Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massively ICE'd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me once. Now I carry a custom made extension cable and some sheets printed in 18 point font I leave on their dash.

Please do not park in the places for electric vehicles. At the moment there are not many places to charge an electric car and many of us early adopters plan our routes on how and where we can charge. If we arrive and all parking spaces are full we could be left stranded.

By having people drive electric vehicles it helps you by helping to keep a lid on the demand and price of gasoline. If demand for gasoline drops then the prices can stabilize, but if we all use more gas we can be sure the prices will continue to rise.

So please help keep these spaces open for those people that need them.

Thank you

In both photos the car is towing something, so they went to the back of the lot to park it. They have NO clue what a Tesla charging station is.

NOW, should these places be marked better--YES.

Well, gosh, I see no less than THREE signs in the OP's picture, INCLUDING one marked with a big 'P' and a line through it, which universally means NO PARKING (read the fine print).

The truth is people are self-centered, self-serving jerks. Whether you know what a Tesla charger is or not, does not excuse parking in an area that CLEARLY serves a specific purpose, of which said human very deliberately decided to ignore. Stop making excuses for *******s.

You can make excuses for this kind of behavior, but there is no excuse. If I were driving one of those rigs and saw the no parking signs and never heard of Tesla I would never park there. I realize that it is hard to find parking for an extended truck and trailer, but have some respect for others. I do not think this kind of action will ever change because idiots will continue to be idiots, do not want to go all human behavior on everyone but it all starts with there upbringing. Once trailer trash always trailer trash. Please no reputation comments.

This suggestion is for fun, not in anyway endorsed/recommended in reality: what about siphoning the fuel
from his tank? There should be enough to start and move clear of the supercharger, but he soon understands what it is to be running
on empty and needing a top up?

This, except leave a couple ounces of fuel, just enough to reach the nearby gas pumps.
Of course, odd that the local Tesla owners club happened to have a meeting at the gas station that night (wink wink).

Harris Ranch and other super chargers are frequently out in the middle of nowhere. Coalinga which is 5-6 miles away may have just one or two policemen on duty. Traffic tickets on private property are probably not their priority.

I am curious about the Corning Signage. I have only been there once and there seems to be plenty of parking so it shouldn't get ice'd. The thing I thought that was odd was the signs. It looks like there were signs behind each stall, mounted w/ 4 concrete j-bolts (or whatever) and nuts. The sign posts, all but 1, I think, have been cutoff and ground flush with the base plate. any one know a reason for this?

Educate the local authorities, many of whom are not even aware that statues exist to protect EV charging spots. For instance, here in Arizona there is a statute that allows someone who is blocking an EV spot to be fined $275. However, if you call the police 99 out of 100 officers will have no clue that such a statute exists. I have contacted the police chief for the City of Buckeye and made him aware. He thanked me and in turn called his counterpart with the County to make sure the Sheriff's Office was equally versed with this statute. They told me the officers would undergo training regarding this law.

I have yet to see the Buckeye superchargers ICEd.

California Bill AB 475 was signed into law in August, 2011 and allows Government agencies and private parties who provide charging stations to designate them as being for vehicles connected for charging purposes only. The legislation requires a sign that says “Unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner’s expense. Towed vehicles may be reclaimed at” followed by the address and phone number of the impound lot.

There are also local ordinances that in some cases co-exist with state law. For example, here is a link to an ordinance for the city of Roseville, California that was passed in April and has been in effect for a couple months.

However, the Roseville Superchargers currently do not have the required signs posted in order for the city ordinance (5331) or the California vehicle code (CVC 22511) to apply.

Without the California regulatory signs in place, I don't see how there can be enforcement under CVC 22511 (AB475).

Rosevillesign.jpg
Roseville60.jpg

Signs at Roseville, CA Superchargers on July 17, 2014.

California Bill AB 475 was signed into law in August, 2011 and allows Government agencies and private parties who provide charging stations to designate them as being for vehicles connected for charging purposes only. The legislation requires a sign that says “Unauthorized vehicles not connected for electric charging purposes will be towed away at owner’s expense. Towed vehicles may be reclaimed at” followed by the address and phone number of the impound lot.

CA AB475 is a difficult one. We (local EV groups) actively spoke AGAINST that ordinance because you can get ticketed if you are not actively charging. If someone walks by and unplugs you, YOU can get ticketed. It means that for a Level 2 charger, you cannot place one charger in between four adjacent parking spaces and mark them all for EV charging, because only one could be actively charging. It requires one charger per EV designated space and one actively charging vehicle in that space. (You better know when your vehicle is going to finish!) It is poorly written. As a result, the legislature left it to local municipalities to determine applicability and enforcement.

- - - Updated - - -

There are also local ordinances that in some cases co-exist with state law. For example, here is a link to an ordinance for the city of Roseville, California that was passed in April and has been in effect for a couple months.

However, the Roseville Superchargers currently do not have the required signs posted in order for the city ordinance (5331) or the California vehicle code (CVC 22511) to apply.

Without the California regulatory signs in place, I don't see how there can be enforcement under CVC 22511 (AB475).

View attachment 54458View attachment 54459
Signs at Roseville, CA Superchargers on July 17, 2014.

The placement, however, of the Roseville Superchargers is in an area that would discourage someone icing by mistake. It's nowhere near any general parking for any business. Mansours, the only business nearby, has tons of convenient parking that doesn't come close to the supercharging area (and is a big supporter of the supercharger). Icing has not been a problem in Roseville because there is no one looking for a parking spot and inadvertently parking there.

CA AB475 is a difficult one. We (local EV groups) actively spoke AGAINST that ordinance because you can get ticketed if you are not actively charging. If someone walks by and unplugs you, YOU can get ticketed. It means that for a Level 2 charger, you cannot place one charger in between four adjacent parking spaces and mark them all for EV charging, because only one could be actively charging. It requires one charger per EV designated space and one actively charging vehicle in that space. (You better know when your vehicle is going to finish!) It is poorly written. As a result, the legislature left it to local municipalities to determine applicability and enforcement.

Given that Teslas can't be unplugged at a supercharger by anyone but the owner, the Supercharger spots could have signs that refer to AB475 so that ICErs can get towed, right? I know this is throwing other EV owners under the bus, but this is a Tesla forum...

Given that Teslas can't be unplugged at a supercharger by anyone but the owner, the Supercharger spots could have signs that refer to AB475 so that ICErs can get towed, right? I know this is throwing other EV owners under the bus, but this is a Tesla forum...

Enforcement is by locality, not specific location. If Roseville decides to enforce AB475 and Tesla puts up signs there, then they enforce everywhere in Roseville. Since icing is not a problem at the Roseville superchargers (not a single report that I am aware of), why create a problem for everyone? As far as throwing other EV'ers under the bus ... I do happen to use the same charging infrastructure they use, relying on J1772s in many places. We're all going for the same outcome here. It's not just about Tesla. "A rising tide floats all boats."

And note that if a Tesla at the Supercharger finishes charging, but the owner is not there to move the car, they would then be in violation of CA AB475 because they would no longer be 'actively charging'. Want a ticket for that? No? ... And that is why this law is not being actively enforced. (We tried very hard to get this one changed, but it was late in the game. So now it's pretty useless...)