Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massive PTO Delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. I had powerwalls added to existing solar (took over a year). PTO submitted (incorrectly) in March. PG&E requested correct documents from Tesla in May. According to PGE rep I talked to today, it’s been crickets from Tesla since. My SA Won’t take calls or respond to emails anymore

Man, I feel really bad for all of you folks who are stuck in this situation. It would absolutely drive me up the wall if that happened to me. I paid 25 cents more per Watt ($2.25/W) for a reputable local installer (REC Alpha Black 365W panels, Solar edge 11000 inverter, Iron ridge mounting) after I tested the waters with Tesla and received no response to my simple queries to my project manager after putting down the initial $100 deposit.

The local installers have been amazingly responsive, put together an HOA application for me, worked with me on conduit run designs and had the install done within a week of HOA approval. Inspection completed a few days later, and after my power company installed the 2-way meter, they were over to turn things on the very next day. Experiences like the ones posted here were what kept me away from Tesla. Sucks that things are getting worse rather than better. It feels wrong to reward a company with large amounts of money for being absolutely atrocious at customer support and service. All the best y'all!

• Informative
Reactions: ryneezy and Vines
I'm in Rhode Island, it took 7 months to get PTO, this was after months of delays on install too. Tesla submitted the wrong application twice, then just stop trying to submit the paperwork to the electric company. I kept calling my advisor and leaving her messages. Finally, I get someone else who tells me my advisor was fired months ago and my case was never reassigned to anyone so no one had even looked at it in over two months. I finally get Tesla to submit the correct paperwork and National Grid dropped the ball and almost two more months passed. Finally, I tweeted National Grid a picture of a complaint form I filled out on the public utility commission website. I got a call 20 minutes later with PTO.

I'm installing another system because I got a second EV. I didn't even consider Tesla. It's sad, the Tesla installers were amazing. They did a very clean job, moved my powerwalls further away from the gateway and main panel simply because it looked better. Walked me through everything, and cleaned up after themselves. They were friendly and professional, unlike the advisors who were some of the worst human beings I have ever spoken to. My advisor lied repeatedly about state incentives I would receive, about the status of the project, and about PTO.

I am in Rhode Island also and waiting for PTO for the last 3 months. Can you share the link on how you filed complaints and National grid info. So frustrated with paying 50k and no service. Thanks in Advance.
I filled out the form on this page, RIPUC - File A Complaint took a screenshot and tweeted National Grid the screenshot. Before you do that, make sure Tesla sent all the correct paperwork to National Grid, the first four months or so of issues were Teslas fault.

Er1c*,
Thanks. Will try it today and report back. You liking the system you install and is production what you expected? Thanks again. Tom
The first-year production is a tad better than what they quote. The powerwalls work great during outages and I made about $4K last year for being part of the Connected Solutions battery program. I'm very happy, I just keep my fingers crossed that nothing ever goes wrong because I'm almost positive I'll be stuck for months without a working system while I wait for Tesla.

Quick update: I think it starting to progress, somehow I have ended up on an email chain between my power company (Eversource) and Tesla with back and forth on getting the correct application docs. I took advice provided on another thread to tweet Eversource (I also called and emailed) and they appear to have reached out to Tesla which seems to have started the process. No clue if this will actually get completed in a reasonable time frame but fingers crossed. I still have not paid and I don't intend to until I turn the system on if I can help it.

Reactions: Zinc_Saucier
Quick update: I think it starting to progress, somehow I have ended up on an email chain between my power company (Eversource) and Tesla with back and forth on getting the correct application docs. I took advice provided on another thread to tweet Eversource (I also called and emailed) and they appear to have reached out to Tesla which seems to have started the process. No clue if this will actually get completed in a reasonable time frame but fingers crossed. I still have not paid and I don't intend to until I turn the system on if I can help it.
Yea, Twitter is the way to go with Eversource

Inspection completed May 25th 2021 (Started process in June 2020). Utility waiting for Inspection report. Believe Tesla has not provided paper work including the report. Missed out (by a Month) on the Rebate from Connecticut Green Bank, which could have saved me a chuck of change. The Energy division seems understaffed and overwhelmed.

