Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts EV Off-Peak Charging for National Grid customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MA NatGrid does not have an residential tariff with cheaper off peak rates. However, I recently received an invitation for this program, which knocks 5 cents/kWh off off-peak EV charging in summer, and 3 cents in Winter. You have to download an app, which lets them monitor your charging, and you need to set the cars charging time to off peak, which seems to be 9pm-1pm.

It looks like it would save me $20-$25 a month. Does anyone have experience with this?

MA EV Off Peak Charging.

They also have a program that gives you a small yearly check if you give them the ability to turn off you
charger during heavy demand times. You can't sign up for both.

I signed up a couple months ago. It works as expected. My biggest complaint is I drive my car the most over the weekend and there is no off-peak weekend times. This means on Sundays I tell my car to wait until right after Midnight to start charging.
The app has very bad reviews on the Android store - one person claimed he could no longer charge his car. This makes me hesitant to sign on.

Does this work that the off-peak starts up again at 12:01am on Monday morning? I signed up for this program a few weeks ago and I've been otherwise trying to push off my post-weekend charging until Monday evening.
For me, I have had luck with this so far. On the weekend I swap to scheduled charging and do 12:15 and then during the week do scheduled departure for 7 am. I have been getting the rebate for the hours in the early mornings on Monday.

I wish Tesla would just make a chart where you could say schedule in these hours and not these other hours. Then, if needed you could override it but most of the time it would just charge in the windows you suggest.

Reactions: rbatch
MA NatGrid does not have an residential tariff with cheaper off peak rates. However, I recently received an invitation for this program, which knocks 5 cents/kWh off off-peak EV charging in summer, and 3 cents in Winter. You have to download an app, which lets them monitor your charging, and you need to set the cars charging time to off peak, which seems to be 9pm-1pm.

It looks like it would save me $20-$25 a month. Does anyone have experience with this?

MA EV Off Peak Charging.

They also have a program that gives you a small yearly check if you give them the ability to turn off you
charger during heavy demand times. You can't sign up for both.
We also have National Grid here in upstate NY, but I haven't received any such invitation. I'm curious if any other NY customers have. Thanks.

For me, I have had luck with this so far. On the weekend I swap to scheduled charging and do 12:15 and then during the week do scheduled departure for 7 am. I have been getting the rebate for the hours in the early mornings on Monday.

I wish Tesla would just make a chart where you could say schedule in these hours and not these other hours. Then, if needed you could override it but most of the time it would just charge in the windows you suggest.
You mean something like I have in my super high-tech, cutting-edge 1st Gen Chevrolet Volt where you can set weekday and weekend schedules setting each period to Peak, Mid-Peak or Off-Peak, and you can either have a single yearly schedule or separate summer/winter schedules?

1660831016999.png

I think you're confusing Tesla with a company that cares about use cases of people who live in places with tariffs that work differently to California.

Reactions: Cryptoengineer