Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts $2,500 EV Rebate Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so strange. There is a bill to this effect being considered with a hearing in committee on 6/26. Did DP just jump the legislative hoop and do it by executive fiat? I know there are precedents for this lately but... Here is the history of the bill:
Bill S.171

This credit didn't exist when I paid for my Model S in January of 2013. Really a better incentive is to just make EV purchases tax free, that's actually a better incentive (my sales tax was $5,625). That's what a "reasonable" state would do, but of course that will never happen in Taxachusetts.

The bill is not finalized yet so you can always write the governors office:

This e-mail is written in regards to the story below:

In Worcester, Patrick unveils electric vehicle rebate program - Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com

Good Morning Mr. Patrick,

I want to be one of the first to thank you for initiating the EV rebate program. Many other states have enacted similar programs with great success. The rebate program should help bring that success to Massachusetts. For anyone who doubts the initiative, they are not only forgetting about the environmental impact but the economical one as well. Electric vehicles tend to cost more, so there is more sales tax paid; excise tax will also be higher. Over the long term there could also be a stabilization of gasoline costs, by lowering demand.

I have watched the advancement of electric vehicles closely over the past 10 years or so, and truly believe they are the future of the automotive industry. For these cars to be successful, early adopters must take a leap of faith and purchase these vehicles with no reliability history. There is also limited knowledge of if/when the infrastructure will improve going forward. These early adopters are the ones who fund R&D to both improve the reliability of these vehicles and the expansion of the infrastructure.

In 2013 and prior there was a credit for installing charging stations in the home. Based on reading news in the past of Massachusetts joining other states to increase the presence of EV's in the area, I knew a program would be put in place to assist buyers in 2014.

I hope you consider starting the $2,500 rebate program where the home charging tax credit ended, January 1, 2014.

I think there are many like me who were expecting a credit like this in 2014, but thought it would be included when filing our tax returns at year end. As a family already stretching our budget, we would hate to see such a great program for the EV community leave a sour taste in our mouth. We would have a car immediately depreciating $2,500 more than those who bought the car a few weeks later than us, as well as no assistance towards a home charger like those who purchased before us.

I think Massachusetts is making the right decision on promoting electric vehicles and I look forward to seeing more on the road.

That's very welcome, hopefully it will be in effect when we get our X, however, I'm doubtful that's the best use of state money to increase EV sales. What's needed is more charging infrastructure to get around range anxiety. Everyone I talk to about Tesla and EV's in general is very reluctant to even consider an EV because of slow and/or non-existent charging.

That's very welcome, hopefully it will be in effect when we get our X, however, I'm doubtful that's the best use of state money to increase EV sales. What's needed is more charging infrastructure to get around range anxiety. Everyone I talk to about Tesla and EV's in general is very reluctant to even consider an EV because of slow and/or non-existent charging.

Funny, I have over 15,000 miles on my Model S in just over 15 months, I normally charge at home, not an issue. Once went to Mt Washington and charged at an RV Park, and for fun went down to test the East Greenwich Supercharger. There are more SuperChargers scheduled for installation this year in central MA, NH etc. I90 will be done enough to drive to the Great Lakes soon. with a 250 mile range car, it's not as big a problem as most people perceive.

Talked to the Office of Energy and my State rep. Program is different than the legislative program and will not be retroactive. A 3rd party is administering it and it will be online in early summer. Not worth delaying my delivery for 2 months I think.

Hmm, I may have to get my car opticoated and/or wrapped now ;)
Checking that you read my post properly. The program will not be retroactive. You and I will not be able to get the $2,500 rebate. I am annoyed at this. As an economist colleague points out, this does exactly the opposite of what they would like. It freezes buying decisions until after the program is developed, finalized and dates are announced.

From a political perspective, cynically, it accomplishes their goal. When the program begins, there will be a flood of pent up buying decisions and the program will look successful. However, some who delayed will be silently, permanently lost to EVs as they change their minds during the wait.

Checking that you read my post properly. The program will not be retroactive. You and I will not be able to get the $2,500 rebate. I am annoyed at this. As an economist colleague points out, this does exactly the opposite of what they would like. It freezes buying decisions until after the program is developed, finalized and dates are announced.

From a political perspective, cynically, it accomplishes their goal. When the program begins, there will be a flood of pent up buying decisions and the program will look successful. However, some who delayed will be silently, permanently lost to EVs as they change their minds during the wait.

Precisely! I am slated to pick my P85 on the 21st of April. The $2500 certainly would have been helpful. I would question whether or not reciprocating all of us that took delivery in 2014 wouldn't be the catalyst to, in addition to the $2500, incentivise those that are on the fence to purchase an EV.

I did misread what you wrote. That stinks! Will hurt the resale when trading to the X.

Conversely, why should the state hand out $2,500 in "incentives" to people who already made a decision to buy without the program? The cleanest approach would be to make it retroactive to April 1, 2014, so that you don't pay people who ordered without need of an incentive while not creating the "freeze" effect you describe.