Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts Supreme Court rules for Tesla in franchise fight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of people in Texas ask me if I had to go out of state to buy it.

I get that question a lot too. My typical answer is "Don't believe anything you hear in the media".

And yes, it's a pain for Tesla because of what their employees can't say (I suspect that talking about financing is the big one). But my understanding is that in more sensible states, all the employees do is guide the purchaser through the website and explain the choices as they navigate through the site. Plus of course the "instant test drive" thing.

The buying is easy as jerry33 notes above. The issue is selling, not buying. Tesla can sell its American-made cars in communist China but not in Texas. I happened to be meeting with a Tesla PR person the day they started selling in China and suggested that would make a good tweet, but she didn't take me up on it.

I would love to see Rick Perry and all the Democrats & Republicans voting on the Tesla ban weasel their way out of this one (I'm sure they could easily do that)

But it's not just people in Europe who are confused about this. Lots of people in Texas ask me if I had to go out of state to buy it.

Not to put salt into anybody's wounds: I'm fully aware of how the process works so I'm not really confused about it. But quite honestly, I like to poke fun at it (just like I do like to poke fun at a a lot of the crap that's going on in Europe...). I think we all agree that the hoops you need to jump through in order to sell (or buy) a product shouldn't depend on any industry lobby's monopolistic aspirations.

So I will continue use this silly ban in Texas as an example how moronic politicians can be if they are just paid the right amounts of money. Guess the understanding of the meaning of "free market capitalism" is also subject to Upton Sinclair's quote: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it".

I would love to see Rick Perry and all the Democrats & Republicans voting on the Tesla ban weasel their way out of this one (I'm sure they could easily do that)

The Texas dealer franchise laws have their genesis beginning in 1910, so the road leading to the current "Tesla Ban" can be pinned on politicians who are presumably long dead. Perry et al, can take credit for not ending the ban.

Not to put salt into anybody's wounds: I'm fully aware of how the process works so I'm not really confused about it. But quite honestly, I like to poke fun at it (just like I do like to poke fun at a a lot of the crap that's going on in Europe...). I think we all agree that the hoops you need to jump through in order to sell (or buy) a product shouldn't depend on any industry lobby's monopolistic aspirations.

So I will continue use this silly ban in Texas as an example how moronic politicians can be if they are just paid the right amounts of money. Guess the understanding of the meaning of "free market capitalism" is also subject to Upton Sinclair's quote: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it".

We will eventually fix the Texas problem -- our lame duck governor may have gotten the ball rolling out of his lust for the gigafactory -- but I would note that Texas' problem is one of inaction -- not one of action (see North Carolina, New Jersey, etc.). Our legislature, at least, didn't let any pro-dealer legislation come to a vote.

I would note that Texas' problem is one of inaction -- not one of action (see North Carolina, New Jersey, etc.). Our legislature, at least, didn't let any pro-dealer legislation come to a vote.
It didn't need to-- Texas already has the most pro-dealer laws in the country. They're bulletproof. TADA is proud that auto dealer associations in other states use the Texas laws as a model for what they want to achieve.

It didn't need to-- Texas already has the most pro-dealer laws in the country. They're bulletproof. TADA is proud that auto dealer associations in other states use the Texas laws as a model for what they want to achieve.
Texas could have tried to ban Internet sales, like NC was well on their way to doing. Just because we have the most pro-dealer laws in the country, it doesn't mean they can't make it more pro-dealer. After all, those out-of-state sales are leaking Teslas into the state like a sieve.

I hope they do. It would be great, by the time the Model E comes out, if I can just choose one from inventory, instead of waiting for months.
More showrooms does not mean having inventory. It likely just means more places to see the car, test drive it, and order it, not changing the build-to-order model. When production ramps up and they can keep up with demand you shouldn't have to wait for months. Last year before international sales started I only had to wait 6 weeks for my Model S, and I would expect the lead time to be down to 3-4 weeks when Tesla ramps up production enough.

I could live with 3-4 weeks lead time, but it would be nice to see inventory, though that would add to the cost. More display models anyway. They'll have to get larger showrooms once they have several models to display.

Any rumors, here in MA, that Herb and the dealer assn. are throwing money at legislators to alter the laws now that the Supreme Court has shut them down?

I could live with 3-4 weeks lead time, but it would be nice to see inventory, though that would add to the cost. More display models anyway. They'll have to get larger showrooms once they have several models to display.

Any rumors, here in MA, that Herb and the dealer assn. are throwing money at legislators to alter the laws now that the Supreme Court has shut them down?

I actually bumped into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Linsky yesterday at the supermarket and he asked me if I had heard about the ruling.
He did not mention any pending alterations to the laws, I could ask him...

If you do ask him . . . I wonder if we could explore the possibilities of altering the laws, such that, any OEMS could sell directly in MA, competing with dealers much the same as you can buy an iPhone at an a Apple store, or almost any other dealer of cell phones.

Wouldn't it be great if MA led the way?

These laws are truly insane. I have read the arguments and do not see any merit in what the dealers are saying given that Tesla has no dealer system in place. All the dealers are concerned about is stifling competition because they know they are selling inferior cars.