Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mass Pike getting new EV charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used that one a couple times too, never seen anyone at it... weird location behind a building, but panera is right there...

Yeah, but handy for some less-travelled routes. I've seen other people there a couple of times.

Thing is... that's probably the TYPICAL Supercharger experience. Light use. It's only in CA and at a couple of places on the East Coast (Darien, CT say or Newark, DE) that you see a bunch of vehicles. One hopes that prior to M3 release Tesla will finally update the nav software to include feedback on site utilization, which could easily alleviate most congestion... on the I-95 corridor alone, for example, there are a top of SC options in NJ and CT.

On a recent trip down to DC and back, we were surprised how many other Teslas we saw at the Superchargers. The last time we made the trip about 6 months ago, most of the time we were the only ones charging, this time there were generally 2 or 3 others.

I'm not sure what's going to happen once the Model 3 comes out, along with all the S and X cars they're producing. Then there are the Service Centers, but that's another thread....

Reactions: David29
On a recent trip down to DC and back, we were surprised how many other Teslas we saw at the Superchargers. The last time we made the trip about 6 months ago, most of the time we were the only ones charging, this time there were generally 2 or 3 others.

I'm not sure what's going to happen once the Model 3 comes out, along with all the S and X cars they're producing. Then there are the Service Centers, but that's another thread....

Hi, @RDoc,

When was your trip?

I definitely see different patterns for, say, Thanksgiving.

Alan

I agree. We made a trip to Washington DC in late September. There were plenty of Teslas at the Supercharger in West Hartford on one of our stops there, and fewer at the other (we stopped there both going and coming). Also a good crowd at Newark, DE. Not so many at Cranbury, NJ, and hardly any at the then-new Supercharger in Laurel, MD. We stopped at the "temporary" Supercharger in the Bethesda-Montgomery Mall on one of the last days they were open (before Laurel opened), and were lucky to get a spot at one of the two stalls. Oh, and we stopped at JFK Airport when we made a side trip to Queens -- that was crowded but we got a slot.

I've made the trip to DC twice this year and I am rarely the only person Supercharging. At Newark, DE there are at least 2 or three other cars there. Even at New Brunswick there is usually one other Tesla there. I haven't checked out Laurel yet as it seems a little out of the way and I can charge at my destination.

Speak of the devil: this morning I received a PlugShare alert about a new EVgo CCS/CHAdeMO charger at the Natick service plaza. Screen says "Coming Soon". I may check it out on the way home from work today.

Eastbound Natick Rest Area (Coming Soon) | Natick, MA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

A CCS and CHAdeMO DCFC Fast charger is located in the parking spaces in front of the service plaza near the Gulf Express Convenience Store. Provided by MassPike.

197439.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and EdA
The only downside is how close to the door this is located. It's going to get ICE'd all the time.

At least at Concord the SCs are in the back, far away from more convenient parking spaces.

I'd also prefer it located at Charlton Plaza.

Dropped by Natick Plaza today for a closer look at this station (which still has the "coming soon" sign taped to the front).

The station is actually located at the last 2-3 spaces in the front area of the plaza, so the likelihood of those spaces getting ICE'd is less than if they were located directly in front of the convenience store. That said, although the spaces are clearly marked as "EV" (see pictures below), they are not marked "EV Only" so I suspect they will end up being ICE'd with regularity.

20170518_171021.jpg
20170518_171038.jpg
20170518_171047.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux