Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massive PTO Delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

krank12

Jul 13, 2021
MA
Very disappointed with Tesla, curious if others experiencing the same issue. Ordered system ~9/20, install on ~4/21. Inspection was delayed as the installer did not send correct paperwork which I had to resolve but was completed ~5/21. I'm still waiting on PTO and Tesla is telling me they have not event submitted paperwork yet as they are running up to 90 days behind on PTO filing. I have spoken to at least 6 different "project managers" with no satisfaction. Keep getting the runaround. I don't even have a number to call on my account anymore as that disappeared a few weeks ago. I have sent emails, tried to leave messages (the contact where I have a direct extension never picks up and VM is full) but no response.

I'm in MA and wondering if this is unique to my case or if others are experiencing the same and getting the same response. I am refusing to pay until system is up and running so only out $100 but honestly the whole thing is embarrassing.

Lol we need a master thread for people posting about Tesla's back office teams being understaffed and dropping the ball on seemingly routine items...

But yeah krank12, if you buy a system from Tesla Energy, you should expect to become your own project manager. It's basically your job to get on the horn and bubble up issues to the necessary person to move things along. This concept probably applies to any large corporate installer. These corporations have dozens of SMEs all taking a small piece of your project to task. Each person may see dozens of projects a day and they do their task well for the most part. But any hiccup in the process (PoCo's asking questions, missing paperwork, unreturned phone calls, etc) just sit in queue with no remediation since nobody's tasked with looking at the big picture or dealing with anomalies.

If you want a set-it-and-forget-it type of experience, you'll need a quality local installer.

Reactions: ryneezy
I've contacted the local energy company to confirm whether application actually submitted or not but still waiting on an answer now 3 days later. has anyone had any success with submitting PTO themselves? I have no idea what's involved.

I know there are conflicting reports on this, but I was told they would not file until I paid. I am currently 2 months past inspection and paid, still waiting for PTO. My paperwork has been submitted, but was kicked back to Tesla. Tesla eventually had to FedEx the paperwork because of issues, no clue as to why though. I have had the best luck simply speaking with any available solar advisor, never have talked to my assigned advisor, or received an email response.

BTW, I also asked Tesla for all the documents so I could file on my own, I was told that was not possible, and they would not send me the paperwork I needed to submit for PTO.

Good luck...

Very disappointed with Tesla, curious if others experiencing the same issue. Ordered system ~9/20, install on ~4/21. Inspection was delayed as the installer did not send correct paperwork which I had to resolve but was completed ~5/21. I'm still waiting on PTO and Tesla is telling me they have not event submitted paperwork yet as they are running up to 90 days behind on PTO filing. I have spoken to at least 6 different "project managers" with no satisfaction. Keep getting the runaround. I don't even have a number to call on my account anymore as that disappeared a few weeks ago. I have sent emails, tried to leave messages (the contact where I have a direct extension never picks up and VM is full) but no response.

I'm in MA and wondering if this is unique to my case or if others are experiencing the same and getting the same response. I am refusing to pay until system is up and running so only out $100 but honestly the whole thing is embarrassing.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Tesla will submit the paperwork for PTO until you are paid in full. I called a little over 2 weeks after paying and was told the same "up to 90 days to submit". But within a day after the call, my utility sent me a message saying the paperwork was submitted (although Tesla forgot to send the independent inspection certificate, which required a followup call after my utility informed me).

If paying in cash you could always use a CC as some security/leverage.

My timeline.
3/19 - Ordered
4/8 - Final agreement approved
5/25-26 - Installation
5/28 - Independent inspection
6/1 - Inspection passed and invoice generated on Tesla's website
6/1 - Payment via CC (had to call)
6/21 - Tesla submitted paperwork to utility for PTO
7/9 - Utility installed new meter and granted PTO

RC

I know there are conflicting reports on this, but I was told they would not file until I paid. I am currently 2 months past inspection and paid, still waiting for PTO. My paperwork has been submitted, but was kicked back to Tesla. Tesla eventually had to FedEx the paperwork because of issues, no clue as to why though. I have had the best luck simply speaking with any available solar advisor, never have talked to my assigned advisor, or received an email response.

BTW, I also asked Tesla for all the documents so I could file on my own, I was told that was not possible, and they would not send me the paperwork I needed to submit for PTO.

Good luck...

Thats been our understanding (that tesla will not move forward with submitting PTO until payment is received). There was one report from a person who says, basically, that a tesla front line person told them they didnt have to pay first. FWIW, I expect that person to end up disappointed, as 30-60 days from now, they are told "PTO has not been applied for because you have not paid yet", but would love to be wrong in that expecation.

For this OP, I also expect that tesla will not file for PTO until payment is rendered, but rendering payment will just put them in the queue, is my guess.

As far as OPs question "is anyone else experiencing this", I think actually everyone trying to get PTO through tesla right now is experiencing something like this.

@brian.c your own thread is just one example that this is fairly normal right now (unfortunately):

===================================================

(moderator note)

Lol we need a master thread for people posting about Tesla's back office teams being understaffed and dropping the ball on seemingly routine items...

I have actually contemplated this, and thought about turning the thread above from @brian.c into a master thread as it has a fair number of responses already, and is a decent representation of the struggles people are facing right now on this topic. I havent done it yet, though.

Thats been our understanding (that tesla will not move forward with submitting PTO until payment is received). There was one report from a person who says, basically, that a tesla front line person told them they didnt have to pay first. FWIW, I expect that person to end up disappointed, as 30-60 days from now, they are told "PTO has not been applied for because you have not paid yet", but would love to be wrong in that expecation.

For this OP, I also expect that tesla will not file for PTO until payment is rendered, but rendering payment will just put them in the queue, is my guess.

