalist" community.

I had been in the military for 12 years, got out 9 years ago and held down jobs in the private sector.

I recently began working as a civilian for a government entity a few months ago, and my mind is blown by the amount of bureaucracy and red tape involved in seemingly mundane and simple decisions.

@3mp_kwh - I think I have to stop myself for a moment. One problem for me is that it's too easy for me to fall into a mode of thinking I might know the answer ...... I don't know how battery technology and charging curves are most likely to play out; I don't know enough about consumer buying patterns; I don't know how other automobile companies might finally respond; etc. What I *really* want to do is open up the playing field as much as possible for (1) capitalism to fully engage and (2) to allow public-sector responses as well. Capitalism is my friend.(*) It will drive many different solutions than I would ever think of by myself. Musk didn't start a charity or an NGO or a c3 nonprofit; he started a business. And for that business, the absolute right answer was to take ownership of the end-to-end charging problem and build out their own charging network **with great urgency** and funded out of their own cash flow.

Notwithstanding unreliable 50kw chargers, I think capitalism works differently here perhaps at $2 gas, than it does at $4/gallon. Either way, there is money and time to be saved by doing the 365 day per year math, rather than focusing on 45 minute waits as if they should be a deal-breaker. It's a tough call, and not what I expect people paying >50k for their cars will want to do. IF Porsche and VW spent a portion of their 2bb fine on 800v compatible (what, level 4?) charging, we could see another leg in all of this, but I'm not holding my breath for a genuine Tesla competitor within 5 years. The 50kw chargers going in on the Pike will feed growth that perhaps only higher gas prices, and/or "free cars" might accelerate.

Think of the CARB state 2% of all sales ZEV-mandate, coming up in 2018. That's a ZEV MOU target, as I understand it (includes MA), and at some point it cannot be back-filled by, say, over-sales in CA. Ford, GM, Nissan have to climb to 2% of MA sales as ZEVs. Our state is 95% non-alternative, the last I heard. Even hybrids are in that last 5%, and with gas ~$2 I'm not seeing how anything other than bigger MOR-EV rebates, or big concessions from the OEMs can achieve that. I'm getting "$8,000 off" flyers for the new Volt, already. I don't know how the ZEV rules bend, but have to conclude the OEMs can smell the coffee of low demand. Frankly, I think Tesla can spot the low demand for the others appliances, too. If they can make 500k Model 3's by 2018, it is that many credits they'll be selling to the others who fail. To be on-topic, a successful car, with a 100kw uptake, may be what capitalism ultimately tells us about these 50kw highway chargers. They may mostly end up seeing Model 3 over-flow :).

Last edited:
I had been in the military for 12 years, got out 9 years ago and held down jobs in the private sector.

I recently began working as a civilian for a government entity a few months ago, and my mind is blown by the amount of bureaucracy and red tape involved in seemingly mundane and simple decisions.

True. And sad. But I still think that those bureaucrats ostensibly working for me should be investing THEIR energy in figuring out how to implement a scheme that reconciles progress values (we'll provide less and ultimately zero incentives to people who have greater and greater incomes) with enabling the further spread of electrified transport (the MA state EV rebate).

Alan

Notwithstanding unreliable 50kw chargers, I think capitalism works differently here perhaps at $2 gas, than it does at $4/gallon. Either way, there is money and time to be saved by doing the 365 day per year math, rather than focusing on 45 minute waits as if they should be a deal-breaker. It's a tough call, and not what I expect people paying >50k for their cars will want to do. IF Porsche and VW spent a portion of their 2bb fine on 800v compatible (what, level 4?) charging, we could see another leg in all of this, but I'm not holding my breath for a genuine Tesla competitor within 5 years. The 50kw chargers going in on the Pike will feed growth that perhaps only higher gas prices, and/or "free cars" might accelerate.

Think of the CARB state 2% of all sales ZEV-mandate, coming up in 2018. That's a ZEV MOU target, as I understand it (includes MA), and at some point it cannot be back-filled by, say, over-sales in CA. Ford, GM, Nissan have to climb to 2% of MA sales as ZEVs. Our state is 95% non-alternative, the last I heard. Even hybrids are in that last 5%, and with gas ~$2 I'm not seeing how anything other than bigger MOR-EV rebates, or big concessions from the OEMs can achieve that. I'm getting "$8,000 off" flyers for the new Volt, already. I don't know how the ZEV rules bend, but have to conclude the OEMs can smell the coffee of low demand. Frankly, I think Tesla can spot the low demand for the others appliances, too. If they can make 500k Model 3's by 2018, it is that many credits they'll be selling to the others who fail. To be on-topic, a successful car, with a 100kw uptake, may be what capitalism ultimately tells us about these 50kw highway chargers. They may mostly end up seeing Model 3 over-flow :).

Which is why I originally took a different position.

Now I say, along with that great capitalist, Deng, inspired by Mao, "let a thousand EV charging flowers bloom".

Oh, and I say, "price that goddamned carbon!"

Alan

P.S. Porsche? 800v? I mean yeah ok i'd LOVE for them to start showing some leadership instead of some truly inspiring delaymanship, but I certainly won't believe anything about a charging network inspired by *THEM* until and unless it's actually implemented and available. And they'll never have the unit sales numbers to convince themselves to do such a thing... they'll whine about it being someone else's responsibility... not enough demand.... too hard... too expensive... They had a chance to capture me as a customer back in 2012/2013 and couldn't be bothered to pay any attention to me... And the positive mindshare they've occupied in my head has vanished, to be replaced by thoughts of their participation in Dieselgate. I wonder how a Rimac Concept One stacks up against a Porsche 918 not only for straight-line acceleration but also for handling... I mean, if one is going to shop in the $800K-$1M range, shouldn't one at least comparison shop? :)

Any updates? I travel frequently from NJ up to Mass to visit family. Would be nice to charge while having a meal at the service areas instead of going out of the way to go to Auburn even if not a supercharger.

Why don't you stop at the West Hartford supercharger? The food (and shopping) options are better there than any of the Pike rest areas, and you pass right by it on 84. It's a slight detour from 91, but still much faster than any 50 kW rest area charger would be.

Any updates? I travel frequently from NJ up to Mass to visit family. Would be nice to charge while having a meal at the service areas instead of going out of the way to go to Auburn even if not a supercharger.

Framingham westbound, Natick eastbound, Charlton eastbound and westbound, Blandford westbound and Lee eastbound were all supposed to be operational by the end of this year.

Thanks will try. Going to North Reading for Christmas. Tired of Auburn mall and its food court. The Dunkin Donuts is good for quick stop and just down the road.

Just a note- the Marriott in Burlington where we usually stay for the free charging is not free anymore. Not a big deal for me. Still worth it to be charged up fully when heading back to Jersey. We usually stop in Milford for a charge and pit stop.

I was at the Charlton east bound service area on Feb 2nd.
I talked to a Mass Pike tow truck operator that was there.
My questioning him was the first time he had heard anything about chargers at the service areas.
He assured me that there were none at the 4 areas that he was responsible for.