Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massive battery drain at airport during 3 week trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, if it's more than 4-5 days away, I take Uber vs. parking at the airport. One of these days, I'll try the RTD A line, but not until they work the bugs out. There are still frequent delays reported.

USAirpark, which is where I park "at" the airport, across the street from Canopy, also has EV chargers available, though I've never used them. I have no personal experience with Canopy, but someone on the Tesla forum posted last year about Canopy breaking one of their seats

To the original question, notwithstanding the Denver EV charging availability. If you check the Norway forum you'll find quite a few threads about long term winter outside storage.
In my own case I do not have cold weather, but I often leave my car stored for 2-3 months. Before I had my own charger I did that several times.
With energy savings on, always connected off, the typical 60F parasite has been around 1% per day. In another case I left it three weeks at an average of 10F, with a daily loss around 1.5%.
In both cases the early losses are greater than later ones, so the % per day calculation is more nearly accurate than kWh per day.
After some time I habitually left the car at 90%, which always allowed sufficient range after returning and above all let me ignore the car in between, rather than constantly waking it up to ask.
Luckily there are easier alternatives for most cases now, including Denver.

To the original question, notwithstanding the Denver EV charging availability. If you check the Norway forum you'll find quite a few threads about long term winter outside storage.
In my own case I do not have cold weather, but I often leave my car stored for 2-3 months. Before I had my own charger I did that several times.
With energy savings on, always connected off, the typical 60F parasite has been around 1% per day. In another case I left it three weeks at an average of 10F, with a daily loss around 1.5%.
In both cases the early losses are greater than later ones, so the % per day calculation is more nearly accurate than kWh per day.
After some time I habitually left the car at 90%, which always allowed sufficient range after returning and above all let me ignore the car in between, rather than constantly waking it up to ask.
Luckily there are easier alternatives for most cases now, including Denver.

Yes, I would leave Energy Saving on and Always connected off. I've used these settings without issue when not using my car for at least a week or more.

So the car sat unplugged for 21 days and the range decreased from 160 to 19, which is 6.7 miles/day of range loss. I would say that is not unusual.
I lose about 3-4mi/day with my MS parked in a fairly warm garage (~60F) with Energy Saving OFF and Always Connected On. I do not have any third party apps. I don't think the OPs lose is unusual, but could be reduced with Energy Saving On and Always Connected OFF. The car just has enormous vampire loss.

By contrast my BMW i3 which is also "always connected" has virtually no vampire loss.

It's possible the excessive vampire loss occurred on the below 0F day. I don't know at what temp the electrolyte in the battery pack could be compromised, but I'm sure there's protection built in - turn on the battery coolant pump and heater.

It's possible the excessive vampire loss occurred on the below 0F day. I don't know at what temp the electrolyte in the battery pack could be compromised, but I'm sure there's protection built in - turn on the battery coolant pump and heater.

We had a drop to 50 here and I know I lost 2% in a few hours due to the battery being cold. I had range mode on and forgot to turn it off when I parked.

As I just reported elsewhere, my mid 2016 refresh S70 had just two miles of vampire drain over a two week period with energy savings on and connected off. This with the car not plugged in.

It appears to me from reading these threads that the electronics changed in the 2016 model. Wonder what the new AP2 cars will show for vampire.