As far as OPs question "is anyone else experiencing this", I think actually everyone trying to get PTO through tesla right now is experiencing something like this.

@brian.c your own thread is just one example that this is fairly normal right now (unfortunately):

(moderator note)

I have actually contemplated this, and thought about turning the thread above from @brian.c into a master thread as it has a fair number of responses already, and is a decent representation of the struggles people are facing right now on this topic. I havent done it yet, though.
I just see this as part of what you get when you take the lowest bid! I just am amazed at how folks expect the same customer service from the lowest bid vs one more expensive. what do folks think the differences are? I expect staffing, response, etc! I paid more, and got better customer service, and faster turn around.

And even with things submitted, it still takes time for PGE to deal with, I am still waiting on mine.

I just see this as part of what you get when you take the lowest bid! I just am amazed at how folks expect the same customer service from the lowest bid vs one more expensive. what do folks think the differences are? I expect staffing, response, etc! I paid more, and got better customer service, and faster turn around.

And even with things submitted, it still takes time for PGE to deal with, I am still waiting on mine.
Not everyone signed up for Tesla energy when they were the lowest bidder. They were the 2nd highest bidder for my project back when they offered nicer contracts and top of the line Panasonic panels. So I do expect the customer service level of a premium installer, since that is what they were when I signed.

The reality is, their customer service has always sucked. Probably unrelated to them trying to be the cheapest guys on the block now. At least folks today can say they got a cheap system, unlike me, LOL.

Reactions: h2ofun

(moderator note)

Tesla never asked me for payment and then submitted PTO. I asked them if I could pay them 3 months after they submitted. I had to ask them a half dozen times before they finally sent me the payment link. I then called by phone to pay by credit card.

FYI,

My PTO was 75 days after the system passed inspection by the city. On day 72, which is after passing inspection, I got notified by Tesla that PTO app was submitted. There was no email from SDGE. 3 days later, I got email from SDGE that saying PTO was approved. Then 5 days after I got PTO email from SDGE, Tesla finally sends me a text that I could turn it on. Too, late, I turned it on when I got the email from SDGE.

The timeline from passing city inspection to PTO was crazy long! Other than that, I am about 250% energy offset for the each of the past 2 days.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Tesla will submit the paperwork for PTO until you are paid in full. I called a little over 2 weeks after paying and was told the same "up to 90 days to submit". But within a day after the call, my utility sent me a message saying the paperwork was submitted (although Tesla forgot to send the independent inspection certificate, which required a followup call after my utility informed me).

If paying in cash you could always use a CC as some security/leverage.

My timeline.
3/19 - Ordered
4/8 - Final agreement approved
5/25-26 - Installation
5/28 - Independent inspection
6/1 - Inspection passed and invoice generated on Tesla's website
6/1 - Payment via CC (had to call)
6/21 - Tesla submitted paperwork to utility for PTO
7/9 - Utility installed new meter and granted PTO

RC
Wow. A little over 1 month after inspection passing! I was gonna ask where you live, but found your old post: SE PA.

So that's ... Southeast Pennsylvania?

I just called Tesla, *again*. I'm in San Jose, CA, but somebody from the east coast took my call. She said that especially in California they're overwhelmed with processing these requests and are actually hiring from all over to process them.

She said the worst case scenario (max target?) is 90 days, which is what I'm seeing on these forums, but she insists they're working hard to try and get it sooner than that.

Wow. A little over 1 month after inspection passing! I was gonna ask where you live, but found your old post: SE PA.

So that's ... Southeast Pennsylvania?

I just called Tesla, *again*. I'm in San Jose, CA, but somebody from the east coast took my call. She said that especially in California they're overwhelmed with processing these requests and are actually hiring from all over to process them.

She said the worst case scenario (max target?) is 90 days, which is what I'm seeing on these forums, but she insists they're working hard to try and get it sooner than that.
Yep, South Eastern PA (19311 zip). Tesla hasnt officially recognized my PTO. I am just going on the utility (PECO) provider stopping out last friday for the meter swap. He gave me a pamphlet that said among other things, that I could officially turn on my system, and that it would take them (PECO) a few days to update their system to reflect the solar and send me the signed PTO.

I am waiting for the PECO portal to update with the PTO docs before I go back to Tesla to get the app fixed. I have a whole house generator, so they tapped the solar output on the line side of my ATS. The app is incorrectly adding the grid and solar portions to the home. So my home usage looks massive.

For what it's worth, Tesla told me 90 days too. If i was to do it again, I would have called earlier than I did. I can't say that my call did anything, but PTO paperwork was submitted shortly after.

I'm in Rhode Island, it took 7 months to get PTO, this was after months of delays on install too. Tesla submitted the wrong application twice, then just stop trying to submit the paperwork to the electric company. I kept calling my advisor and leaving her messages. Finally, I get someone else who tells me my advisor was fired months ago and my case was never reassigned to anyone so no one had even looked at it in over two months. I finally get Tesla to submit the correct paperwork and National Grid dropped the ball and almost two more months passed. Finally, I tweeted National Grid a picture of a complaint form I filled out on the public utility commission website. I got a call 20 minutes later with PTO.

I'm installing another system because I got a second EV. I didn't even consider Tesla. It's sad, the Tesla installers were amazing. They did a very clean job, moved my powerwalls further away from the gateway and main panel simply because it looked better. Walked me through everything, and cleaned up after themselves. They were friendly and professional, unlike the advisors who were some of the worst human beings I have ever spoken to. My advisor lied repeatedly about state incentives I would receive, about the status of the project, and about PTO.

I waited a little over a month for Tesla to complete what appeared to be a simple single sheet of paper to the utility... contacted the utility and they said the fee had been paid so I filled out the sheet and emailed it. They asked for 2 photos and that all was done within a few minutes... 2 days later they installed a new net meter :)