Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

massive memory leak leading to MCU crashing while driving, random autopilot disconnects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a 9.5 hour drive yesterday and approximately 8 hours in the screen started getting very, very slow. Turn signals started to lag or occasionally not work at all. Auto pilot completely disconnected without warning multiple times. Clicking anything on the screen was an incredibly slow experience.

Then suddenly, at the best possible time (getting off highway to find Super Charger), the entire UI froze up and everything that regularly updates on the screen froze or disappeared. For example, the map froze completely. Speed and state of charge disappeared. Visualizations stopped. The music stopped playing. Turn signals stopped working. Complete failure.

I then gave it the two finger salute (dual scroll wheel reboot) and after an exceedingly long time everything came back. Luckily this was a Super Charger I'd been to before so I knew where to go. Did not have any issues the rest of the trip (approx 1.5 hr).

Anyone else have any issues like this? Never had this issue prior to V11.

• Informative
Reactions: trisk and KenC
Did a 9.5 hour drive yesterday and approximately 8 hours in the screen started getting very, very slow. Turn signals started to lag or occasionally not work at all. Auto pilot completely disconnected without warning multiple times. Clicking anything on the screen was an incredibly slow experience.

Then suddenly, at the best possible time (getting off highway to find Super Charger), the entire UI froze up and everything that regularly updates on the screen froze or disappeared. For example, the map froze completely. Speed and state of charge disappeared. Visualizations stopped. The music stopped playing. Turn signals stopped working. Complete failure.

I then gave it the two finger salute (dual scroll wheel reboot) and after an exceedingly long time everything came back. Luckily this was a Super Charger I'd been to before so I knew where to go. Did not have any issues the rest of the trip (approx 1.5 hr).

I have seen a decent number of "screen reboot" issues that end up being because the USB drive is full or corrupt. Try Re formatting your USB drive.

Yeah, it happens. While not desirable, it's not out of the ordinary for some updates to be a bit more buggy than others resulting in crashes. It's certainly not unique to V11. If you haven't experienced it prior to V11, you probably just haven't had enough experience with prior versions.

Happened both directions on our trip to Virginia and back to Brooklyn. Same exact playout as yours.

I then gave it the two finger salute (dual scroll wheel reboot) and after an exceedingly long time everything came back.
Di you installed a new update recently?

My rear view camera suddenly stopped to work while I needed it when going into reverse.
I never had thsi problem before. I rebooted and the problem disapeared.

I just remebber that I had the new GUI update (2021.44) the night before.
It was a major update, this might explain the problem I encountered.

I will try now to remember to do a full rebbot after getting a new update.

Reactions: 101dals
Yeah, it happens. While not desirable, it's not out of the ordinary for some updates to be a bit more buggy than others resulting in crashes. It's certainly not unique to V11. If you haven't experienced it prior to V11, you probably just haven't had enough experience with prior versions.
Plenty of long drives prior to this with no issues. This was the first long drive with V11.

Also noticed the time didn't update when I crossed into a new time zone. Looked all through the menus and couldn't find anything except to change it from 12hr to 24hr time. Just had to deal with the wrong time the whole time.

Additionally I noticed it no longer accurately predicts the amount of charge required for the next leg. Charge to arrive at 10%, hit continue trip and start driving, boom now arriving at 25%. Wasted time at the Super Charger.

So many issues. One wonders if they bothered to install this on an actual car prior to sending it out to make the Christmas deadline...

For what its worth, drove 10 hours back today and had no major issues except occasionally it seemed like the UI would get slow (slow turn signal activation) but it somehow corrected itself and never got worse.

Plenty of long drives prior to this with no issues. This was the first long drive with V11.

Also noticed the time didn't update when I crossed into a new time zone. Looked all through the menus and couldn't find anything except to change it from 12hr to 24hr time. Just had to deal with the wrong time the whole time.

Additionally I noticed it no longer accurately predicts the amount of charge required for the next leg. Charge to arrive at 10%, hit continue trip and start driving, boom now arriving at 25%. Wasted time at the Super Charger.

So many issues. One wonders if they bothered to install this on an actual car prior to sending it out to make the Christmas deadline...

For what its worth, drove 10 hours back today and had no major issues except occasionally it seemed like the UI would get slow (slow turn signal activation) but it somehow corrected itself and never got worse.
It's not always the length of the drive that is the problem (although it may be with V11). I've had the MCU spontaneously crash and reboot within minutes (or even seconds) of starting the car before. It's just a bug in this release. If it's pervasive enough, Tesla will issue a patch (I noticed I had an update yesterday, so maybe that has a fix). The point is, some releases are buggy, and some are not. There was a release a year or two ago that tons of people were experiencing multiple crashes a day. It got fixed pretty quickly, but definitely a QA slip on that one.

I do agree that it was probably a rush job to get it out by Christmas.

