Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mass Service at Rocklin SC 12/29-31/21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Yesterday I attended the mass front ball joint lubrication and inspection service at the Rocklin service center. This was for selected Model S/3/X that had not had their ball joints inspected and lubricated from other visits. It was like organized chaos with service people running up and down checking in cars and servicing them along the line. Last station was the required tire inspection and filling, if needed.

There were no reservations and you did not even demonstrate an intent until you showed up. The invite came in an email from a Tesla employee but there was no way to validate it and I was actually relieved when I saw the small crowd at the service center when I pulled up.

The event was scheduled for 3 days from 2pm until 4pm each day. I arrived around 2:30 pm on the 30th and there were already about 6 cars waiting in the street and about 30 cars (in two rows) queued or being serviced. All together it took me about 30 minutes total time. I suspect they serviced at least another 60 cars behind me but it could have been more since I did not go out anywhere near the queue. The Tesla folks were super efficient but you could see the pressure was building up to ensure everyone who arrived got serviced in a reasonable time.

So an interesting approach to fixing a small but important problem en masse. I would suspect they tweak the routine a bit going forward but from my perspective it was a success.

temp.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Interesting! Are there other threads around here that describe the problem being addressed?
Do a search for "front ball joint seal" and you will see quite a few people reported having this done via service and the MSB that is addressed. I accidently deleted the announcement email.

Here is my invoice:
Concern: Reseal Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints
Reseal Area Around Both Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints With Urethane (Model X)
Correction: Reseal Area Around Both Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints With Urethane
(Model X)

• Helpful
Reactions: ucmndd