Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question is for Massachusetts folks who already took delivery, but may still be watching this thread.

I'm looking for an affordable place to get PPF (paint protective film) installed. Ideally, I'd like to get the XPEL Stealth PPF on the entire car, but may have to settle for a clear front bra plus the front of the glass roof and side mirrors. So far, I quote of $7500 for the full stealth PPF from Automotive elegance in Andover, MA. They can do the more limited clear bra for $2,995.

I have no experience with any local PPF installers, so any advice is welcome. I'm also willing to install it myself, but would love to hear from someone who has tried this and doesn't do it full time...

Thanks.
Q car care in Burlington will do the stealth wrap (makes your vehicle look frozen/matte) for 7k. The clear PPF for the entire car for 6k and they have a model Y package for 2995. They advertise that they are very knowledgeable working with Teslas.

That being said, I may decide on a ceramic package instead (it’s cheaper) OR the model Y package clear PPF. I have had one car in my lifetime ceramic coated and for me, it makes upkeep extremely easy! Quick power wash to rinse and foam cannon then blow dry and done in 20-30 min vs two hours of hand wash, clay, polish/wax. Time is one thing I can’t recoup and anything that saves me time is worth it (to a point price wise)

Q car care in Burlington will do the stealth wrap (makes your vehicle look frozen/matte) for 7k. The clear PPF for the entire car for 6k and they have a model Y package for 2995. They advertise that they are very knowledgeable working with Teslas.

That being said, I may decide on a ceramic package instead (it’s cheaper) OR the model Y package clear PPF. I have had one car in my lifetime ceramic coated and for me, it makes upkeep extremely easy! Quick power wash to rinse and foam cannon then blow dry and done in 20-30 min vs two hours of hand wash, clay, polish/wax. Time is one thing I can’t recoup and anything that saves me time is worth it (to a point price wise)
what does Ceramic coating cost, any good places near Boston that do it?

Hi there fellow Massholes!
Going to pull the trigger soon on a MYLR, Blue, possibly 7 seater (so we can take kids' friends around time to time).
I live near the Norwell store, has anyone gone here? How was it?
Anyone doing the tesla trailer hitch or going 3rd party?
I want to do the xcel stealth ppf. Been following Q Care, their work looks amazing. Better be good for the price, right? Has anyone looked at South Shore Tints in Weymouth?

Reactions: MIGS Tessie
Taking delivery next week, fingers crossed I get all seasons. I’ve never had summer tires before so maybe a newbie question here but how risky would it be to use those in the winter?
First time you take them out in the snow you'll probably decide you really need some winter tires! Neither the tread design nor the rubber composition of summer tires works well in the snow. Some people certainly use them year round, but your chances of ending up in the ditch are greatly increased.

If you get an extra set of rims then swapping between winter and summer times is pretty painless and gives you ideal tires for both seasons vs the "all season" compromise.

Reactions: E90M3Jerez
My EDD just narrowed to two weeks! Previous EDD was Aug 27- Sept 23
Ordered on 6/10

Attachments

• E8FCA4D0-C1D2-47C4-9649-C615614916D3.jpeg
    E8FCA4D0-C1D2-47C4-9649-C615614916D3.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 84

After getting multiple quotes and spending countless hours researching what it takes to wrap a car in PPF, I decided to turn it into an evening project. I’ll start with the front bumper and mirrors. Clear gloss is my only option since I’ll do it in pieces over time. So far I’m only into it for under $200 on Amazon. The wrapping tools and materials arrive this Saturday. I’m scheduled for delivery on Monday in Peabody. I plan to wrap the front bumper and mirrors Monday evening. Those are the most likely parts to take damage from normal daily driving.

