Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massive data uploads since 2017.34 2448cfc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had our first (amazing!) family road trip from Bucks County, PA to Vermont and back in the Tesla. Lots of quality time on AP2 on Route 202, 287, and 87 in both highway cruising and stop and go (result of a big accident) traffic. IMO, it performed wonderfully and made the drive so much more pleasant, even enjoyable. (We've been doing this exact drive for about 18 years now, so we've experienced it in good traffic, bad traffic, good weather, bad weather, dangerously bad weather, day, night, etc.)

Got home and found our car was also excited to share pictures of the trip with her mothership: Uploaded 2.9GB between the time we got home (around 10PM) and when I checked the following morning. We are still on 2017.34.2448cfc.

Is there any correlation between the amount of time autopilot is used and that data uploaded to the time a software update is received? I'm also on 2017.34 but only use autopilot for only a short amount of time on daily commute.

About this... I seem to remember a lot of chatter a while back about how feedback was refining driving maps, and the more people that were out driving, the better the mapping and AI response would become. Is it not like that anymore? Seems like the simplest way to improve the AP experience, at least from the point of simply staying in the lane.
I know the AP1 experience in Southern California became better over the months I was using it. AP2 has as well. Personally I think there is a lot of secret sauce none of these companies is talking about. Tesla claimed to be using crowd sourced GPS-built HD maps to aid in lane keeping in AP1. Many folks poo poo'ed that notion but we do know that AP1 got better and better at lane keeping during difficult conditions. The end result was it worked. Tesla told us how they did it. Some folks claimed Tesla's stated method was impossible - but these same folks failed to offer an alternate theory of how Tesla got the job done.

Reactions: Puddles
I know the AP1 experience in Southern California became better over the months I was using it. AP2 has as well. Personally I think there is a lot of secret sauce none of these companies is talking about. Tesla claimed to be using crowd sourced GPS-built HD maps to aid in lane keeping in AP1. Many folks poo poo'ed that notion but we do know that AP1 got better and better at lane keeping during difficult conditions. The end result was it worked. Tesla told us how they did it. Some folks claimed Tesla's stated method was impossible - but these same folks failed to offer an alternate theory of how Tesla got the job done.
so you don't believe the story that mobileye vision became that good?

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow
So here's an interesting data point. I haven't driven my car today and it's just been sitting in the garage doing nothing, however it's uploaded 300 mb of data so far today since 12:01 last night.

The mother ship must really love pics / video of my garage, maybe something is going on their at night I don't know about!
There=location and THEIR = ownership by more than one. You many wish to switch the two words.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I'm averaging 2gb upload daily. Getting rather annoying that Tesla is getting told a lot of info but not telling us any info. Might be time to add a rate limit :)

Okay, went ahead and did it. Wonder if they'll call me to complain.

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 1.58.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 1.58.51 PM.png

Okay, went ahead and did it. Wonder if they'll call me to complain.

View attachment 251310 View attachment 251311

I doubt they care. If anything you might be shooting yourself in the foot if 10kbps upload traffic dominates the ability for your car to communicate to the mothership to get software updates….

If the upload traffic annoys you, it seems like turning off data sharing is the better way to go.

I've got two young ones at home ... during the school year, Im OK. And Im a full on cord cutter.

Summertime, we easily hit 1TB
Ok - have to add an update. I just looked at my stats this past month. We don't have a cap, but I blew past 1TB by a few 100 GB. Never thought it was possible. I had a security camera running at highest resolution and sending all to an external computer. Doh.

I believed it could be done, but thought it was much more difficult than it actually was...

Now I'm in the 1TB club too!!!

Ok - have to add an update. I just looked at my stats this past month. We don't have a cap, but I blew past 1TB by a few 100 GB. Never thought it was possible. I had a security camera running at highest resolution and sending all to an external computer. Doh.

I believed it could be done, but thought it was much more difficult than it actually was...

Now I'm in the 1TB club too!!!

Yeah it's not super hard to get to 1TB, especially with video streaming. It also doesn't help to play video games where 40-60GB updates per game seems kind of commonplace. If I combine all of that with working from home, I can pretty consistently cross 1TB if I'm not careful; for me, traffic shaping has been a key strategy to keep me under the Comcast caps.