Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mass Save Connected Solutions Incentive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also noticed a difference in charging the powerwall this am. I have my system set to self powered with 85% reserve and usually the powerwalls charge only with excess solar vs usage. This morning the powerwalls started charging at the solar generation rate, ignoring the household usage, like when the system is in backup only mode.
This matches what I have seen, you can predict the events by seeing the charging behavior.
Odd that they do not use the VPP branding, not sure if that is an Eversource vs Ngrid thing or just when you enrolled or something.

So today was another connectedsolutions event like I thought it would be. This time taking 30kWh in about 3 hours.
F477397E-6ED2-4F8A-B9A5-207EFD0A5AC3.png

You can download the ISO-NE app or check out the newly redesigned home page at iso-ne.com and use them to get a pretty good estimate of discharge events. Projected summer peak demand of ~22,000 MW or more pretty much guarantees a discharge event.

It's not like Tesla/Eversource/Liberty are coming up with any of these grid projections on their own. ISO-NE has been doing this for decades and has all the data and models to make pretty much spot-on demand projections. Telsa/Eversource/Liberty are just following that lead.

I had a discharge event (Liberty Utilities) today. Their normal pattern is a total of 3 hours - 1 hour at 50% output for the hour before the peak hour (2 batteries, so 5kW), one hour at 100% for the predicted peak hour (10 kW), then 50% for the third hour until the battery hits 20%.

Today was odd - not that hot, cloudy, and the 3 hour discharge started unusually early at 1pm. So I looked at the ISO-NE app. Today's predicted peak demand was 19,500MW for the hour ending 3pm (they will show "HE 15" in the app). Tomorrow they predict 15,000MW, hour ending at 12pm and, for Saturday, 12,750 for hour ending 7pm.

So they nailed the peak hour today. If July is unusually cool, this could be the peak day of the month, so it makes sense to try to hit it, even if it wasn't a very high demand day. I'm curious if anyone in Eversource-land saw similar discharges.

Tesla and Connected Solutions nearly screwed me last weekend because they didn't declare a Storm Watch event because of the winds from Elsa.

On Thursday July 8th we had an event from 4-6PM that dropped our Powerwalls to 20%. This was while we were getting rain from the remnants of Hurricane Elsa, with 50+ mph winds forecast for Friday. We were generating very little solar power and Tesla didn't declare a Storm Watch event, since the NWS only had a flood alert for our area. This left our PWs at 20% as the winds came in on Friday, since without a Storm Watch event it won't charge from the grid. We live in a localized area with many grid outages due to downed trees, and on Friday afternoon areas within half a mile of us lost power for several hours. Thankfully we didn't lose power, because by the time the rain ended Friday evening we were still only at 23% on the PWs.

(FWIW, I keep the PWs on 100% backup, except for the power exported by Connected Solutions)

Had they declared a Storm Watch event this wouldn't have even bothered me. So I'm basically taking the $$ from Connected Solutions in exchange for the possibility of not being able to handle outages.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210712-133159_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210712-133159_Tesla.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 36
Tesla and Connected Solutions nearly screwed me last weekend because they didn't declare a Storm Watch event because of the winds from Elsa.

On Thursday July 8th we had an event from 4-6PM that dropped our Powerwalls to 20%. This was while we were getting rain from the remnants of Hurricane Elsa, with 50+ mph winds forecast for Friday. We were generating very little solar power and Tesla didn't declare a Storm Watch event, since the NWS only had a flood alert for our area. This left our PWs at 20% as the winds came in on Friday, since without a Storm Watch event it won't charge from the grid. We live in a localized area with many grid outages due to downed trees, and on Friday afternoon areas within half a mile of us lost power for several hours. Thankfully we didn't lose power, because by the time the rain ended Friday evening we were still only at 23% on the PWs.

