Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Charger for sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jschwefel

Tesla fan/TSLA, Model Y and Cybertruck owner.
Apr 30, 2016
Indy or FL
E74C5FAB-609B-4D0D-A184-10058F7822A2.jpeg
I recently had the master charger in my 2012 Model S replaced at the Tesla Service Center in Indianapolis. On the invoice it is listed as...

Master Charger - RH - 1st Generation
ASY - CHRGR - SEALED - 10kW - (6009278-84-F)

I later found this video
; the symptoms are exactly what I experienced. I suspect the problem is one of the 50 fuses as shown in the video, which seems like a very straightforward repair. However, I have not taken the unit apart to verify this. I’d like to get at least $800 for the unit; new they cost $2000, and remanufactured they are $1600. Let me know if interested.
9AADC184-B777-433D-8AAD-F15AD7DE4918.jpeg

That’s completely understandable; I wouldn’t either. I’ve been thinking about checking/replacing the fuse myself to make sure that was the problem. I just haven’t done that yet. I don’t want to sell the unit, even for a bit less, and it has other issues.

I opened the charger and checked for continuity across both fuses like in the video. BTW, the video was excellent in showing exactly what needed to be disassembled. Unfortunately, both fuses check out ok, which must mean something else is wrong. The box is clean otherwise (see pictures). Selling as is. Make offer if interested.

Attachments

• 1833F87E-CAF9-437D-9F9A-94EB877DEFCC.jpeg
    1833F87E-CAF9-437D-9F9A-94EB877DEFCC.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 6006795A-37A0-4D86-82A9-5D2865CB59E3.jpeg
    6006795A-37A0-4D86-82A9-5D2865CB59E3.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 9DB3798C-1AB4-4085-AD43-24E52554B75C.jpeg
    9DB3798C-1AB4-4085-AD43-24E52554B75C.jpeg
    588 KB · Views: 102
I believe this part is outdated. The invoice for my replacement lists the part as "Master Charger - RH - 2nd Generation."

I wish I had consulted this board before. Tesla told me two weeks ago I needed to replace my Master Charger at a charge of $2k for the part and $1k for service. My car is a 2014 Model S85 with only 35,000 miles on it.Warranty expired in June '18. Not having seen the discussions on this board I didn't know to check the fuses, which might have been especially apt since my charging cable shorted out damaging my Nema plug just a few months ago. ( Of course, Tesla denied the damage to the charger could be related to the cable shorting out just as they had earlier denied that the charger cable/plug was defective.; they blamed the electrician, but there was nothing wrong with the wiring done by my very reputable electrician).

Faced with a $3k repair, I started thinking how expensive future repairs would be when more things broke on this car, (like the two door handle assemblies that were replaced while my car was in warranty). They agreed to allow me to purchase the 4 year extended warranty for $4750 and cover this master charger repair under the newly purchased extended .warranty. Guess that was a good thing because while replacing the charger they decided the drive unit also needed to be replaced(!)

• Informative
Reactions: NOLADriver
View attachment 271796 I recently had the master charger in my 2012 Model S replaced at the Tesla Service Center in Indianapolis. On the invoice it is listed as...

Master Charger - RH - 1st Generation
ASY - CHRGR - SEALED - 10kW - (6009278-84-F)

I later found this video
; the symptoms are exactly what I experienced. I suspect the problem is one of the 50 fuses as shown in the video, which seems like a very straightforward repair. However, I have not taken the unit apart to verify this. I’d like to get at least $800 for the unit; new they cost $2000, and remanufactured they are $1600. Let me know if interested. View attachment 271795
You mentioned you had the symptoms, what are the symptoms of a Master Charger going bad?

In my case the car would not supercharge. Home charging was fine but supercharging would say "starting to charge" and then after a bit it would stop. Can't remember if I ever got a red ring or if it just said starting to charge over and over. AC charging worked just fine.

You mentioned you had the symptoms, what are the symptoms of a Master Charger going bad?
I just went thru this. Error I got was unable to charge. My hpwc would attempt to initiate but it would just click and retry then eventually just end up with red ring. I replaced both a50p50-4 fuses that are inside the onboard charger and its all back to normal now. I have 4 extra fuses just in case someone local needs them or if I end up needing them again. Its not difficult to change them out but you need to follow all the safety steps when dealing with the high Voltage systems in a tesla or other ev.

The symptoms were mainly the red ring that would illuminate around the charge port after after several attempts to start charging. I could still supercharge, but that wasn’t really convenient for me, so I had the charger replaced.

I just went thru this. Error I got was unable to charge. My hpwc would attempt to initiate but it would just click and retry then eventually just end up with red ring. I replaced both a50p50-4 fuses that are inside the onboard charger and its all back to normal now. I have 4 extra fuses just in case someone local needs them or if I end up needing them again. Its not difficult to change them out but you need to follow all the safety steps when dealing with the high Voltage systems in a tesla or other ev.
When you checked the continuity for all the fuses did they have continuity or were any of them bad? (With multimeter)

The symptoms were mainly the red ring that would illuminate around the charge port after after several attempts to start charging. I could still supercharge, but that wasn’t really convenient for me, so I had the charger replaced.
Were your fuses bad???? I really need to know… Mine seems to be directly related to the temperature. When it gets too hot it’ll stop charging but if I let the car cool down it’ll charge no prob.

My 2013 P85+ with 55k miles just had this problem where it would not change on AC. It will charge at Supercharger which is DC. Tesla SC just sent me estimate of $2416.38 for reman part number 6009278-84-F plus $241.50 in labor. I guess I will ask for my original charger and replace the fuses in case it happens again and have a 3rd party shop swap out. What sucks is mine has dual chargers and it won't fail over to 2nd charger if primary fails.