PTO received yesterday for 16.32 KW system. 1 year and 1 month from order to turn on. Got a nice person at Eversource that pushed everything through in a week. Since Eversource gave me PTO, I went ahead and turned on the system. Did not wait for Telsa. Informed Tesla, but Tesla account info still says waiting for PTO.

We are having the same exact issue in Massachusetts. Installed in end of May, passed electrical inspection on the 27th, and paid in full cash on June 1st. I called NG on July 1st to see what the hold up was. They said Tesla had not yet submitted the paperwork. Now, halfway through August, I keep getting "prioritized" on the list to get the paperwork submitted , but no promises on a date. I have had it and submitted a complaint to the attorney generals office. I think if enough folks do the same, they will investigate.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
so their is hope! that means I only have to wait another four weeks 🙃
I have PTO yesterday! Tesla finally got around to correcting the paperwork they initially submitted incorrectly mid August to National Grid. They submitted the corrected paperwork on Sunday, NG approved Monday and Installed the meters Tuesday and gave PTO two hours after the meters are installed. It took about four months from electrical inspection to PTO. They delay was all due to Tesla being understaffed and apparently incompetent in the submission requirements as well. The thing that definitely spurred them along was me contacting the state attorney general office and filing a complaint.

Reactions: holeydonut
We are having the same exact issue in Massachusetts. Installed in end of May, passed electrical inspection on the 27th, and paid in full cash on June 1st. I called NG on July 1st to see what the hold up was. They said Tesla had not yet submitted the paperwork. Now, halfway through August, I keep getting "prioritized" on the list to get the paperwork submitted , but no promises on a date. I have had it and submitted a complaint to the attorney generals office. I think if enough folks do the same, they will investigate.
I'm on National Grid in NY, and nobody i've talked to at NG seems to have any idea who I talk to for information on what form is needed or who approves it there. My contact at NG got my net meter ordered & installed, and said he couldn't have ordered the meter if NG didn't have a passed inspection on file - that was installed on 9/2. I've ben hung up on by Tesla when I call, and the Inverter won't even pass it's self test! Great support - no word on what, when, or if they plan to do anything about it.

Well, it took 215 days to receive PTO. Most of it due to Tesla. NY-Sun, who gives out the grants was quick, and National Grid, my Utility was also quick (like 2 day approval) though even after that I had to call Tesla to remove the export restriction. I've gotten my first utility bill since PTO, and the figures bare no resemblance to what the Tesla App is telling me. The Tesla app says I used 261 kWh of off-peak power (when I charge my car), but the utility Bill says I only used 102. ...And for that amount I was charged about $4, while there's no charge for on-peak power where my solar output goes. I paid in full back in August '21, when the NYSERDA (NY-Sun) grant was 25 cents/watt, and Tesla submitted for the grant in 2022 when NYSERDA had raised the grant to 50 cents/watt, so Tesla says that they're going to cut me a check for the $2K difference. Of course i made sure that I let them know they owed it to me. :cool:

What's scary is all this PTO delay is going push everyone into NEM3.0 :(
NEM 3.0 still hasn't even been approved yet. The earlier draft had a delayed start date so I am not sure "everyone" is going to get pushed into 3.0. I do think if anyone in California is considering a solar system, now is the time before benefits are further eroded.

Last edited:
NEM 3.0 still hasn't even been approved yet. The earlier draft had a delayed start date so I am not sure "everyone" is going to get pushed into 3.0. I do think if anyone in California is considering a solar system, now is the time before benefits are further eroded.

Heh, my post you replied to was from Sep 15th, 2021

Back then, it was assumed Nov was some meeting and early 2022 was release or something for implementation within a few months or something. Now, the situation is totally up in the air, but people suspect they will have v2 draft of NEM3.0 soon.

Hopefully, without the fixed charges and no changes to existing grandfather timelines.