Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang! Week after order EDD Changed to last half of December. Was expecting to get into the new year for tax credit. Think the date will change another dozen times or should I start looking on delaying delivery when a VIN gets assigned?
POOP!!!!
12/1 VIN assigned. Coming from Fremont.
Going to contact SA in the morning to see what options are for Delaying delivery to January.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
This will be an experiment. I originally planned on buying a kit, but at double the cost I figured I’d give this a try. The pros don’t appear to use the pre cut kits - I could be wrong there. Time will tell and worst case is I wasted $140 on a roll of PPF. Fingers crossed…. Maybe I’ll make a YouTube video of the process including my mistakes…

Congrats on your delivery next week! Mine got pushed a few more days after I had my VIN. I may just lose my mind if I’m not driving a Model Y by the end of the day on Monday!
curious, how did this work out. Thinking about doing the same. I got the impression the 3M is 'harder' to stretch if doing the bumper

curious, how did this work out. Thinking about doing the same. I got the impression the 3M is 'harder' to stretch if doing the bumper
You have the right impression! The 3M is a lot harder to stretch and work with in general than the XPel Ultimate Plus. I started with the 3M and used it on the bumper and mirrors. I was not happy with the outcome. Keep in mind, I'd never touched PPF before trying to wrap my front bumper with it. Don't start with the bumper! Start with something easier like a fender...

I have since switched to XPel Ultimate Plus and I have decent skills stretching, aligning, trimming, and wrapping PPF in general. I was very pleased with how my fenders and hood came out, so I peeled and rewrapped my mirrors using the hot water trick to get a lot more stretch. My biggest issue is my garage does not have a very high ceiling and it's not very clean (despite cleaning it). I've found a few bits of lint or dust got under the PPF as I was applying it. I know the car was spotless at the time, so I think the contaminants come from the air that moves while peeling the backing off the PPF. It's not much different from installing a screen protector on your phone - any little thing that gets between the protector and the glass makes a small bubble. Once you spot it, that'll be all you see...

I plan on wrapping the rest of the car in the spring, but I may just rent a storage unit for a month so I can get a clean place to work without shelves, dust, and spider webs hiding in every corner.

You have the right impression! The 3M is a lot harder to stretch and work with in general than the XPel Ultimate Plus. I started with the 3M and used it on the bumper and mirrors. I was not happy with the outcome. Keep in mind, I'd never touched PPF before trying to wrap my front bumper with it. Don't start with the bumper! Start with something easier like a fender...

I have since switched to XPel Ultimate Plus and I have decent skills stretching, aligning, trimming, and wrapping PPF in general. I was very pleased with how my fenders and hood came out, so I peeled and rewrapped my mirrors using the hot water trick to get a lot more stretch. My biggest issue is my garage does not have a very high ceiling and it's not very clean (despite cleaning it). I've found a few bits of lint or dust got under the PPF as I was applying it. I know the car was spotless at the time, so I think the contaminants come from the air that moves while peeling the backing off the PPF. It's not much different from installing a screen protector on your phone - any little thing that gets between the protector and the glass makes a small bubble. Once you spot it, that'll be all you see...

I plan on wrapping the rest of the car in the spring, but I may just rent a storage unit for a month so I can get a clean place to work without shelves, dust, and spider webs hiding in every corner.
Thanks! which vendor did u buy the XPEL from?

instead of the storage unit, you could make a DIY clear plastic dome/tent out of cheap wood/pipes and cheap house wrap

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed VINs tend to be issued about a week before delivery and one of the SAs in Peabody said that my car would likely be delivered in the early part of the delivery range - he could see something I could not apparently, something about a "soft match". Only time will tell...

How does your Model Y drive during the Boston winters? I don't drive much in the snow (no daily commute so I usually just don't drive if it's bad) but sometimes I get stuck on a storm during a ski trip in my mini Cooper and hoping the AWD is less prone to getting stuck in the snow.

Yeah I noticed VINs tend to be issued about a week before delivery and one of the SAs in Peabody said that my car would likely be delivered in the early part of the delivery range - he could see something I could not apparently, something about a "soft match". Only time will tell...

How does your Model Y drive during the Boston winters? I don't drive much in the snow (no daily commute so I usually just don't drive if it's bad) but sometimes I get stuck on a storm during a ski trip in my mini Cooper and hoping the AWD is less prone to getting stuck in the snow.

You could try the "source code" trick and see if that still works. Noty sure if this still works, but hey... worth a shot!

Stock 19" gemini wheels and conti tires were slipping a bit more than I'd like in the minor snowfall we had last week or so. I'll be changing to all terrain tires. All weather tires would be nice, too. Either will reduce efficiency. Luckily, we've had a pretty mild winter so far. I also threw some wheel chocks in the back after seeing some parked Teslas slipping down sloped inclines.

Did you try turning off regenerative braking in the snow? I heard that can help. I haven't experienced the car in snow yet so that's only based on what I read.
I wonder if there's a tire which improves upon the stock Conti's performance in snow while minimizing range loss.

The problem with snow tires in Boston is there are plenty of days (like almost every day this winter aside from a few) where the temperature is in the 40s and it'd be a shame to lose range all winter just for that odd snow day.