After getting multiple quotes and spending countless hours researching what it takes to wrap a car in PPF, I decided to turn it into an evening project. I’ll start with the front bumper and mirrors. Clear gloss is my only option since I’ll do it in pieces over time. So far I’m only into it for under $200 on Amazon. The wrapping tools and materials arrive this Saturday. I’m scheduled for delivery on Monday in Peabody. I plan to wrap the front bumper and mirrors Monday evening. Those are the most likely parts to take damage from normal daily driving.
Please let us know how it comes out and how hard it is. Can you share what you bought on Amazon? I get my car next Thursday in Dedham.

First time you take them out in the snow you'll probably decide you really need some winter tires! Neither the tread design nor the rubber composition of summer tires works well in the snow. Some people certainly use them year round, but your chances of ending up in the ditch are greatly increased.

If you get an extra set of rims then swapping between winter and summer times is pretty painless and gives you ideal tires for both seasons vs the "all season" compromise.
I can't stress that enough as well. My 2015 Model S came with summer Michelin Pilot Sports. One night I hit the brakes on a slushy road in December and slid straight off into a ditch and a small tree. The brakes literally didn't work on snow or ice roads. Got myself all seasons real quick after that accident.

Please let us know how it comes out and how hard it is. Can you share what you bought on Amazon? I get my car next Thursday in Dedham.
Take this with a grain of salt as is very possible I ordered the wrong size and garbage tools…. Here’s what I’m hoping is going to work to get started:

3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 24-by-96-inches https://a.co/d/aWe8nB6

Vehicle Window Tint Film Install Vinyl Wrap Tool Kit Includes Felt Squeegee, PPF Scraper, Safety Cutter, Air Release Pin, Utility Knife & Blades Vinyl Applicator Wrap Tools for Car Wrapping Wallpaper https://a.co/d/fpnQ0u4

VViViD Precision Gliding Automotive Vinyl Wrapping Knife, Retractable, Safety Locking, 5 Replacement Blades https://a.co/d/3TxJaCh

I already have a good heat gun and spray bottles.

Reactions: michaelb11
Take this with a grain of salt as is very possible I ordered the wrong size and garbage tools…. Here’s what I’m hoping is going to work to get started:

3M Scotchgard Clear Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 24-by-96-inches https://a.co/d/aWe8nB6

Vehicle Window Tint Film Install Vinyl Wrap Tool Kit Includes Felt Squeegee, PPF Scraper, Safety Cutter, Air Release Pin, Utility Knife & Blades Vinyl Applicator Wrap Tools for Car Wrapping Wallpaper https://a.co/d/fpnQ0u4

VViViD Precision Gliding Automotive Vinyl Wrapping Knife, Retractable, Safety Locking, 5 Replacement Blades https://a.co/d/3TxJaCh

I already have a good heat gun and spray bottles.
Oh wow, I thought you were buying one of the pre-cut kits. Thanks for sharing. It should be an interesting project.

Oh wow, I thought you were buying one of the pre-cut kits. Thanks for sharing. It should be an interesting project.
This will be an experiment. I originally planned on buying a kit, but at double the cost I figured I’d give this a try. The pros don’t appear to use the pre cut kits - I could be wrong there. Time will tell and worst case is I wasted $140 on a roll of PPF. Fingers crossed…. Maybe I’ll make a YouTube video of the process including my mistakes…

Congrats on your delivery next week! Mine got pushed a few more days after I had my VIN. I may just lose my mind if I’m not driving a Model Y by the end of the day on Monday!

This will be an experiment. I originally planned on buying a kit, but at double the cost I figured I’d give this a try. The pros don’t appear to use the pre cut kits - I could be wrong there. Time will tell and worst case is I wasted $140 on a roll of PPF. Fingers crossed…. Maybe I’ll make a YouTube video of the process including my mistakes…

Congrats on your delivery next week! Mine got pushed a few more days after I had my VIN. I may just lose my mind if I’m not driving a Model Y by the end of the day on Monday!
My SA told me that my car will arrive in Dedham on or about 8/20; we are likely on the same trailer. I look forward to hearing your experience.