Before v11 UI upgrade I had occasional phantom braking, but since the upgrade (currently on 2021.44.30.5) have:
  • 3x screen has frozen while driving and rebooted (pretty freaky in traffic when you have no idea which controls are working and which are not); one other time screen was just dead while parked and ultimately required reboot
  • rear camera has significant lag issues (1-2 sec)
  • frequent phantom braking in FSD and (when FSD disabled), in TACC; I originally thought this was caused by glare or something but now think it may be caused by the processor freezing up
  • frequent streaming music static that is then followed music quitting, and sometimes then followed by a phantom braking event
Sounds like others on this forum have experienced some similar issues - if so, did your experience improve with 2021.44.30.15 or 2022.4? I’m trying to decide whether this will resolve itself with the next upgrade or to call service…

Before v11 UI upgrade I had occasional phantom braking, but since the upgrade (currently on 2021.44.30.5) have:
  • 3x screen has frozen while driving and rebooted (pretty freaky in traffic when you have no idea which controls are working and which are not); one other time screen was just dead while parked and ultimately required reboot
  • rear camera has significant lag issues (1-2 sec)
  • frequent phantom braking in FSD and (when FSD disabled), in TACC; I originally thought this was caused by glare or something but now think it may be caused by the processor freezing up
  • frequent streaming music static that is then followed music quitting, and sometimes then followed by a phantom braking event
Sounds like others on this forum have experienced some similar issues - if so, did your experience improve with 2021.44.30.15 or 2022.4? I’m trying to decide whether this will resolve itself with the next upgrade or to call service…
Still having issues? I just submitted a service request so they have it on record that I’m having issues. Similar problems to you with v11, was hoping they’d fix it in an update but no luck so far. I haven’t had any different phantom braking behavior (and that’s a different computer) so I suspect that’s unrelated personally.

I have seen a decent number of "screen reboot" issues that end up being because the USB drive is full or corrupt. Try Re formatting your USB drive.
This may be related, but when we first got the MYP last year the first few weeks the MCU would lock up. Once it locked up for a few hours. It was a slight pain getting back online. Some time later I switched from the stock usb stick to an external NVME drive and have not have those MCU lockups since knock on wood. I wonder if what I experienced was the usb drive...?

This may be related, but when we first got the MYP last year the first few weeks the MCU would lock up. Once it locked up for a few hours. It was a slight pain getting back online. Some time later I switched from the stock usb stick to an external NVME drive and have not have those MCU lockups since knock on wood. I wonder if what I experienced was the usb drive...?

Maybe.... I use a samsung endurance microSD card, in an adapter. One of the ones ment for cameras, etc. I have been using it since mid 2019 with no issues, and just bought the same one for my wifes new model Y that we picked up on the 9th.

I was having the lock ups and navigation crashing. I thought that there was not way it could be my SSD drive. I pulled over to reset the car after yet another lock up, pulled out the SSD and reset the car. I put the tesla memory stick back in temporarily until I could reformat the SSD. No crashes since reformatting the SSD when I got back home (and it has been over a month now). I probably had the nav crash 6-7 times before identifying the issue. There were no updates for me during the interval

Reactions: GtiMart
I drove about 200 miles last Saturday and didn't get a "reboot" level crash, but twice the music stopped, and didn't move to the next track (I had shuffle turned on, about 6000 CD-ripped FLAC files on a 256 GB Samsung USB stick.) I think I had to manually pick a new track to get the music to restart.

Was on 2022.4.5.3 at the time, and got upgraded to 2022.4.5.17 either Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

2022.8.2 has an fix for the laggy rear-view camera so it is possible this bug could be another undocumented fix in that version?

Edit: My music drive is a Samsung 256GB (same physical dimensions as the included Tesla drive) but my Dashcam records to a SanDisk Max Endurance 256 GB card.

Last edited:
Still having issues? I just submitted a service request so they have it on record that I’m having issues. Similar problems to you with v11, was hoping they’d fix it in an update but no luck so far. I haven’t had any different phantom braking behavior (and that’s a different computer) so I suspect that’s unrelated personally.
Yes, still having issues. This weekend, on a long trip, I heard the clicking sounds and told my wife that within 5 minutes the UI would crash. About 3 min later the screen froze and I lost all sensors and turn signals (or at least my ability to tell what they were doing) and about 2 min later the car re-booted while driving. Tesla service has told me to use voice commands and say “report bug” when this happens so that they’ll have a time stamp to look up, but I’m not sure what data they have access to when this happens. I‘be also scheduled a technician to come look at it later this week. I am confident it’s a software bug since it started with the rollout of V11, and I’m still a few updates behind in the rollout. I did see that the rear camera lag is addressed in the version notes of an upcoming release so hopefully the technician can push that to me.

Reactions: Evi_MX