Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massively ICE'd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure the rolling coal crowd could care less about our attempts to "educate them". Silly bumper stickers aren't going to damage public EV relations, don't be so dramatic.

Yes it will. How would you react if someone put a bumper sticker on your new Model S? I don't think most people who block charging stations are being malicious, they're just clueless. Let's not give them a reason to become malicious next time.

I'm pretty sure the rolling coal crowd could care less about our attempts to "educate them". Silly bumper stickers aren't going to damage public EV relations, don't be so dramatic.

Are you new here??? Yes, silly bumper stickers ARE going to damage public EV relations. No one has a right to mess with someone else's property, even if you feel you've been wronged. I'd be more than annoyed if someone did that to me and it only serves to escalate tension. It's not helpful and doesn't move anything towards resolution.

This idea some people are implying that because they drive a EV they're a better, or smarter, or more caring, or otherwise somehow a superior human being than the masses who drive ICE cars will do a disservice to the effort to promote EVs. I didn't buy a EV to make a political statement. The vast majority of people who drive ICE cars didn't buy it to make a political statement either. If there's anything that causes anti-EV sentiment it's the perceived smugness of some EV owners.

This idea some people are implying that because they drive a EV they're a better, or smarter, or more caring, or otherwise somehow a superior human being than the masses who drive ICE cars will do a disservice to the effort to promote EVs. I didn't buy a EV to make a political statement. The vast majority of people who drive ICE cars didn't buy it to make a political statement either. If there's anything that causes anti-EV sentiment it's the perceived smugness of some EV owners.

I didn't read that into this thread. It's more of people being upset that their fueling stations are being blocked, sometimes on purpose. If we parked at a gas station blocking the pump and went to see a movie you better believe people would be pissed and they would have every right.

I didn't read that into this thread. It's more of people being upset that their fueling stations are being blocked, sometimes on purpose. If we parked at a gas station blocking the pump and went to see a movie you better believe people would be pissed and they would have every right.

+1.

I don't know what I would've done. Very irritating to see the photo. It's like purposely parking an RV in effort to block all the gas station pumps and off you go to a picnic.

- - - Updated - - -

They may retaliate with bumper stickers (or worse) on our Teslas. We have far more to loose than they do.

+1 ^

I'm referring to the "rolling coal" descriptions in this thread and some other threads in which posters make derogatory comments about people who don't share their views on global warming. It's actually more of a problem on the TM forum, probably most of it gets moderated out here, but there some comments would really turn off a potential EV owner who didn't happen to share the poster's political views. We can't let EVs become associated with a political viewpoint or party and write off a large portion of the potential customer base.

I do not see buying the Tesla as a political statement, and what is great about this country is that people can have divergent views. I respect different views as long as they do not infringe on my view or do something that is destructive then I can tolerate those views.

Last edited:
I'm referring to the "rolling coal" descriptions in this thread and some other threads in which posters make derogatory comments about people who don't share their views on global warming. It's actually more of a problem on the TM forum, probably most of it gets moderated out here, but there some comments would really turn off a potential EV owner who didn't happen to share the poster's political views. We can't let EVs become associated with a political viewpoint or party and write off a large portion of the potential customer base.

Well the rolling coal people are the ones with the in your face attitude if I understand the movement correctly. They come up to their victims and blow the smoke in their face.

Otherwise we come across as wealthy snobby luxury electric car owners who feel that we are entitled.

Sure. That is, as opposed to coming across as wealthy (big diesel trucks and the four wheelers they tow are not cheap) snobby coal rolling car owners who feel that they are entitled [to ICE and to flaunt their disdain for environmental issues]. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Agree. Someone may want to put bumper stickers but it's far better to get them a ticket or have them towed if there are laws in place that allow that.

Agree. My previous comment notwithstanding it does no good to escalate the tension that apparently already exists.

I just looked back through this thread and don't see the smugness or anyone implying they're better, smarter, more caring, or superior in any way. So how did this come up? People are just saying it's not cool to block spots that they need to charge their cars. Is that a debatable point? I thought we were just debating how to react to that, not if it was okay or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, we try to limit the political overtones here on this forum. But you have no idea the heat we (moderators) take over that. You'd think we stole their favorite toy. It's a CAR forum, people!

@bonnie: The "green snobbery" issue is more structural than personal. But there's a personal component we should seek to avoid.

Consider: You're stuck in traffic, watching single-occupant EVs whizzing by in the "carpool" lane. You finally get to your destination and try to find parking, but the only available spaces are marked "EV only". They don't even have chargers, they are just reserved for EVs (yes, we have those in CA). AND the EV drivers get tax rebates. AND they don't pay gas taxes, which fund road maintenance. It's infuriating, no? You are being excluded from public facilities that your tax dollars paid for. Only the wealthy few who can afford these vehicles are permitted to use the infrastructure that everyone else pays to build and maintain.

These public policies are motivated by something else entirely -- trying to jump-start the transition away from oil -- but the net effect is undeniable: the rich get richer. Against that backdrop, it shows a lack of empathy when those of us who are lucky enough to be able to afford a Tesla -- and to enjoy the public privileges that come with it -- lay claim to the green moral high ground.

Worth noting that those perks do not exist universally in other states. In other states fees are paid to offset gas tax for road repairs. In WA we do not get to use the HOV lanes. And I've not seen a non-charging EV parking spot yet. The oil companies get tax rebates for "exploration" costs, not the fault of EV owners and my income tax dollars go to Exxon et al too. :)