Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Brake Cylinder Brace from Mountain Pass Performance MPP

Will you order the brace?

• Yes

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, you are right, there's one additional cross brace. All the hardware, including the spacers, and even the color are almost exactly the same. Definitely "not a knockoff" (a copy or imitation of someone or something popular). In fact, it's so different, one could easily tell which is which off-hand when placing them side-by-side.

View attachment 765586

TLDR; it's a knockoff. They absolutely copied MPP's product, it couldn't be more obvious.

If you still want to buy it so be it, but don't pretend it's not a knockoff 🤣

@MasterC17 that is clearly not a knockoff. The product on the right is upside down, so the pictures are different.

Offended? No. But you claimed it wasn't a knockoff, and it very clearly is.

Personally, I'm more comfortable supporting the company that originally designed this, and who offers excellent customer support and products to the community. MPP was making products for the Model 3 when many, many other aftermarket companies wouldn't even consider it (a lot of whom have since changed their tone given the sheer volume of cars sold).

I'm sure it works just fine, but to me it's not just about the cost.

It honestly looks like tons of other master cylinder braces for other cars. Blue anodized aluminum is pretty common on car parts too. Would it have been in better taste to pick a different color? Yeah definitely. But this isn't a novel idea.

The MPP one has more bracing though, so it would be nice to see if there's any difference in flex.

Reactions: nsyr
It honestly looks like tons of other master cylinder braces for other cars. Blue anodized aluminum is pretty common on car parts too. Would it have been in better taste to pick a different color? Yeah definitely. But this isn't a novel idea.

The MPP one has more bracing though, so it would be nice to see if there's any difference in flex.
No offense, but I think you just proved my point by confusing the two :p. The MPP one has the single cross-brace. Though, I don't think it would make any functional difference either way.

FWIW, a quick Google images search of master cylinder brace yields nothing that looks anything like these.

Reactions: NoNoBadDog
FWIW, a quick Google images search of master cylinder brace yields nothing that looks anything like these.
MCB's all look very different because they have to span and bolt to very different positions. However, there are a bunch that share very similar construction for other cars:

329-thickbox_default.jpg
06821e_43a6a8e10b5a4e9894672afaad332f80_mv2.jpg
EVS-ZCB-HALD01-A06_640x640.jpg
Golden_eagle_brake_booster_master_Cyl_Out.jpg
IMG_0214.JPG
radium-engineering-radium-nissan-r32-skyline-master-cylinder-brace-20-0586__93971.1631813318.jpg
mc_brace_green.jpg
DET-s2kBMCB2-1.png
2020111915214415N21S44VX.jpg

Reactions: Lindenwood and nsyr
MCB's all look very different because they have to span and bolt to very different positions. However, there are a bunch that share very similar construction for other cars:

View attachment 768573View attachment 768574View attachment 768577View attachment 768578View attachment 768579View attachment 768581View attachment 768580View attachment 768576View attachment 768575
What are you trying to say? Idea is not new, design was obviously stolen. End of story.

Mine is tight, even adjusted to its shortest length. I had to unbolt the suspension brace to get everything to line up for installation - I wonder if my firewall was bowed a bit forward, given that it‘s barely short enough. It’s not coming off, though, and there’s no flex when I brake, very solid feel.

Crap... you're probably right.
Doesn't the car use the brakes to hold the car while in Park?
This means there was already flex when I installed mine.
Gunna check soon as I get home and have someone keep it in neutral with a brick behind the tire lol
It only uses the service brakes while in hold mode when in drive. When in park it activates the parking brakes in the rear calipers. (The master cylinder shouldn't be involved.)

Last edited:
Anyone ever thrown a micrometer on the distance between the master cylinder and the brace before you tightened it down and then pressed the brake pedal?

I did and was surprised to see the distance *increases* when you press the pedal, not decreases, at least on my car. It pivots around a point below the master cylinder, it doesn't just move the whole firewall forward. You can also do this by putting a sheet of paper between the brace and the MC, and just screwing it out enough to barely pinch the paper. Press the pedal hard and see if the paper falls out.

Would be interested to see if this is common. It may be that braces work by pre-loading the firewall, not preventing motion.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Anyone ever thrown a micrometer on the distance between the master cylinder and the brace before you tightened it down and then pressed the brake pedal?

I did and was surprised to see the distance *increases* when you press the pedal, not decreases, at least on my car. It pivots around a point below the master cylinder, it doesn't just move the whole firewall forward. You can also do this by putting a sheet of paper between the brace and the MC, and just screwing it out enough to barely pinch the paper. Press the pedal hard and see if the paper falls out.

Would be interested to see if this is common. It may be that braces work by pre-loading the firewall, not preventing motion.
I doubt that is the case. Maybe @MountainPass will chime in here and clear it up for us. Whatever it is, I’m liking mine.

Yep! We tested the MC brace on both the Model 3 and S using a dial indicator to be sure that we are reducing the movement. On both cars, the master cylinder pivots on an upward arc rather than the firewall just moving forwards. The arc is more aggressive on the 3, so the brace needs to be mounted at multiple points to prevent it from lifting up. The Model S is almost strictly moving forwards so we are able to make a brace that works in compression alone.

So the goal of a master cylinder brace on a model 3 is to prevent upward movement, not forward movement? And as part of this arc, it actually moves away from the brace?

If that's true, why does your brace contact the "forward" face of the MC, not the top? You're relying on friction in a sheer plane that reduces the harder you press to control the movement?

In my measurements I found about .013" of lateral movement (away) without the brace. What do you find with the brace?

Reactions: EVolv3d