(FWIW, I keep the PWs on 100% backup, except for the power exported by Connected Solutions)

Had they declared a Storm Watch event this wouldn't have even bothered me. So I'm basically taking the $$ from Connected Solutions in exchange for the possibility of not being able to handle outages.
We saw something similar, not ideal, but they only promise to not call events during winter storms (not during summer storms) so like you flagged this is really only on Tesla's side to resolve via Storm Watch.

I did notice it seems like they are trying to bail out of the winter payments - the new guidelines say that the winter payment is not guaranteed for 5yrs anymore. Still no word from Tesla on winter payments. Not sure if they are bailing on it or just being slow or what.

We saw something similar, not ideal, but they only promise to not call events during winter storms (not during summer storms) so like you flagged this is really only on Tesla's side to resolve via Storm Watch.

I did notice it seems like they are trying to bail out of the winter payments - the new guidelines say that the winter payment is not guaranteed for 5yrs anymore. Still no word from Tesla on winter payments. Not sure if they are bailing on it or just being slow or what.
Even the NG website doesn't list the incentive rate for Winter anymore (although they do list the number of anticipated events). While I'm not too concerned about the Winter payments, (given the low number of events and $/kW), this makes me a little uncomfortable about potential arbitrary changes/reduction in Summer rates without any communication.

Another 3 hour 30kWh event today. I have my system set as self powered with 85% reserve but yesterday my system stayed at 100% charged. Seems they changed their behavior to keep a full battery leading in to an event, rather than letting self powered work. Still not showing virtual power plant stuff.
92A35AEE-E650-4884-9849-3A5058BEAD66.png
77BA8040-9D30-4315-82BB-D4E60EE1AC2A.png

Reactions: Tdreamer
I've seen some very strange behavior - I got an alert that due to an expected thunderstorm the Powerwalls were charging. When I pulled up the app right away, they were actually discharging to the grid as part of a NG event. I'm so confused.

I got $173 the other day.
I messed up and had my single powerwall in backup only mode until about mid January, so I think I just had one event.
I got $234 on two units, so you did better than I did. Backup-only should not impact grid services. I have no idea what happened with the winter events and they don't seem to want to reply to my emails, so I'll take it with them just sending a check at all. Its correct-ish for the events that actually happened.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffco98
Super valuable info in this thread, thanks all for sharing. My panels and powerwalls are installed (have been for 2 weeks), inspections scheduled for next week… then the waiting game for PTO. Getting close to a full year since we put our order in, a bit bummed about missing the summer ConnectedSolutions window this year, but ah well.

Looking forward to finally being up and running!

Really looking forward to the day I get my meter switched out to a net meter and obtain PTO. In the interim, I'm doing "daily testing" of my system, watching the batteries charge, and ensuring I go "off grid" prior to and throughout the nearly daily weekday 4-7pm Connected Solutions discharge event. I was hoping the just released Tesla IOS App would enable me to do this since the What's New list includes the enticing "Use Go Off-Grid to seamlessly disconnect your home from the Grid with Powerwall" feature. Alas, it's nowhere to be found in the app, and I must relay on the browser UI to the Tesla Gateway to go off/on grid exclusively while at home.

Reactions: appleguru
Really looking forward to the day I get my meter switched out to a net meter and obtain PTO. In the interim, I'm doing "daily testing" of my system, watching the batteries charge, and ensuring I go "off grid" prior to and throughout the nearly daily weekday 4-7pm Connected Solutions discharge event. I was hoping the just released Tesla IOS App would enable me to do this since the What's New list includes the enticing "Use Go Off-Grid to seamlessly disconnect your home from the Grid with Powerwall" feature. Alas, it's nowhere to be found in the app, and I must relay on the browser UI to the Tesla Gateway to go off/on grid exclusively while at home.
They activated ConnectedSolutions before you got PTO?? Interesting.

Am curious.. if you login to your gateway and go to /api/customer/registration what so you see? Mine says

JSON:
{"privacy_notice":null,"limited_warranty":null,"grid_services":null,"marketing":null,"registered":true,"timed_out_registration":false}

/api/system_status/grid_status
JSON:
{"grid_status":"SystemGridConnected","grid_services_active":false}